agesilaus

Got my Census notice

I just got a bit stumped (now 71 LOL) with question where do you live  as full timers we are not physically at the escapees address but I understand that is our legal address and on our Drivers License and vehicle registration . So we just give our Escapees address even though as the question is phrased we are not physically living there on April 1st 2020?

For anyone questioning the additional letter received.  Here are the Census dates:

Mid-March - people received letters with instructions

March 16-24 - a second reminder letter is sent

March 26-April 3 - a reminder postcard is sent

April 8 - a 4th letter is sent which will include a paper questionnaire

April 20 - a final mailing with "It's not too late to respond" postcard

WHO'S PAYING FOR ALL THIS POSTAGE?

WHO'S PAYING FOR ALL THIS POSTAGE?

That's a senseless question, who pays for everything----we do. The post office is expected to go into bankruptcy before the end of the year.

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

That's a senseless question, who pays for everything----we do. The post office is expected to go into bankruptcy before the end of the year.

Bankruptcy?  Again?  Seems like every year it's predicted.

3 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Bankruptcy?  Again?  Seems like every year it's predicted.

Yup same problem they are way behind on required pension plan payments. Plus email and the internet have hammered them. The Census online reporting for example, think about all those paper census forms that are not being sent and are not feeding money into the postal system.

What's the big deal? - -   Much ado over *NOTHING* !..😕

Reply online, select the address you like (probably the one on the mailing) - and go for it...😉

Takes all of about two minutes - or less.

Then......start a  *NEW THREAD* about the USPS financial situation or  "whatever" comes to mind.

Done.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

7 hours ago, docj said:

The statistically average Congressional district contains ~750,000 people; your presence or absence is of little significance for representation purposes but it might be far more important for all the other programs that rely on the government having an accurate headcount.

Agreed. Funding for projects like road repair. South Dakota winters make their need more critical than that of Texas. How do you, as an individual, decide which state needs the money more? Do you do that analysis then move to that state just before April first so you can be sure they get the money you decide they need? There are poor and hungry people in EVERY state. Yes, in Minnesota we have homeless living on the streets in the winter. Do they not deserve government funded programs as much as any other people?

Linda Sand

21 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Do they not deserve government funded programs as much as any other people?

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about.  Sure there are lots of needs throughout the country that rely on government funding.  i don't think anyone ever said one was more important than the other.  The census headcount is used to allocate federal dollars for lots of programs.

The only thing I said was that the census form I filled out online asked me the address I would be at on April 1.  Some people have insisted that the "correct" address was the one where they are legally domiciled.  They are free to make that choice but I'm pretty sure that the census has always recorded  who was in a particular household the day the census worker came by.  If you think about it, in the days before modern communications it would have been impossible to say "John Smith, over there, he's visiting us from Michigan so he ought to be counted on Detroit's census sheets." Of course that couldn't be done which is why the Census has always been a snapshot of who was where on a particular date.

As I said before, I don't honestly care how anyone else fills out his or her census form.  I completed mine in the manner that I believe was intended.  Each of you can do as you please.

We have not yet gotten any mail on this. We are full timers and are not in Texas at this  point in time. We get our mail forwarded to where we are and as said still have not received any information. Our forwarded mail from Escapees address goes out every Monday and again we have not received any information . We eve  had our primary vote delivered late,  but that was A OK as our chosen candidate is the front runner anyway!

We would like to add our census  so our state of Escapees  domain address can help but as said we still have not received any census mail to date 3/26/20

2 hours ago, Ron & Linda R said:

We have not yet gotten any mail on this. We are full timers and are not in Texas at this  point in time. We get our mail forwarded to where we are and as said still have not received any information. Our forwarded mail from Escapees address goes out every Monday and again we have not received any information . We eve  had our primary vote delivered late,  but that was A OK as our chosen candidate is the front runner anyway!

We would like to add our census  so our state of Escapees  domain address can help but as said we still have not received any census mail to date 3/26/20

You don't have to wait for the mail to do the census.  You can go to https://my2020census.gov/ and fill out the questionnaire.  You just won't have the census ID which comes with the mail out and is tied to your mailing address.

I'm the OP on this post and I thought it was a minor post that maybe would get a few views and one or two replies. Just goes to show that you never know what threads have the longest 'legs'....heh.

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

You just won't have the census ID which comes with the mail out and is tied to your mailing address.

Just click on the website link for "I don't have my code".  As long as you have the address, that's all you need.

19 hours ago, Ron & Linda R said:

So we just give our Escapees address even though as the question is phrased we are not physically living there on April 1st 2020?

I would think a little bit about the purpose of the census.  The #1 item is to allocate US Representatives. Would you no choose that to be where you vote?

12 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Just goes to show that you never know what threads have the longest 'legs'.

This may replace toilet paper and waste tank chemicals as the hottest topic!

Just now, Big Rick said:

I still have not received the census. I was going to complete on line but have to have the PIN

If you dont have a pin, you just need to put in your address when asked. No pin needed.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:26 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Save postage, delay the census until AFTER the Covid-19 crisis. 

WHY?  You can complete the census online, so there's absolutely no reason to delay it.

I haven't received any paper work so yesterday filed on line using my legal Escapee's address. I thought the form was a little mis-leading as compared to past forms. Especially when it got to the second home which my wife is a legal resident at.

Actually I'm at a difference Texas location but we are both White American.

Clay     Staying put for another month