Cutting openings to fuel tank cap.

Pete Kildow

Who every built our bed on the KW. For some unknown reason, did not leave access to the rear 2 fuel tanks. There 14" back under the bed, so yesterday, let one see the light of day. The truck is a 1995 model, was used commercial to pull doubles for around 6 months. Then hit a deer, Dillards sold the truck. Rather then replace the hood, bumper and Cooling stack (AC, Turbo and engine Rad)

Then in 1996 the bed was built and mounted on the truck. All they had to do, was cut 2 access holes and mount the cutout back for lids. But rather then do that. Allowed fuel to flow from each front tank. Back to the rear tanks, they both have cross over lines on bottom.  Not left and right just front to back. Sure made it run when were filling up. And the lines were feeding both tanks. You could pump in 470 gallons total if empty. Now I have the drivers side cut. Still have to weld tabs under the bed. Then weld the hinge on, going to also add a lock to the lid.

Took longer to lay out the cut, then cut it out with the side grinder and cutoff wheel. If the rain had held off, would have gotten the other side opened up also.

The access hole looks huge, but its only 10"x10" being the tank was under there. Wanted plenty of room to add fuel to these tanks. Used magnets to test fit the cutout. And it fits perfect, being the cut was so thin. May have issues when I roll on the bed liner on top of the bed.

fnqFizIl.jpg

Cutoff wheel was new, cut 40" and still over 75% left. There thin and cut great, have more on order.

g9Xbbahl.jpg

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

I applaud the "fix it spirit"! Have a problem, or an issue, figure out the fix, grab a tool, "git it done". Alternative, look at the sky, have the rain splash on your face, add to the moisture with your tears🧐😔

Now for the fun🤤. The deck builder had to be a pickup owner (only), "they always have a filler neck on the side skirt someplace"

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, Sehc said:

Brave use of a cutoff wheel near the fuel tank. :)

No way to cause an issue. Being the tanks were dry. Plus had wet them down with a water hose before starting. Now if they had been gas tanks. I would have just used the metal cutting saw.

Plus I stayed 3 nights in a Holiday Inn Express a few weeks ago.😁

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

On 3/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, phoenix2013 said:

I applaud the "fix it spirit"! Have a problem, or an issue, figure out the fix, grab a tool, "git it done". Alternative, look at the sky, have the rain splash on your face, add to the moisture with your tears🧐😔

Now for the fun🤤. The deck builder had to be a pickup owner (only), "they always have a filler neck on the side skirt someplace"

I agree have always been that way. But growing up on a dirt poor farm. We fixed it anyway we could. Get the job done, then figure out a better fix later. Don't know what I would do, if I could not weld, built and figure out stuff.

There's a few items on this bed That screams Pipe welder rig. That or like you posted pickup bed builder. NO thought on how anyone would get to the top air bag bolts. Or how anyone could get to a few items. But that was worked around also. Still need to fix the fender flares. Lower the rear and he tires rub the mounting brackets.🤬 But remove cut and weld along the edge like it should be. That also will be taken care of.

Building the doors Sat. If I can find the hinges with all that's going on these days.

event.png

Not everything is obvious on semis, I'm an engineer, but it took me a while, watching, reading and listening to advice to become an "expert?". There are things that one does not know or learn working on pickups. Most important, semi frame rails are "not expected" to be covered other than in the areas of the hitch plate. You need access "from the top" to the tanks, fuel tank sensors, suspension parts, brake parts, ABS, etc., etc. Tires stick up above the frame rails with a suspension up and even higher (4.5 inches) with suspension down. Deck has to be 5 inches above the rails. Put a nice skirt on the deck, you'll trap the tires and you will not be able to remove them 😣.  Many other surprises.

When you get done with this bed, you will be an "expert".

Edited by phoenix2013

On 4/3/2020 at 2:01 PM, phoenix2013 said:

Not everything is obvious on semis, I'm an engineer, but it took me a while, watching, reading and listening to advice to become an "expert?". There are things that one does not know or learn working on pickups. Most important, semi frame rails are "not expected" to be covered other than in the areas of the hitch plate. You need access "from the top" to the tanks, fuel tank sensors, suspension parts, brake parts, ABS, etc., etc. Tires stick up above the frame rails with a suspension up and even higher (4.5 inches) with suspension down. Deck has to be 5 inches above the rails. Put a nice skirt on the deck, you'll trap the tires and you will not be able to remove them 😣.  Many other surprises.

When you get done with this bed, you will be an "expert".

I sure hope not, don't want to even think I would be an expert on it. LOL Now I have hand built log trailers. Extended the frame on a few semi's. Build gravel washers, and welded better then the Certified guys weld's. Welded Steam pipes in a paper mill. But just a dumb country boy. And enjoy building stuff.

I did see one guy, bragging about his bed build a few weeks ago. I was at the fuel pumps with mine. He pulled up, and was so happy with his bed. Until I pointed out how he has built is bed around the tires. Looked good, but no way to get a tire and wheel off.😱

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png