National Parks closing?

Twotoes

Many sports, NBA, March Madness, MLB etc have canceled or postponed their season, many attractions, Disney, Legoland, Bush Gardens, Universal Studios etc. have temporarily closed and now I have even heard that all Apple retail stores are closing. Will the Federal Government close the National Parks in the near future? I hope not, but if they don’t would go visit?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On NPS closures, I found this information on the NPS, About Us pages stating as of March 15:

Park and Facility Closures

Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health authorities in consultation with NPS Public Health Service Officers, the below parks and facilities are temporarily closed. Updates will be posted to the park's website and social media channels.

Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Please see Golden Gate National Recreation Area's temporary closure advisory page for additional details, or visit the park links below.

National Mall and Memorial Parks

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would prefer an abundance of caution in advance and hear all the complaints afterwards that it wasn't as bad a predicted than to not act and incur the worst case scenarios.

Alternatives to our travels:

14 minutes ago, Velos said:

I would prefer an abundance of caution in advance and hear all the complaints afterwards that it wasn't as bad a predicted than to not act and incur the worst case scenarios.

Bingo!  Caution is the key word, not panic.  I like your list, alot of common sense and suggestions there.  We are not on the road so it is a good time to continue, for us, to work on our home, paint, continue working on re-modeling.  Soon as it warms up a few degrees, I will do some much needed work on our camper.  Might put traveling out of state off a month or so.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

4 hours ago, markandkim said:

Hey, at least in CA. you can pull over on any city street and camp as long as you want.

OR and WA too.

Who's running those places anyway?

Interesting that we haven't heard anything about how the homeless are dealing with this.  Do they even have hand sanitizers?  Are they even aware of what's going on?  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Interesting that we haven't heard anything about how the homeless are dealing with this.  Do they even have hand sanitizers?  Are they even aware of what's going on?  

Just because a person happens to be homeless doesn't mean they are out of touch . Many are much more 'aware' than a lot of folks that are homed .

I'd think that any shelters would be prepared ...

Goes around , comes around .

I saw a report, unconfirmed, that New Mexico parks have closed their campgrounds and so have at least some of the NM COE campgrounds.

EL PASO, Texas (KSTM) — Starting Monday, all New Mexico state parks will be closed in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has directed the Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department to close all New Mexico state parks and cancel all events through April 9.

The closure could be extended if needed.

EMNRD sais there will be law enforcement presence at all parks to “ensure the protection of natural resources.”

Visitors with overnight camping reservations will be issued a full refund.

Looks like it is true. AZ is open:

Arizona State Parks and Trails is open for visitors! We are committed to providing a safe and healthy experience for our visitors and have campsites, cabins, and hiking trails open at more than 30 state parks across Arizona. We are monitoring the situation around COVID-19 and the impact of coronavirus for our state.

Utah:

The Utah Division of Parks and Recreation takes the health and safety of our visitors seriously. At this time all 44 state parks remain open and fully operational.

Nothing on the CO website. Cali is open. WA is open and that's all I'm checking. Nothing on the main COE website tho.

One other thing I saw earlier: Canada is closing their borders, period. No getty in.

Edited by agesilaus

3 hours ago, agesilaus said:

One other thing I saw earlier: Canada is closing their borders, period. No getty in.

"Permanent Canadian residents, the immediate family members of Canadian citizens, diplomats, air crews, and U.S. citizens are still being allowed into Canada at this time."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-shutting-the-border-to-most-non-citizens-due-to-covid-19-pm-trudeau-1.4854503

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I hope that they do not close them. I’m going to start hitting them up in a week or so. Death Valley, Sequoia and Yosemite just to name a few. I would think you are safer there away from a lot people and hiking in nature. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

23 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

If the national parks close I hope they lock the gates this time to avoid the vandalism and garbage that happened last time.

I agree completely. We were staying at a SKP co-op outside of Carlsbad when the government was shut down. But at other parks we visited after the Rangers were telling us about all of the destructive things people did. I almost wish they had cameras so they could have caught them and prosecuted them fully. And when they got out they would have to serve 1000’s of hours volunteering in the park that they mistreated. Maybe that would make them understand and appreciate the Park that they damaged.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

13 hours ago, rynosback said:

I hope that they do not close them. I’m going to start hitting them up in a week or so. Death Valley, Sequoia and Yosemite just to name a few. I would think you are safer there away from a lot people and hiking in nature. 

You just named one of the most crowded parks, Yosemite. Yellowstone, Zion, and Grand Canyon are also very popular. Don’t think they would be safer. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I received my weekly National Parks Traveler edition today and the story there is that the superintendents have been given the authority to close up facilities as necessary.  The story was lengthy and you can go to their website for the complete details.

Visitor facilities and services across the National Park System began closing Tuesday, hours after park superintendents were given the authority to do what they thought best to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the parks.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Northwest MS COE just told us we have to be out by Sunday noon. They are closing all the COE's in this area.

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

• 2 weeks later...

TP, Kleenex and paper towels have reappeared in our stores. Limit 1 package per visit. The hysterical panic is subsiding slowly here locally. I saw someone with bottled water in his cart too. There are still odd empty spots on the shelves tho

Edited by agesilaus