Closures and travel restrictions due to Corona Virus

8 hours ago, Zulu said:

The article you linked to and several others talk about exposing your body to UV to cure/rid your body of the virus.

Trying to heat your body or expose yourself to the sun - presumably to make it inhospitable to the virus - is completely ineffective, according to Prof Bloomfield. Once the virus is in your body, there's no way of killing it - your body just has to fight it off.  

I was talking about UV light affecting the virus's survival in the environment and the risk of contracting it from activities in the outdoors in the absence of other people not as a cure for an infected individual.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our son in KY just received an email from Recreation.gov that cancels his reservation for one of their parks scheduled May 8. It said that the park is closed until May 16.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

The article you linked to and several others talk about exposing your body to UV to cure/rid your body of the virus.

I was talking about UV light affecting the virus's survival in the environment and the risk of contracting it from activities in the outdoors in the absence of other people not as a cure for an infected individual.

You weren't clear.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

How? I don't recall a single news report saying that this flu causes a need for a year's worth of toilet paper.

I think it was fanned hard by news stations reporting items stores were out of.  If they had reported stores were running out of frozen artichokes, there would be a run on those.  People are sheeple.  We keep an average 6 months of supplies on hand as a norm (only because we are out in the sticks and winter, we can get snowed in for quite a while), not falling for the shortage craze going on.  Remember what happened when it was reported there was a .22 cal. shells shortage?  Sheeple went nuts trying to hoard what they could find.  I understand those full timing in campers can't do this but we will survive, IF we don't let this drive us crazy... which most days I'm accused of being a nutcase by those that know me personally.... LOL

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I thought this post though long, it was written by a MD, PHd, was interesting.  I have only copied part of it here, Dr. Quay gives a source study for his conclusions at the end of the article.  Click on his name and it will take you to his full Facebook page article as well as other information about the cornonavirus.

Steven Quay
March 11 at 6:37 AM    Coronavirus update, 1222 GMT, 11 Mar Two topics today:

2. I think I found the Achilles Heel of the coronavirus.

Achilles Heel: 

This virus is nasty and diabolical and once it gets into a cell, human medicine has little to offer at this time.

The entire value proposition of a vaccine is to 'train' the immune system to have proteins that stick all over the virus just before it tries to enter the cell. Vaccines work by stopping or slowing cell entry. A virus is NOT technically alive and outside the cell it is as inert as a stone. So interfering with those little knobby things in the picture below with a $1 billion US vaccine may work in 18 months or so.

My idea was simpler and quicker: are there simple 'environmental' changes that could destabilize those spikes and maybe slow/prevent entry into the cell, not with an antibody, but with something else.

Searching the US National Library of Medicine I found what might be an answer: a paper from 1990 that showed that a related (obviously not this one) coronavirus, which was stable for days in acidic solutions was inactivated within MINUTES in alkaline solution. Why is this important? because the virus will spend at least some time in your nose, mouth, and throat just waiting to get into your lungs. Acid/base reactions are the fastest chemistry in biology and an alkaline solution will quickly change the shape of the virus. if your nose and mouth are continuously alkaline it is inactivated before it ever gets into the lungs.

The microscope picture shows normal virus in acid solution (a) and clumpy, misshapen viruses in alkaline conditions (b). But its not just looks that changed but the ability to infect cells. The next graph is how long the virus could still infect cells when exposed to different pH values. The Y-axis is a log scale. The numbers 5, 6, and 7 are normal pH values and at these pH values >90% of the virus can still infect after two days. But the lines at 8 or 9 (my hand-drown red arrow) show >95% of the virus in GONE within minutes at alkaline pH values!

So how do you get your oral cavity at pH 8, alkaline? If you do that whenever you are in the world you are giving yourself a science-based effort to NOT get infected.

First, almost every toothpaste is baking soda, alkaline pH. Teeth dissolve is acid (think cola drinks) and cavities are bacteria using acid to dissolve your teeth. So brush regularly.

Second, change up that water bottle you sip on all day. Few drinks are alkaline, most juices are acidic and you can see from the chart that acid STABILIZES this virus. But two drinks are perfect: green tea (not acidic coffee, unfortunately) and mineral spring water, with bicarbonates. So fill your water bottle with green tea or mineral water and sip away, all day.

Finally, the Achilles Heel has a second target. Something called sulfhydryl (SH) bonds hold the different amino acid chains together. Lots of foods have natural SH bond breakers but the absolute best is asparagus. In fact, that special 'smell' is its sulfur-containing compounds. It is less clear this will work because it makes the INSIDE of cells rich in SH bond breakers not necessarily the outside but, what the heck, with a little Parmesan cheese, it might just add a second attack on the virus shell and in the worse case, it makes a delicious, side dish!
Reference for above study: "Conformational change of the coronavirus peplomer glycoprotein at pH 8.0 and 37 degrees C correlates with virus aggregation and virus-induced cell fusion." Sturman LS, Ricard CS, Holmes KV. J Virol. 1990 Jun;64(6):3042-50.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2159562

20 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

I think it was fanned hard by news stations reporting items stores were out of.  If they had reported stores were running out of frozen artichokes, there would be a run on those. 

Well perhaps, but what would you have them do, just not report it?  Who's going to make those decisions.. state run media?

Edited by hemsteadc

21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Isn't it possible to get the maintenance done where you are or along your route? For the medical & dental you may have little choice.

My appointment is at the factory and I’m having a structural issue with my slide.  I’d really like the factory service department to fix it - the other little stuff could be done elsewhere.

Yesterday I went to the Walmart in Mesquite - staff was stocking as fast as they could (lots of staff working) but the shelves were still bare - some cases of water and no line, but a line for TP.  I also went to Costco in Vegas - much busier but with better stock of most things.  Unfortunately, they were out of a couple of things I wanted and my sister said they were out of eggs.

I’m discovering just how difficult it is to be a full-time RVer in these circumstances, little room or weight for extra supplies.  I’m tempted to leave some extra things in my storage unit (my second spare tire for the trailer, an electric space heater, my beloved Keurig) to free up some extra weight carrying capacity for extra supplies.  But that won’t buy me much extra - I’ll still have to shop more often than I may be able to.

I’d really like to go back to my off-grid camping spot near Mesquite instead of heading to civilization with the fear of being stuck somewhere I don’t want to be for an extended period of time.

5 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Well perhaps, but what would you have them do, just not report it?  Who's going to make those decisions.. state run media?

There is/was no need to report tp was being run at, non at all except to fan the flames.  Media has the ability to pick/choose what they feed the sheeple.  You can call it state run media if that is what floats your boat, I call most of them a certain party run/controlled.  No difference.  In the past few years, they all have an agenda and so many have been caught lying all for the mighty $$.  Media needs to get back to REAL journalism and stop this baloney they ALL are now doing.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

28 minutes ago, Velos said:

So fill your water bottle with green tea or mineral water and sip away, all day.

Finally, the Achilles Heel has a second target. Something called sulfhydryl (SH) bonds hold the different amino acid chains together. Lots of foods have natural SH bond breakers but the absolute best is asparagus. In fact, that special 'smell' is its sulfur-containing compounds.

If I have to drink green tea and eat asparagus, I'll just let the thing have me.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

If I have to drink green tea and eat asparagus, I'll just let the thing have me.  🙂

Hot green tea with honey is good.  Asparagus, covered with olive oil, sprinkle a little salt on and grill.... dayum, it's just awesome!  Your missing a darn good eats!  IMHO, yea, it's not for everyone.  🙂

Good point green tea, asparagus and baking soda toothpaste are not for everyone. 
I found this list of Alkaline foods that may provide other alternatives?
Source:
  https://www.betterbones.com/alkaline-balance/alkaline-forming-foods/
Alkaline foods list

March 6, 2020/1 Comment/in Alkaline Balance /by Dr. Susan E. Brown

Fruits

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Coconuts Raisins
Grapes
Blueberries
Oranges
Apples
Cherries
Apricots
Grapefruit
Avocado
Olives, green
Banana
Pears/Peaches
Lemons
Blackberries
Nectarines
Strawberries
Persimmon
Raspberries
Tangerines
Limes
Papaya
Pineapple
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Honeydew

Vegetables

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Snow peas
Carrots, organic
Cucumbers
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower
Mushrooms
Artichokes
Eggplant
Beets
Summer squash
Baked potato
Zucchini
Bell peppers
Okra
Broccoli
Cabbage
String-beans without formed beans
Asparagus
Onions
Celery
Kohlrabi
Collard greens
Parsnips
Endive
Mustard greens
Kale
Winter squash
Sweet potatoes
Yams

Dairy

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Clarified butter (Ghee)    

Oils

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Olive oil
Flax oil
Coconut oil
Avocado oil
Cod Liver oi

Nuts / Seeds / Legumes / Herbs / Spices

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Almonds
Bay leaf
Cayenne pepper
Sesame seeds
Sunflower seeds
Black pepper
Lentils
Cashews
Basil
Garlic
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Soy sauce
Chestnuts
Sea salt
Ginger root
Pumpkin seeds
Parsley

Breads / Grains / Desserts

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Granola
(unsweetened)
Oatmeal
Quinoa
Wild rice
Baked apples
(unsweetened)

Sweeteners / Vinegar’s

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Rice syrup
Sucanat
Apple cider vinegar
Molasses
Umeboshi vinegar

Beverages

Low
Alkaline
Medium
Alkaline
High
Alkaline
Apple juice
Grape juice
Orange juice
Green Tea
Herbal tea
Grapefruit juice
Pineapple juice
Mineral water
Ginger tea

2 hours ago, Velos said:

coronavirus, which was stable for days in acidic solutions was inactivated within MINUTES in alkaline solution.

I'm sticking with the CDC and WHO, not a Facebook doctor. Whats next snake oil?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Howdy!

We are at our homebase in Texas near the Escapees in Livingston. Do to all the now government no implied restrictions, closing of restaurants, bars, malls and just heard that Amazon is suspending all its business we are staying put. I think it’s going to be difficult for fulltime RVer’s during this time to be able to find places they can stay with the closing of state and government parks. If the private owned RV parks and campgrounds start going this there will definitely be a problem for fulltimers. I just heard that Canada has closed their border only permitting Canadian citizens and residents to enter. Mexico has been said to be doing the same. We have been fulltiming for thirteen years and love to travel, but at the same time as stated we have a homebase and we will make use of it until this passes.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I just ordered some stuff from Amazon and had no problem, plus I got a 'your order shipped' notice a couple of minutes ago for delivery tomorrow. So I rate that rumor as unproven and unlikely.

Canada has closed the border to all except Canadians and Americans, so that isn't true.

Mexico was playing some security theater and making threats that most likely will not be carried out unless this get a lot worse. Which I don't expect to happen, I think it will taper off and vanish with warmer weather. Just look at the US instances: New York, Illinois and Washington have over a thousand cases each. They each have cool weather right now. Plus they are centers of international travel. The rest of the states for the most part have 100 cases or so. I think this is a stupid and needless media and political caused hysteria.

Article has map showing US incidence

OK looking at the map in that article I was wrong. The high incidence states are NY, WA and Cali especially the SF (cool weather) part of the state. And most states are well below 100 cases.

Edited by agesilaus

We just walked thru the local Walmart to see what the idiots are up to, they've cleaned out the store, all the cereal, all paper products, most of the frozen foods, all the canned fruit and so on. About the only aisles that seem to be fully stocked were Beer and Coffee/Tea. I thought the beer supply seemed odd, idiots like to get drunk don't they? There were a few bottles of water, they must have just received a shipment.

Oh yeah the fresh fruits and veg were about 80% gone. Oddly strawberries were still to be had but the recent supply of strawberries is such poor quality that even idiots don't want them.

My wife works for the schools and just got a call saying the schools were closed until April 15th. Parents will be going berserk.

Edited by agesilaus

8 hours ago, Zulu said:

Good point Zulu.
I am not a fan of Facebook but several groups I participate in use it to share information since the demise of the Yahoo Groups storage capabilities. IMHO There is a lot of trash and bias on Facebook and that makes them money; so one must be very selective with the material obtained on Facebook. Facebook's business model is to provide the service to users for free then sell the data collected from their pages: https://fourweekmba.com/how-does-facebook-make-money/

"Facebook is an attention-based business model. As such, its algorithms condense the attention of over 2.4 billion users as of June 2019. Facebook advertising revenues accounted for $31.9 billion or 98.66% of its total revenues. Facebook Inc. has a product portfolio made of Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp, and Oculus."

Trust but verify here is some background on Dr. Steven Quay:   https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenquay

Here is a definition of Coronaviruses:
"Coronaviruses are a group of related viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, coronaviruses cause respiratory tract infections that can be mild, such as some cases of the common cold (among other possible causes, predominantly rhinoviruses), and others that can be lethal, such as SARS, MERS, and COVID-19. Symptoms in other species vary: in chickens, they cause an upper respiratory tract disease, while in cows and pigs they cause diarrhea "

Dr. Quay stated in his paper "Searching the US National Library of Medicine I found what might be an answer: a paper from 1990 that showed that a related (obviously not this one)

"Medicine isn't an exact science that is why doctors are always practicing."

We would all love to have the answers in 280 characters or less but we would never get this full story if that's all we had.

6 minutes ago, Velos said:

I am not a fan of Facebook but several groups I participate in use it to share information since the demise of the Yahoo Groups storage capabilities. IMHO There is a lot of trash and bias on Facebook and that makes them money; so one must be very selective with the material obtained on Facebook.

Do you and the "several groups" all have medical degrees? Do you submit your "findings" to peer-reviewed journals?

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

6 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I don't know if the above post is about changing the pH of your body, (sorry I didn't read it all), but that's snake oil.  It's not a new scam.

"The virus is thought to spread mainly between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes." 
SOURCE: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/2019-ncov-factsheet.pdf

From Dr. Quays paper:
"Why is this important? because the virus will spend at least some time in your nose, mouth, and throat just waiting to get into your lungs. Acid/base reactions are the fastest chemistry in biology and an alkaline solution will quickly change the shape of the virus. if your nose and mouth are continuously alkaline it is inactivated before it ever gets into the lungs."

We can all read the same paper and still come to different conclusions.  Dr. Quay stated in his paper that if your nose and mouth are continuously alkaline (ie drinking green tea, brushing your teeth with tooth paste containing baking soda, possibly eating foods with high alkalinity)  its possible the virus is inactivated before it ever gets into the lungs where it does the damage. It didn't appear to me that he was referring to the whole body's PH but just your nose and mouth where the virus enters. 

I believe you are referring to this alkaline diet scam:  https://www.health.com/celebrities/alkaline-diet-creator-jail-time

On 3/16/2020 at 8:53 PM, Zulu said:

The #6 related to trying to heat yourself.  UV radiation isn't heat, it is ionizing radiation that breaks chemical bonds.     BTW - Just as washing in 60C (140F) water will kill cells,   so will drying in a hot dryer.   Lots of people do not have 140F hot water, but water heaters set at 120F.  But will soap, it will do a good job.  Notice, you don't wash your hands in 140F water.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834