Adding sleeper & rear windows to 630

trimster

Thoughts welcome on how to install sleeper side windows, in place of the vents, on a 630 mid roof. I've found used upper sleeper windows. Wonder if those could be cut into the side of a mid roof?

Also a read window. I found a source for used rear windows. Are all the VNLs the same size from 2012 to 2016?

Thanks

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

The walls of the 730/780s with windows are different than the 630. The rear may be the same. Should be easy to check as the outline of the window is visible in the back of the cab.

I installed regular RV windows in my 630. This should give you some idea:

image.jpeg.5e4a778cb4eff0dd260a6a118d24c5ab.jpeg

image.jpeg.40efcbbc0b92f72352cf3234482de310.jpeg

I built a box spacer to go in the wall to trim out the window out of wood and mdf.  The box was glued to the wall with windshield urethane, as was the window attached to the outside. The left side required relocating the control panel, but there was enough wire harness. The right side I had to shorten the vent duct.

I am picture challenged at the moment, and out of time, so you can check out my build thread for more pictures. There is also some information in the resource guide of other window installs.

My build thread can be found here.

Moresmoke’s HDT

Edited by Moresmoke

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

on the interior... did you make a new inner wall panel?  or did you cut and modify the factory upholstery? I assume the RV window came with some inner trim to finish off the transition between the upholstery and the window frame?

Thanks

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Yes, there is a ~1” wide trim ring that I attached on the outside of the upholstery with screws to my “wood box” window frame. The windows I used were made for a 1?” thick wall. The Volvo wall is closer to 3 1/2.

I made new wall panels, there were a bunch of holes left from the cabinets that were removed from the sleeper. Both the lower large panel and the upper intermediate panel. I used 1/8 mdf for the panels and found some vinyl upholstery at a local hardware store that matched reasonably well. I just used the original panel as a pattern to cut the new mdf.

In the RH cabinet there was a power supply for a tv. This I wired to a usb power port installed in the wall on that side.

21 hours ago, trimster said:

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

on the interior... did you make a new inner wall panel?  or did you cut and modify the factory upholstery? I assume the RV window came with some inner trim to finish off the transition between the upholstery and the window frame?

Thanks

Hi Robert,

I like the looks of your truck from the link you provided. It sounds like you will be removing the interior of your truck to add windows. I just want to throw this idea out to you. Have you thought about adding any sound deadening material to the side walls and floor ? I don't have any pictures of the interior of my truck but I added sound deadening material and Reflectix bubble insulation to my cab, even on the cab ceiling (the rear half only). I used 3M Super 77 adhesive on the bubble insulation to hold it onto the sound deadening material. If you think that you are going the remove the seats and seat belts be careful removing the seat belt bolts. They are only spotted welded in place. When I removed mine, It was a two man job. I was under the truck with a propane touch and the other person inside the cab with a ratchet.

Best of luck working on your truck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

There are lower windows available. I would guess its not much different than how I did my freightliner. If you choose to order windows from the link below make sure to tell them you are NOT replacing a window. You are installing a window in a truck that never had a window and you will need all the interior and all other window related parts.

https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailview.php?part=24807205

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Robert,

I like the looks of your truck from the link you provided. It sounds like you will be removing the interior of your truck to add windows. I just want to throw this idea out to you. .......

Best of luck working on your truck,
Al

My wife calls me a 'project addict'. Guilty! Tinker'r is my name. Playing with power tools is my game.

However.... if the Feds cut in-country flight travel, we won't get the truck. We have a flight from Salt Lake to Atlanta on Thurs. Even though we have spent a few hundred for inspections, flight (which we might not get a refund), hotel room,  we can't justify a car rental, 2000 miles drive down and 2000 miles drive back. Just to much road time for our sched. right now.

If they shut it down, hopefully it will be next Friday. Just sayin'. But if they do cut off flights, it will be for the greater good.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

11 hours ago, trimster said:

My wife calls me a 'project addict'. Guilty! Tinker'r is my name. Playing with power tools is my game.

However.... if the Feds cut in-country flight travel, we won't get the truck. We have a flight from Salt Lake to Atlanta on Thurs. Even though we have spent a few hundred for inspections, flight (which we might not get a refund), hotel room,  we can't justify a car rental, 2000 miles drive down and 2000 miles drive back. Just to much road time for our sched. right now.

If they shut it down, hopefully it will be next Friday. Just sayin'. But if they do cut off flights, it will be for the greater good.

I am a couple hundred miles from Atlanta.  Let me know if I can help.  Might be able to store  the truck for you and I have a CDL.

Thanks.  But I still need to kick the tires in person I think. But the option is appreciated. We'll see what plays out.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

11 hours ago, rdickinson said:

Bus or train??

Actually it's shorter driving down. On the way back we have some stops we need to make...so more road miles.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

2 hours ago, trimster said:

Actually it's shorter driving down. On the way back we have some stops we need to make...so more road miles.

Given the current circumstances, bus or train would be my last resort. More likely, no resort.

Bad history from the H1N1 time frame with train travel. Best to just not go there.

My Volvo's predecessor was an'01 IH 4700 DT 530, even after having the shift points changed on the Allison it still came up short on power.  The 730  has air brakes the 530 was hydraulic plus it only had an exhaust brake....no comparison.

Going down an 8% grade in southern Washington state, I can set the cruise on 45 mph set brake cruise for 2-3 mph over and sit back and watch the scenery without touching the service brake.  When the rig accelerates 2-3 mph over cruise, the brake cruise cuts in, grabs the truck and slows it down to 45 then lets go to do it all again. 

The 4700, I'm told is old tech, the 730 is more current and a lot quieter.

I hope yours is a good find and not a neglected POS putting you in the poor house.  I'd be asking for service records.