Switching from Satellite TV to Streaming Challenges

On 3/13/2020 at 8:08 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

That's good to see, Joel. Does it still have the one device limit?

I've never had a one-device limit. Maybe some did, but not the two Verizon ones I've used.  But, it rarely matters to me because I always use it tethered to a router.

Attached is a screenshot showing that my Jetpack currently is set to a 15 device limit.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

40 minutes ago, Zulu said:

How long?

Are you asking how long the device lasts?  I've had mine for ~2 years and it's working fine.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

6 minutes ago, docj said:

Are you asking how long the device lasts?  I've had mine for ~2 years and it's working fine.

How long have you had the Visible SIM in the 7730L?

The Visible phones have a one device limit for tethered/hotspot mode. I wondered if that stayed with the SIM when it's moved to the Jetpack.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

How long have you had the Visible SIM in the 7730L?

The Visible phones have a one device limit for tethered/hotspot mode. I wondered if that stayed with the SIM when it's moved to the Jetpack.

There's been a misunderstanding.  I never intended anyone to think I was using the Visible SIM in my 7730L.  I have a prepaid unlimited Verizon SIM in it.  My Visible SIM is in a ZTE Blade A7.  It doesn't tether reliably but it is very stable with a 2 GHz connection to my WiFiRanger router.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

9 hours ago, docj said:

There's been a misunderstanding.  I never intended anyone to think I was using the Visible SIM in my 7730L.  I have a prepaid unlimited Verizon SIM in it.  My Visible SIM is in a ZTE Blade A7.  It doesn't tether reliably but it is very stable with a 2 GHz connection to my WiFiRanger router.

Ahh! Yep, sorry for the confusion. Tom and I were talking about using the Visible SIM in an 8800L and 6620L instead of the R2 phone. Now I need to figure out why putting the Visible SIM in my 6620L caused it to not get any signal when it was seeing a couple of bars with an inactive SIM.

Dutch

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Ahh! Yep, sorry for the confusion. Tom and I were talking about using the Visible SIM in an 8800L and 6620L instead of the R2 phone. Now I need to figure out why putting the Visible SIM in my 6620L caused it to not get any signal when it was seeing a couple of bars with an inactive SIM.

Remember to change the APN to VSBLINTERNET.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 hours ago, Zulu said:

Sheesh! I never gave the APN a thought! Thanks, I'll give that a try later tonight after my wife's movie ends.

Dutch

6 hours ago, Zulu said:

Ok! Thanks again for the kick in the APN pants, Tom! My 6620L is working great now with the Visible SIM installed. The speeds seem to be slightly better than the R2, but I'm not in a good Verizon signal area right now either. Monday we'll be moving to a much better Verizon area, so I expect it will do much better there. Oh, and I found that the one device limit does not follow the SIM, so that's another benefit of the move.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

My 6620L is working great now with the Visible SIM installed.

It will be interesting to see if Visible/Verizon lets you do this for an extended period of time.  I'm not aware of anyone who has explored this in detail.  Since Visible is rather prescriptive as to what phone can be used, it's pretty clear that using a Jetpack is a violation of the TOS.  I'm using a ZTE Blade A7 which they gave me in trade for an unused Pxiel 2XL I had around the house.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

8 hours ago, docj said:

It will be interesting to see if Visible/Verizon lets you do this for an extended period of time.  I'm not aware of anyone who has explored this in detail.  Since Visible is rather prescriptive as to what phone can be used, it's pretty clear that using a Jetpack is a violation of the TOS.  I'm using a ZTE Blade A7 which they gave me in trade for an unused Pxiel 2XL I had around the house.

I'm wondering the same thing, Joel. Will they jump on it and shut us down eventually? Tom has been using his hotspot for a month, and others I've read about are apparently still ok after several months, but some others have apparently been shut down. I would hope we get a warning first and the opportunity to move back to the correct device, but if not, it's easy enough to sign up for another account. Since we're only using one third of the services they provide though, they may not care. AT&T hasn't complained about my Mobley SIM being in a different hotspot for more than two years now. We'll see...

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch