Switching from Satellite TV to Streaming Challenges

There have been several discussions regarding satellite TV being replaced by streaming. In evaluating the feasibility, I have encountered several challenges. I have a Verizon plan with four devices (a 8800L mifi, Samsung Tab A and two Samsung J7 phones). I have a WifiRanger Spruce that I like to use to connect all the devices (laptops, Roku, Smart TV) to. I recently found out that these devices are not on WifiRanger's testing list and therefore my expectations that the combinations will work properly is unfounded. I am currently having issues connecting the cellular devices, particularly the 8800L, to the Spruce either wirelessly or by tether. Discussions with WifiRanger technical support did not resolve the issues. I have 10 months left on the 2 year contract. Hotspot and tethering is limited to 15G before throttling to a speed that is useless for streaming. Even with modest use, each device only lasts about 5-7 days, The phones and tablet work well streaming on the device provided that the Verizon connection is fast enough, which in the places we seem to go, it often is not. The last two locations where we have been in Florida were particularly strange. Speed varied from no connection to as high as 40mbs with no real pattern that I can determine. Where we are currently located, the tower is about half a mile away. Signal strength is between -61 and -90 and the speed still varies widely. While I can usually stream on the device, getting a picture to the TV presents additional challenges. The phone and Tablet do not support a wired connection to a TV. They do have a feature called Smart View that transmits to a Smart TV or Roku by wifi. In my experience using the Smart View feature requires a substantially faster connection than just streaming on the device. It also runs the battery down in just a couple of hours. Plugging the device in results in it overheating and shutting down in about 1 hour.

I do have an AT&T car connect in the truck that has no throttling. However, the key must be in the accessory position for it to stay on for more than ten minutes. There must be other draws on the battery when the key is on because the battery does not last long. The smart charger says it is putting in a constant 6.5 amps. Getting a usable Wifi  signal inside the trailer is another challenge. I have to be able to position the cab of the truck close enough to the router's location.

In searching the internet, I found box top devices that can accept a sim card. They seem to be primarily marketed in other countries. A previous topic asking for experiences with these devices and whether the data would be considered on device data got no responses.

So for now, streaming is not a viable alternative for us. 

Which Car Connect device do you have? The Mobley for instance, can easily be adapted to interior RV use or even a SIM transplant to a different hotspot.

We use a FireTVstick connected to an HDMI port on our TV as our primary streaming device.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Ahh, ok, that can't be moved then. Sorry...

Our Verizon service that also works well in Verizon territory, is from Verizon's prepaid "Visible" division. Their only plan has unlimited talk, text, and data, including tethering or hotspot, for $40/mo all in, or as little as $25/mo with their "Party Pay" feature. As with most prepaid services, the data can be slower on congested towers for short periods, but we haven't had any problem with that.

Dutch

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Ahh, ok, that can't be moved then. Sorry...

Our Verizon service that also works well in Verizon territory, is from Verizon's prepaid "Visible" division. Their only plan has unlimited talk, text, and data, including tethering or hotspot, for $40/mo all in, or as little as $25/mo with their "Party Pay" feature. As with most prepaid services, the data can be slower on congested towers for short periods, but we haven't had any problem with that.

From sources online other than the Visible website, there were statements that the Visible caps the hotspot speed at 5mbs. In my experience, if the hotspot speed is 5mbs at the device, the speed to a wirelessly connected device will be marginal or useless for streaming. How do you connect the firestick to the Visible phone/hotspot?

Visible is currently not capping speeds for new and existing subscribers for as long as they remain subscribers. Our Firestick connects by WiFi to our Pepwave router that uses the Visible phone as it's tethered Internet source.

Dutch

7 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Which Visible phone do you have?

I have their ZTE made R2 phone that sells for $19 or free with a trade in that will power on.

Dutch

On 3/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, trailertraveler said:

I am currently having issues connecting the cellular devices, particularly the 8800L, to the Spruce either wirelessly or by tether. Discussions with WifiRanger technical support did not resolve the issues. 

I have a Spruce and currently have multiple devices connected to it both by wifi and tether.  I'm not sure what kind of issues you are having.  WiFiRanger does test lots of devices with its routers, but there's no attempt to make that list exhaustive.  Very few devices have issues connecting, especially via WiFi.

FWIW my Spruce currently has a Jetpack 7730L connected via USB, a ZTE MF279 connected via Ethernet, and a ZTE Blade connected via WiFi.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

7 hours ago, docj said:

I have a Spruce and currently have multiple devices connected to it both by wifi and tether.  I'm not sure what kind of issues you are having.  WiFiRanger does test lots of devices with its routers, but there's no attempt to make that list exhaustive.  Very few devices have issues connecting, especially via WiFi.

FWIW my Spruce currently has a Jetpack 7730L connected via USB, a ZTE MF279 connected via Ethernet, and a ZTE Blade connected via WiFi.

Joel (AKA docj)

I am glad that your Spruce is working well for you. That fact does not change or solve my issues and the fact that the Verizon 8800L, which I thought was a fairly common device, is not on their testing list. The problem is that the 8800L and at times the phone and tablet will connect then disconnect then connect/disconnect in an endless loop. This occurs when both tethering and connecting by wifi. I prefer to tether to reduce speed loss as we rarely are in areas that have the speed that you have previously stated that you experience in the places that you stay. I don't think that the problem is with the devices other than the Spruce because they work perfectly with my Go and Go2.

11 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Thanks! The website says that one is out of stock. It will be a few days until we are somewhere long enough to get something shipped so I will keep checking to see if they get any more.

I should note that we use the R2 only as a data source, not as one of our regular daily use phones. I disabled all but a few necessary apps and got a new number for it. The volume is shut off and voice mail has not been set up. I periodically I clear any call logs...

Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I should note that we use the R2 only as a data source, not as one of our regular daily use phones. I disabled all but a few necessary apps and got a new number for it. The volume is shut off and voice mail has not been set up. I periodically I clear any call logs...

Thanks! I would likely do similar as I still have several months on the Verizon contract.

6 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I am glad that your Spruce is working well for you. That fact does not change or solve my issues and the fact that the Verizon 8800L, which I thought was a fairly common device, is not on their testing list. The problem is that the 8800L and at times the phone and tablet will connect then disconnect then connect/disconnect in an endless loop. This occurs when both tethering and connecting by wifi. I prefer to tether to reduce speed loss as we rarely are in areas that have the speed that you have previously stated that you experience in the places that you stay. I don't think that the problem is with the devices other than the Spruce because they work perfectly with my Go and Go2.

Did you open a formal case with WiFiRanger support?  If so, what is the case #?  I can make sure that someone senior looks into your issue.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

24 minutes ago, docj said:

Did you open a formal case with WiFiRanger support?  If so, what is the case #?  I can make sure that someone senior looks into your issue.

I filled out the website request form after speaking initially with Christian. After getting the Spruce online using ethernet through the Go2 so that he could download the logs, I called back and the call was answered by Steve. After trying several things that did not work, he told me that the 8800L was not a tested device and basically not guaranteed to work, I suspect that he closed the service ticket which I never got a case # for. He said he would let folks know about the issue with the 8800L. I have not heard anything more.

Edited by trailertraveler

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I put my Visible's R2 SIM in a 8800L. Works much better.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 hours ago, Zulu said:

I put my Visible's R2 SIM in a 8800L. Works much better.

How long have you had it in there, Tom. I've read about a few folks that lost their account for SIM swapping, but it wasn't clear if they moved it to a different phone or hotspot.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

How long have you had it in there, Tom. I've read about a few folks that lost their account for SIM swapping, but it wasn't clear if they moved it to a different phone or hotspot.

1 month

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Ahh, sounds good then. I'll give it a try in a 6620L. Thanks! 

Works in that one too . . . the 6620L was my 1st try. It worked fine, but on the advice of MIRC I bought the 8800L on eBay for $65.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

21 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I filled out the website request form after speaking initially with Christian. After getting the Spruce online using ethernet through the Go2 so that he could download the logs, I called back and the call was answered by Steve. After trying several things that did not work, he told me that the 8800L was not a tested device and basically not guaranteed to work, I suspect that he closed the service ticket which I never got a case # for. He said he would let folks know about the issue with the 8800L. I have not heard anything more.

I've spoken with WiFiRanger Customer Service.  If you would post or PM me your Spruce's ID number and then try to get it back online with the 8800, I can have some of our staff examine it remotely.

Joel

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

5 hours ago, docj said:

I've spoken with WiFiRanger Customer Service.  If you would post or PM me your Spruce's ID number and then try to get it back online with the 8800, I can have some of our staff examine it remotely.

Joel

I heard back from Kristian today, Unfortunately my 8800L has maxxed out its hotspot data. I will have to wait until the next cycle so he can access the logs. He said that he is aware of some connectivity issues with the Spruce and the 8800L. Thanks for your efforts to help!!

18 hours ago, Zulu said:

Works in that one too . . . the 6620L was my 1st try. It worked fine, but on the advice of MIRC I bought the 8800L on eBay for $65.

Yep, I'll use the 6620L for testing since I already have one, but the 8800L is where I'd go if I decide to stay with it.

Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yep, I'll use the 6620L for testing since I already have one, but the 8800L is where I'd go if I decide to stay with it.

My 7730L works just fine.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador