Water heated quit working

We recently purchased a Jayco Desinger 2000. We know very little about RVs we have learned trial by fire and there’s a lot to learn. Once we started living in the RV we find new problems everyday so we really need to do as much DIY as possible. Our new and biggest problem is our HOT WATER at first it worked great then all of a sudden no hot water. It works off the same breaker as our washer dryer which is working fine. Close to the same time it quit working I also ran out of propane so I thought the propane just got to low once I filled the propane back up I waited until the next day flipped the switch to hot water and hot water light was on my wife started doing dishes and she used all the hot water and it’s not worked since. We have so many other things to fix we really can’t buy a new one right now. Any help of suggestions would be great 

Welcome to the forum!

The make and model number of the water heater would be helpful for remote troubleshooting. There should be a label inside the heater's cover outside, or it may also be on a build sheet attached inside one of the interior cabinets, often on the door.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

When you run out of LP the lines are essentially drained of propane. To correct this, turn a stovetop burner and allow it to burn for a minute, then turn off. Again try to light your LP burner in the water heater, it may take a few attempts before gas reaches that burner and the monitor light stays off, on means it is trying to light and is a warning the gas valve is open.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Welcome to the Escapee forums. We are here to help and will do our best.

8 hours ago, Kirk A said:

The make water heater is an Atwood 10 gallon 93756 I did find the circuit board is A dinosaur MPD 92819. 

That Dinosaur circuit board means that it has been replaced as the original would have been from Atwood. If you visit the website of Bryant RV Service you can download a copy of the Atwood water heater service manual that may help. If you visit the Dinosaur Electronics site you can identify which circuit board you have and download a copy of the instructions that come with it.

8 hours ago, Kirk A said:

It will not work on LP or electric. The one time it did work again for one tank it was not hooked up to the LP yet. 

The water heater control circuit is operated by 12V-DC electricity from the battery/converter in your RV and only the electric heater uses 120V-AC which comes from the circuit breaker. All of the Dinosaur circuit boards for water heaters that I am familiar with have had an LED to indicate if there is 12V power so check that first. Without 12V the water heater will not work. Some of then also have a fuse that if open will not allow operation. It is possible that your water heater is one of the propane only models that has been modified to add a 120V heating element but if it is it will probably also have a separate switch that didn't come from Atwood to turn it on and off. 

If you can, verify that there is 12V-DC power to the circuit board and also that 120V is available. To be sure that all air is out of your propane lines, light the cook stove and allow it to burn for several minutes. If you can get a little more information there is probably one of us who can come up with some ideas of what may be your problem.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Check the  thermal fuse for continuity. This is covered in the installation/service manual.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 5 weeks later...