Death of Directv

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want an "Outdoors" account, then your only option is buying your own equipment and paying month to month with no discounts or price lock. The other option is to accept a 2-year contract with loaned equipment and whatever discounts and price locks are currently offered. If you intend for Dish to be your fulltime satellite service, then a contract is the better option. If you're a part timer that only wants Dish when traveling, then the Outdoor "Flex" plan is the better option since it can be stopped and started as needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

When I called up I was told the only option they have for RV is the Flex and no  long term plan.

They told me I couldn't get a residential since I was in an RV even though we have a permanent spot.  Also told me the residential could not have its service address changed nightly. Bassed on what I have read here this totally confused me.

Do I just tell them I am residential and when I call will they change my service address each night.

We are full time.

I am also very concerned about the hassle of new station numbers each night for recording of programs.

The other confusion was on their site they showed all basic channels coming out from Denver which I had interpreted as a quasi-DNS, just Denver. But was told what that wasn't true. More confusion.

Call a local Dish retail dealer. Your current park may know which dealers come to the park to service their guests. They're much more flexible than dealing directly with Dish. Dish does not offer DNS anymore, although there are a few markets that are available nationwide as long as you list a service address in their territory. Five cities are on the western arc satellites. The rest are on the eastern arc 77 satellite except for Ft Wayne, IN that's on the 61.5 sat. If you're on contract, you'll need to either call Dish or use their chat service to change your locals as you move around. Outdoors subscribers can use a smartphone app to change them if they meet the equipment requirements.

Dutch

Thanks Dutch, I will call a local retailer. I had thought about doing that. 

Can you clarify the recording of programming on the locals each night. Now, with DNS the channel number is the same each night so there is no interrupt off recording programs. Do I need to update the channel numbers each day as we move to get record the programs? Or does the recorder search automatically for the correct program as the channel numbers change. Dish refused to understand this was a concern.

We don't want to make a move and then find out it was a bad move. I found that Dish was not very helpful in this regard. We need to dot the i's.

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

200, does it make a difference, a little more $ a little less $

Yes.  You mentioned "Flex".  Flex is a package with minimal channels.  You can add and subtract other channel groups to it as you like, thus the "Flex" name.

If you want the Top 200, you can definitely get it on a two year contract.  That's what I've got and I pay $67.62 with taxes and all.  I have an outdoors account and own my own equipment.  It would cost more than that for you to start it now, since I'm in the last eight months of my contract.

49 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If you want an "Outdoors" account, then your only option is buying your own equipment and paying month to month with no discounts or price lock

I'm sorry, but this is just not accurate.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

8 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Yes.  You mentioned "Flex".  Flex is a package with minimal channels.  You can add and subtract other channel groups to it as you like, thus the "Flex" name.

If you want the Top 200, you can definitely get it on a two year contract.  That's what I've got and I pay $67.62 with taxes and all.  I have an outdoors account and own my own equipment.  It would cost more than that for you to start it now, since I'm in the last eight months of my contract.

I'm sorry, but this is just not accurate.

Dish offers a "Flex" month to month payment plan that's unrelated to the "Flex" program package. The "Outdoors" accounts come under the "Flex" plan.

I have not seen nor heard of anyone on contract with leased equipment getting an "Outdoors" account. Do you have a link for that option?

Dutch

18 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Thanks Dutch, I will call a local retailer. I had thought about doing that. 

Can you clarify the recording of programming on the locals each night. Now, with DNS the channel number is the same each night so there is no interrupt off recording programs. Do I need to update the channel numbers each day as we move to get record the programs? Or does the recorder search automatically for the correct program as the channel numbers change. Dish refused to understand this was a concern.

We don't want to make a move and then find out it was a bad move. I found that Dish was not very helpful in this regard. We need to dot the i's.

I use the "Search" function on our Hopper to set the local recordings so the DVR will seek the programs by name rather than by channel. A downside to that can occur when the timers are set for "New and Reruns" and the program is syndicated on other national channels such as TBS, etc. In that situation, you may end up with more recordings than intended. Deleting the excess copies is simple enough though.

Dutch

10 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I have not seen nor heard of anyone on contract with leased equipment getting an "Outdoors" account. Do you have a link for that option?

No, I don't have a link.  For years, I had a leased VIP211K until I bought my own Wally about two years ago.  In both cases, I've stayed on contract in order to get better pricing.  I've had an outdoors account for as long as I can remember.  I guess they labeled it that because I was changing my locals so often.  I never asked for that designation.

Also, I am unable to change locals using the app.  Some outdoors accounts can, some can't.  If you ask DISH why some accounts can and others aren't able to, you get a variety of answers.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Ok Thanks Dutch. I think we have that option on Direct but with DNS that became a mute point many years (decade+) ago. That answers one question and delete is easy to do. This was a big hurdle for us to get over. Monday I will call the CG installer and talk to him.

Chirakawa-I was told by Dish I needed the Outdoor plan and it only came in month by month, I asked for a contract and was told not available. Maybe you are Grandfathered. I guess I could call Dish and get a different person with different answers.

I also found out they will not buy out my Directv contract. I need to find out yet when that expires.

9 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Chirakawa-I was told by Dish I needed the Outdoor plan and it only came in month by month, I asked for a contract and was told not available. Maybe you are Grandfathered. I guess I could call Dish and get a different person with different answers.

I think the CSR roulette applies to TV providers, internet providers, and cellular providers.  I would definitely contact a local installer and see what they can do for you.

I may be grandfathered on the Outdoors account.  When they first started allowing people to change their service address (locals), I was unable to.  So, I contacted a DIRT member directly.  He looked into it and said that since i was an Outdoors account, I should be able to.  After looking into further, he couldn't find a reason why I couldn't.  He handed my case off to the executive office, and they couldn't figure it out either.

I've since seen, on this forum and the Satguys forum, numerous people who have Outdoors accounts and some can change locals and some can't.  No rhyme or reason or consistency.

We been with Dish for years. Although now we are streaming with roku. Been streaming for about a year now. We have started and stopped several times though out this time. We get wath ever package we want. We own all our equipment. All they needed from us was the recevier number and a payment.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

First thing today I called Directv and found out we were on month to month. Yipee!!

To wrap up this thread. We went to our local satellite supplier and it was very easy. Told her what we wanted, 240 Channels subscription, Hopper 3 and dish on the roof of our RV site. No problems, everything installed free,  paid our first month and were done. Installed tomorrow.

Discussed Traveller. She told us to order the kit from Winegard, less than if they supplied. One of their techs is certified to switch everything around, takes about 2 hours. Have to buy a 42 switch but that is it. Have no idea what that is, think it is to switch between Traveller and sat on roof. Not sure.

Thank you all for being so patient with us in trying to figure this out.

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

Have to buy a 42 switch but that is it. Have no idea what that is, think it is to switch between Traveller and sat on roof. Not sure.

Get DPH42 switch Amazon Prime or DISH Depot.

Here's where the DPH42 goes: Winegard Travler and Hopper 3. You can mount the DPH42 on your RV roof -- then you only have to run 1 coax from your Travler into your RV. However, I suggest making sort kind of sun shade over the DPH42 so it doesn't cook.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs