looking for a new travel trailer/truck combo

drrjpow

I have a Class A gas 31 ft motorhome  and plan to sell it with the idea of downsizing to a small lightweight trailer.  I haven't purchased the trailer or tow vehicle yet.  I'm looking at a trailer with GVWR of 5795 lbs and hitchweight of 428 lbs.  I'd like to pull it with a 1/2 ton pickup with 1750 lb payload and 9550 max trailer wt rating.  I see a lot of discussion on the forum about getting larger trucks and you can never get a truck too big.  I'm hoping to stay with the 1/2 ton truck to get better mileage as I'll use it full time when not pulling the trailer.  But I don't want to be unsafe or lagging when driving over the mountains.  Am I being realistic?

It sounds like your trailer is within the half ton truck range.  Only thing I noticed was the tongue weight - I suspect that’s dry tongue weight and you would most likely be running around 650-700 when loaded for a camping trip.  That’s still quite do-able with a half ton, especially if you don’t have too much stuff.  I don’t know about other pickups and engine combinations, but I have an F150 with the max tow package and 3.5 Ecoboost engine.  It has no problem with power going up and down mountains towing a 5500 lb trailer.

The only issue I have now is that I have too much stuff.  I did quite well and was under all of my weight ratings while I was a part-time RVer.  I’m now full-time and am having a much harder time keeping both truck and trailer at their respective GVWR.  I really should get rid of some of my stuff (hard to do) or get a 3/4 ton (that’s looking more likely at the moment).  

Don’t take too much extra stuff and you’ll probably be fine.

Edited by fpmtngal

On 3/6/2020 at 4:36 PM, drrjpow said:

I have a Class A gas 31 ft motorhome  and plan to sell it with the idea of downsizing to a small lightweight trailer.

We left the fulltime lifestyle several years ago after living in a 36' class A and did pretty much what you have in mind. We moved to a 20' travel trailer that weighs in at 4000# GVWR and stated out towing with an SUV rated for towing 5000#. While it did the job safely we soon learned that it was somewhat tiring to drive and the fuel consumption was poor. We now tow with a crew-cab truck that is rated 3/4 ton and it is much better. I think that you would be much happier if you went up a step in tow truck. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI