2nd New Coach Purchase Perks?

aztex

30 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

IMO, 5 or 6 coaches in 10 yrs is a bit different than 2 coaches in 2 years.  And, you admit the salesman and sales manager from your first deal are both gone.  So the people you're dealing with now don't know you from your first deal.

If this is a mom and pop dealer, maybe they would remember you if you come back in a few years.  If this is a dealer in a chain, like CW, I doubt they would remember you, or even care.

Sure...And I'm not demanding anything. It's hard to ask such questions without sounding entitled.

Ya gotta buy 1 or 2 before you can buy 5 or 6!

Same owners and I'm in the system. Sat down with sales mgr and he entered my phone number and my full record was at hand.

BTW the price I'm offered is the same you can get. They have come off that sticker number less than $1000. It's not like I came in and was offered 30% off. It was already over 28% off.....and based on negotiations the small discount I have been offered came late in the game so I surmise nothing to do with being a repeat.

I suppose I don't understand the RV business. Unlike other items I assume they must figure there's a limited number of sales they will make so buying more than 5 or 6 more rare

One other thought.  In a previous thread you'd mentioned that you were looking at Airstreams.  If that is the case here  (you are purchasing an Airstream) the dealer probably knows that you want an Airstream, and aren't likely to walk off and look at other brands..  

The dealer that we ordered our HitchHiker Fifth Wheel from was also the local Airstream dealer. The salesman told me that they handled folks who were shopping Airstreams differently than "regular" RV buyers. They were dealing with "lifestyle" buyers who wanted that brand, and only that brand. They had a separate showroom, lounge, etc. They played to the presumed superiority and uniqueness of Airstream, and didn't have to deal as hard because there were no similar options. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On 3/2/2020 at 8:09 PM, Kirk W said:

My comment was intended as a caution that most RV sales people are very good at manipulating the numbers to mislead us customers to think that we are getting a better price than is actually true. If you are careful and sure that the price is that good, then in my opinion you have done very well and are getting a much better price than most buyers get. That being the case, your dealer may not have enough margin left for him to justify adding in his cost to supply you the hitch that you want. I base my strong distrust of commissioned sales people on many years of buying cars & RVs as well as having worked with some in a different business, but who were commissioned sales people. You may well be one of those few who get the very best price a dealer can give. It isn't you that I don't have faith in. I didn't intend this to be a "stinky" response but one of caution. Sometimes the dealer refuses to do more because you have driven such a good price that he can't afford to do any more. That would seem to be the case here. 

My Apologies Kirk....

I was on the defensive due to other issues.

I'm happy with the price. IF everything is as-is I'll proceed. This dealer has weird tactics though.

I was out of contact for almost a week and had not heard back. Figured we were done. Called and requested deposit returned. Sales manager wanted one more shot and came back with current offer which surprised me! I was suffering allergies and under heavy Zyrtec fog and said sounds good but I need a few days to clear up. I said that's what I was after though and we're on a razors edge of moving forward.

Next thing I know I'm getting "congratulations on your new RV!" emails, date for PDI all set up! I go to have another look at it the other day and they have it pulled from stock with my name and "sold" on it....

Oh well...I'm still in the maybe phase no matter what they think. I've been up front and ready to deal but have not aid anything more than "very close".

Every good salesman knows the deal's not done until the check clears, so they keep on selling using whatever tactics they think will work. In your case, the salesman may have been confident enough to pull the unit and lock it down, especially if another salesman also had a potential fish on the line for it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

10 hours ago, aztex said:

Oh well...I'm still in the maybe phase no matter what they think. I've been up front and ready to deal but have not aid anything more than "very close".

Any thoughtful & frugal person is going to hesitate before closing on a major purchase. You were wise to leave the premises and discuss this away from the RV. Far too often we allow emotions to overrule good judgment. It is always good to move slowly and not allow the sales people to rush you into a purchase. It sounds to me like you have pushed them hard, which is good. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In my situation I have ran an online business for 10 years, get the same, I am spending 500 or 1000 dollars I expect XX.

On a 500 dollar sale I might get 8-12 dollars from, I don't see the max you spent, I see you are a 8-12 dollar order for me.

You are here because I have the lowest price, there ain't no more Mr Customer that is why there is not a lower deal. Mr Customer you can want but you will need to go somewhere else, it literally is not worth me taking a phone call or answering a string of emails from you. 

Happened the other day, guy received a damaged item, 900 dollars exhaust was scratched, customer wanted 150 dollars and he would keep it, I sent a label to bring it back. Told him I made 25 dollars on the order, I have lost money bringing these back with shipping, no problem bringing them back but could not do the 150 the customer wanted.

Another customer wanted a set of exhaust and told me he found a set 95 dollars less, I told the customer to jump on those the dealer is losing money and you might not actually get the set as your order would be canceled. After a day or two he came back and bought mine.

When you are a seller it is easy to see a customer trying to put the shaft to you and you want the seller to be happy to spend time with you and sell you a product. 

Perspective from the other side.

Terry

1 hour ago, TLRam1 said:

In my situation I have ran an online business for 10 years, get the same, I am spending 500 or 1000 dollars I expect XX.

On a 500 dollar sale I might get 8-12 dollars from, I don't see the max you spent, I see you are a 8-12 dollar order for me.

You are here because I have the lowest price, there ain't no more Mr Customer that is why there is not a lower deal. Mr Customer you can want but you will need to go somewhere else, it literally is not worth me taking a phone call or answering a string of emails from you. 

Happened the other day, guy received a damaged item, 900 dollars exhaust was scratched, customer wanted 150 dollars and he would keep it, I sent a label to bring it back. Told him I made 25 dollars on the order, I have lost money bringing these back with shipping, no problem bringing them back but could not do the 150 the customer wanted.

Another customer wanted a set of exhaust and told me he found a set 95 dollars less, I told the customer to jump on those the dealer is losing money and you might not actually get the set as your order would be canceled. After a day or two he came back and bought mine.

When you are a seller it is easy to see a customer trying to put the shaft to you and you want the seller to be happy to spend time with you and sell you a product. 

Perspective from the other side.

That's one way to run a business, cut prices to the bone and live on volume! :D

What do you do with a $900 scratched exhaust? It's not worth $900 any more.... you'll be losing on this one. But of course you can't look at each sale as a make or break. It's about the inventory. if you sold 1000 of those pipes you simply spread the profit/loss among that batch.

That's how I do it.

If I spend $1000 on 50 gems and intend to make $100 of each; sell them for $120 and make 50 rings BUT then break one of the gems. I don't lose $120 I lose ~.40¢ per unit as now I only have 49 to sell. In fact I haven't lost anything because some of those gems are better than others. I can sell those for more and even lower prices on the lesser and even lower on much lesser. Once I'm down to just a few I blow them out on sales. SO I have to figure this all into the price of each one. I can't sit there at the end of the year crying in my beer that I'm gonna lose $10 on the last one...... Plus it goes into taxes as loss so is off set a little bit. If I never sell it I over estimated...that's my problem. 

A successful business, as you sound like, does not sell at a greater loss than they can afford Period. There's nothing I can do to force them to sell to me at a loss......until we reach a point, which we almost have, the push and pull can continue and THE LAST thing I'm concerned about is how much the dealer made off of me.... I just negotiate in good faith and good humor.