2nd New Coach Purchase Perks?

aztex

HI,

I'm negotiating on a good deal on a trailer from same company I bought one from 1.5 years ago bringing my total spent there to $120,000. First purchase had it's share of confusion as well due to their mistakes (sales manager and salesman were looking at wrong MSRP; both since fired). Last time I got a hitch and brake controller. This time a pat on the back and almost rude refusal to consider a $700 hitch...

I'm on the verge and they despite my saying 90% sure but not yet have pulled the coach and are prepping for delivery this coming Saturday! I can't tell f that's efficiency or heavy handed sales tactics...

I'm looking for a win win situation. I think there's room for both of us to be very happy and making this a $120,000 worth of business seems like it should warrant a little bit more.

BTW I just got an email from an old client wanting 20% off coupon for my work. She's spent about $10,000 with me the past 3 years. I did not hesitate to comply because 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing....AND if she gets in the buying mood this will keep going... In other words, 2 coaches in 1.5 years isn't it a good bet treat him right and we may get 3 or 4 over the course of time? I'm in one of those moods now I'd walk if they don't offer at least some small token of appreciation...especially since I knew exactly what I wanted and went straight for it not wasting their time and effort window shopping.... 

Sorry to sound like I'm entitled and maybe I'm abusing this but just seems to me that's a good chunk of change and if they want more of my business they'd be a bit more forth coming. Heck at least hold back that last $1000 and THEN spring the hitch!

Thanks!

You are in control.  They don't want to include the hitch and brake controller as part of the package, I'll bet there is another dealer who will.   Why are you even wasting time with them.   Those should be included from the get go on any trailer.   I take it you don't have the same tow vehicle to use with this trailer so you need a new hitch?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I've learned that walking in knowing exactly what I want is not a good negotiating tactic. Especially the time we asked a dealer if he thought he'd have the unit for three days since it would take us that long to get there to see it. At that point, they knew something would have to be very wrong for us not to buy it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I've found that getting up and walking out is extremely liberating.  Once you realize that there will never, ever, be something that is perfect in every way, it is easier to determine what you are willing to pay and when you expect in return, and if not forthcoming, go looking somewhere else.   And who knows, maybe what I want and the price I want to pay isn't going to happen, I'll adjust my wants/needs list and look at something else.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

55 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

I've found that getting up and walking out is extremely liberating.  Once you realize that there will never, ever, be something that is perfect in every way, it is easier to determine what you are willing to pay and [what] you expect in return, and if not forthcoming, go looking somewhere else. 

We did that walkout bit for the best deal we ever got on a car. We got all the way across the show floor to the door but not out the door before they said they'd take our offer.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I've found that getting up and walking out is extremely liberating.  Once you realize that there will never, ever, be something that is perfect in every way, it is easier to determine what you are willing to pay and when you expect in return, and if not forthcoming, go looking somewhere else.   And who knows, maybe what I want and the price I want to pay isn't going to happen, I'll adjust my wants/needs list and look at something else.  

I absolutely agree! If you allow them to push you around you can be sure that the deal you get will be a great one for them, with a very high profit margin and a minimal allowance for your trade-in. My advice is to leave there and shop somewhere else. You are being taken advantage of, only if you allow it. Leave and if they want your business, they will call you. Contact the RV manufacturer to see where there are other dealers who sell the same one that you want and start calling them. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

True..

BUT this is a screaming deal! 30% off MSRP 4.25% apr...

I have shopped elsewhere and best they can do is $6000 more and 5..75% (by all indications).....

But still...not even a slinky...

I'd feel better if I walking towards a better deal not just simply away....

Edited by aztex

54 minutes ago, aztex said:

True..

I have shopped elsewhere and best they can do is $6000 more and 5..75% (by all indications).....

You KNOW you're getting a "screaming deal", but you're not happy?  You want MORE?  

Maybe you should tell the dealer your feelings and see what they have to say.

3 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

You KNOW you're getting a "screaming deal", but you're not happy?  You want MORE?  

Maybe you should tell the dealer your feelings and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

I think I'm most curious as to folks here's experience buying multiple times from same dealer and what sort of perks they get added. The RV'ers I know personally are on #5 or #6 coach 10 years in..... We're repeat buyers!

If you really have that great a deal then why quibble with them? But be very careful as sales people are very good at manipulating the numbers to mislead. Remember that even an RV dealer has to make enough to pay his bills and make a living. 

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

If you really have that great a deal then why quibble with them? But be very careful as sales people are very good at manipulating the numbers to mislead. Remember that even an RV dealer has to make enough to pay his bills and make a living. 

Not trying to quibble but see how others are treated when buying multiple times through the same dealer and if they even care.

As you say they are professionals at manipulating numbers and we need to keep our wits about us. There should be some sort of expectation as a returning customer I would think... but I've been wrong before...

36 minutes ago, aztex said:

There should be some sort of expectation as a returning customer I would think... but I've been wrong before...

The important thing is that they have to make sell for some amount above the cost to the dealer, the expenses of making it ready, the sales commission, and a share of the dealership operating costs. If they "give" you a hitch, the cost of that also must come from the amount that you pay above those expenses. If you really do have the very bottom price that can be given, there is no additional money to supply an expensive hitch unless they raise the price that you pay. Now I personally doubt that your price is actually that good, but if it is then there may not be enough margin left to pay for that hitch. Remember that the dealer has to pay for everything that he sells or gives to his customers. Perhaps that outstanding price you are getting is the extra given to a returning customer?

Edited by Kirk W

I'm still trying to understand what OP doesn't already have a hitch on his tow vehicle from the previous trailer?  New tow vehicle, then maybe the hitch should have been negotiated with the purchase of the tow vehicle.  The brake controller for the trailer should have been part of the deal from the get go.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

23 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Now I personally doubt that your price is actually that good,

What makes you thin 30% off MSRP is not that good of a deal?

All indications are 20-25% good deals so 30% as good as one is likely to see at any point of the year....

8 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

I'm still trying to understand what OP doesn't already have a hitch on his tow vehicle from the previous trailer?  New tow vehicle, then maybe the hitch should have been negotiated with the purchase of the tow vehicle.  The brake controller for the trailer should have been part of the deal from the get go.

Previous coach was sold with hitch as they are weight specific. Previous one was rated at 600lb tongue weight and I knew I'd get a bigger one which I am that weighs in at almost 900lbs tongue weight... I don't see upgrade options with the brand I had...

I'm trying to get it as part of the new coach package but the best they are doing so far is saying I can finance $600 of it. Being a dealer they charge a premium for hitches so I'm debating about how and where to buy one

TV has built in brake controller that works great!

2 hours ago, aztex said:

What makes you thin 30% off MSRP is not that good of a deal?

Where did I say that it wasn't? As I said, if you really are getting a good enough price then the dealer won't have enough margin to buy you a hitch without losing money on the deal. 

I doubt if buying a second or third trailer from the same dealer is going to get you any special treatment.  On each sale the dealer is going to try to make as much money as they can, and at some point they are not going to drop the price (or throw in free items) any more.  If you really think that you're getting a smoking deal, then pull the trigger. If a $700 hitch is a make-or-break issue then walk away.  Pretty simple really.

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

8 hours ago, aztex said:

True..

30% off MSRP and you think they should give you more?!!! To me, that 30% off IS your repeat customer deal. How about you just take 25% off and they'll throw in a slinky so you'll feel like you got something?

Linda Sand

7 minutes ago, sandsys said:

30% off MSRP and you think they should give you more?!!! To me, that 30% off IS your repeat customer deal. How about you just take 25% off and they'll throw in a slinky so you'll feel like you got something?

Linda Sand

All I can say..

I have experienced more semi-hostile and wise acre responses on this forum today than the entire time I've been here before!

What happened? Used to be THE most friendly and helpful forum and recently populated with opinionated know-it-alls....

My personal experience in buying an RV from a dealer was when we bought a Monaco Class A.  It was at a show and was a less desireable floorplan and color scheme.  But DW & I liked it, so we put a deal together.  We got great financing and price BUT... and there is always a BUT.  The coach had some repairs needing done since it had been on lots for a while and so, we put the list as part of the deal.  We took delivery, got the walkthrough and took it home.  The items on the list were confirmed during the walkthrough.  We took the coach to the dealer for the warranty work, some dealer responsibility and some Monaco.  They had it for 3.5 months and still had not ANY work.  (We learned later that this was when Monaco was going through bankruptcy).  No work was done, we picked up our NEW coach, took it to an independent repair place and they got the work done, BUT... and there is always a but, we signed a guarantee that we would pay if Monaco didnt.  Well, bankruptcy in place, they didnt and we were on the hook for nearly $4000 of work.  Now our deal became far less appetizing.

Moral of my story is, I will never buy new again, and when I buy used, I will expect and accept doing some work but will enjoy the price difference and get what I want.  There really is no great deal.  30% off MSRP is a formula that is based on somebody else math, so it is so relative for each of us.  I now own a couple of quality built 5ers that I do and intend to do more, work to, esp to make them what my DW and I want for our use.

Marcel

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Often when people don’t get the responses they want, they say the forum is hostile.  Don’t ask the question if you want a predetermined response.  

No...It's comments like this! ^^^^^^

And your other nonsense on my other thread about Thousand Trails.

I don't come here for lectures lady....

Edited by aztex

6 hours ago, aztex said:

I quoted you verbatim... "Now I personally doubt that your price is actually that good,"

My comment was intended as a caution that most RV sales people are very good at manipulating the numbers to mislead us customers to think that we are getting a better price than is actually true. If you are careful and sure that the price is that good, then in my opinion you have done very well and are getting a much better price than most buyers get. That being the case, your dealer may not have enough margin left for him to justify adding in his cost to supply you the hitch that you want. I base my strong distrust of commissioned sales people on many years of buying cars & RVs as well as having worked with some in a different business, but who were commissioned sales people. You may well be one of those few who get the very best price a dealer can give. It isn't you that I don't have faith in. I didn't intend this to be a "stinky" response but one of caution. Sometimes the dealer refuses to do more because you have driven such a good price that he can't afford to do any more. That would seem to be the case here. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct a typo

23 hours ago, aztex said:

Thanks!

I think I'm most curious as to folks here's experience buying multiple times from same dealer and what sort of perks they get added. The RV'ers I know personally are on #5 or #6 coach 10 years in..... We're repeat buyers!

IMO, 5 or 6 coaches in 10 yrs is a bit different than 2 coaches in 2 years.  And, you admit the salesman and sales manager from your first deal are both gone.  So the people you're dealing with now don't know you from your first deal.

If this is a mom and pop dealer, maybe they would remember you if you come back in a few years.  If this is a dealer in a chain, like CW, I doubt they would remember you, or even care.