USPS Forwarding - Can't Renew

joni6577

Does anyone have any recent experience with USPS temporary forwarding? You're supposed to be able to set up temporary forwarding for 6 months, and then have the option to renew for another 6 months.

My 6 month temporary forwarding order is expiring in a few days, but when I go to the USPS web site to renew for another 6 months, it won't let me. If I try to set the expiration date beyond the original 6 months, it says: "The Date to Stop Forwarding Mail cannot be more than 6 months after the Date to Begin Forwarding Mail. You will receive a notice allowing you to extend. Total forwarding time cannot exceed 12 months."

But I have received no such notice, via email or otherwise.

Meanwhile I can't select a new expiration date beyond the original 6 months.

Has anyone recently been successful at doing the 6-month renewal on the web? If so can you explain how you did it?

Welcome to the Escapee forums! While we use temporary forwarding to send our mail to the Escapee mail service when we travel, we have not had a need to extend, even though it does clearly state that such is allowed. I suggest that you use the Email Us link and see if they can help.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Try going in person to a local Post Office where you are at. They may have the form you need and be able to send it to your Post Office back home. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Try going in person to a local Post Office where you are at. They may have the form you need and be able to send it to your Post Office back home. 

X2

We have had the Post Office help with filling out the forms for temp forwarding.  They have been helpful.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

My past experience with the USPS web site forced me to use the hard copy card to get my mail forwarded.  The web site was a 50-50 proposition whether forwarding or putting mail on hold.  Simply not reliable.  Worst part was even if the hold/forward was successful, USPS didn't always hold/forward.  Talk about a cluster.

You may have to look into making it a "permanent" change of address.

A few years back, the USPS website worked that way but they seem to have changed it. 
Last fall the website would only allow a temporary change - how can that be if one choose a permanent move?
Prior to that I would make permanent changes and then just change back at the end of travels.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

If you go to USPS.com and click on "Change My Address" in the "Quick Tools" menu, you're taken to a page where you enter the relevant information. Just below the contact information entry area are the selection buttons for "Temporary" or "Permanent". What I'm not seeing anymore is information regarding renewing a temporary move at the end of the 6 month limit. I haven't tried entering a new temp order with an effective date the day after the previous ending date...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system