Hauling 5th Wheel with HDT

I am an owner operator truck driver full time so I have plenty of HDT knowledge but I thought since folks here do this alot I would ask.  What are the issues with trying to use stock commercial 5th wheel hitch instead of mounting a new 5th wheel farther back like a hauler set up? I dont want to modify my truck since I haul 53ft dry van for making a living. Thanks in advance for any help.

The first problem is the side to side articulation.   Unlike a semi trailer the light weight frame under a RV can't stand up to the twisting of uneven roads.  The airbags soften the harsh ride for the RV and it's contents.  Some have gone ahead and used the trucks hitch and it seems sometimes there aren't any problems and sometimes there are.  I use an air hitch and always have.  I didn't want to spend the money but after a quick investigation I felt it wasn't worth the risk.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We used the commercial hitch for two or three years. No issues, other than things in the trailer got tossed around.  With an air hitch, you can see the trailer " floating" over bumps.  Things stay put now.

As to the articulation concerns, a commercial hitch is not designed to capture the pin so tightly, allowing the trailer to rock side to side.  The Binckly style rv hitch uses a two jaw system which clamps the pin tightly, restricting that articulation.  In short, the rv style is a complicated solution to a problem that didn't exist.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...