Knee nixes truck purchase

trimster

So, kinda bad news. In looking for the volvo, my wife is having serious problems getting in the truck. She had knee surgery (meniscus) that has left her with pain when climbing up stairs.  Doing a ladder, like the step design of HDT , is really hard. And the step spacing makes it more difficult and painful. 

Our international 4700 is more akin to stairs,  which is doable for her. So, it looks like we stay with our MDT. (Sad face). 

Our issues with the 4700 are cabin noise and lack of power and rough ride. I can mitigate lots of the noise by adding sound insulation (doors, under hood, under cabin), exhaust resonator & better muffler, quiter tires, and re-upholstering the headliner with fabric & padding, etc. 

Power... water injection is about all we can do with aluminum pistons.

So there we are. Aging is a bitch. 

Bob & lisa

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

My wife has some mobility issues as well and when we decided to get our HDT I looked into step alternatives.  It turned out that she can access the truck, with a little help from me, without any modifications, but I was looking at these options, maybe one of these can work for your wife.

Several people have used this modified option https://photos.app.goo.gl/e2sc8BSgoS8kddkM9

These are foldaway steps and ladders.

Safety step ladder with fold away top rail (use or don't use)
https://www.littlegiantladder.com/products/safety-step-ladder

Brophy Camper Scissor Steps - 4 Steps - Aluminum - Non-Slip Tread - 24" Wide - 300 lbs
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Brophy/AS24.html

Cotterman StockNStore folding rolling ladder
https://www.grainger.com/product/COTTERMAN-3-Step-Folding-Rolling-Ladder-46C347
Cotterman folding latter catalog pages PDF
http://www.cotterman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SNS-103.pdf

Step and store 3 step ladder
https://www.uline.com/BL_1439/Step-And-Store-Ladders

Vestil 3 Step Rolling Ladder With Wheels
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vestil-3-Step-Rolling-Ladder-With-Wheels/120202671?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=7a9fad1e-bec8-43ad-3a01-f62672f3dd03&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=7a9fad1e-bec8-43ad-3a01-f62672f3dd03&item_id=120202671&parent_anchor_item_id=189940578&parent_item_id=189940578&placement_id=irs-2-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=SMT&visitor_id=YCJECgnbSfBON8l_wp9BMQ

TorkLift International - Glow steps
http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/steps-handrails/glowstep

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Roger

Roger and my wonderful wife Margaret
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

I have the scissors for my wife.  Works fine.  Don’t give up the dream.nmhnaFYl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Steps are still steps!   (Stairs are stairs?)

There is more than one outfit that makes a (relatively simple) folding chair type of lift (attaches to the side) of/for Motor Homes which would also work for HDT & MDT.  There are variations for farm tractors, etc.

IIRC one of them is based in AZ.  Google is your friend.

On edit:  Google should lead you to several on YouTube for both non-ambulatory (folks requiring a wheel chair)  - and ambulatory (bad knees, etc.) one of which is a "stand-on" type ("Burr Lift").

Note: Re-injury of (any) knee surgery may require total knee replacement!  Makes those lifts look like an excellent idea...🙂

Edited by Pappy Yokum

1 hour ago, trimster said:

What do these fold up stairs look like when stowed.

v5H4uQKl.jpgQOnT2bJl.jpg

Bracket is mounted on top step and steps clip in.  We unclip and stow in cab under work station.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Ahhh. Makes sense now. 

Thanks for taking the time to get these photos.  Wife feels this is the solution for her. 

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

12 minutes ago, trimster said:

Ahhh. Makes sense now. 

Thanks for taking the time to get these photos.  Wife feels this is the solution for her. 

Bob

Why not buy a set, install on the 4700 and see if they work for her.  

As to 4700, dont know alot about your drivetrain, but I have one with the DT530, 8.7L.  I can use LP injection if I decide to start traveling alot.  Its 300/860 Allison Auto.  Yes, they are noisy buggers and I am interested in what you succeed in doing to cut that down.  I'm running 22.5" wheels with Toyo highway tires.  Seems like alot of air infiltration through the doors too.  I like the truck, very good size to use as daily, but just not comfortable to ride in.  I suppose I could also do a pair of seats, better ones at least, but dont know what direction to go for that either.  Our trailer is not heavy and we have a Trailersaver 32K on bags.  All that works well.  It is a Stalick bed which I like for the room for my tools(I'm a contractor and weld alot). 

Marcel

Not much you can do with them old internationals. They are just work trucks pain and simple. Not made for comfort.  We have a 4900 with a stock box on the back. DT 466 and 7 speed spicer. She rides a lot better with 30 head of 7 weight heifers on the back. Still about 60 mph top speed on flat ground with a tail wind.

ploTteYl.jpg

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

15 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

v5H4uQKl.jpgQOnT2bJl.jpg

Bracket is mounted on top step and steps clip in.  We unclip and stow in cab under work station.

Hi Bob,

I have seen the steps in action. Nice set-up. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Update.

Based on the folding stairs solution, we're moving ahead on the green 630 in Georgia. The oil test and full inspection by a third party are being done next week. Then we fly down to kick the tires.

We really appreciate all the help and support.

Bob & Lisa

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

28 minutes ago, trimster said:

Update.

Based on the folding stairs solution, we're moving ahead on the green 630 in Georgia. The oil test and full inspection by a third party are being done next week. Then we fly down to kick the tires.

We really appreciate all the help and support.

Bob & Lisa

Congrats.  Hope it works out.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Ya, road trip.  It will be jamming back under the CDL radar. Don't have one. Not needed in Utah with reclassification of the truck as a motorhome...which is falling off a log simple. 

The commercial hitch will be removed by the dealer and the trailer air lines. We have Not For Hire graphics coming. Insurance papers in hand as well as the Utah reclassification paperwork. The truck will have temp tags. 

Praying for no red lights at weigh stations.

It should be ....interesting. 

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Ask dealer to save the removed air lines.  They'll come in handy if you ever decide to go to a BluDot brake system rather that using a brake controller.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Trimster;

Don't recall who exactly it is, but somebody on here has a fold-away elevator made for the passenger door. Even had a video to go with it. Wasn't commercial, made for the driver or his DW, looked slick to me. Good Luck

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

37 minutes ago, adept99 said:

Trimster;

Don't recall who exactly it is, but somebody on here has a fold-away elevator made for the passenger door. Even had a video to go with it. Wasn't commercial, made for the driver or his DW, looked slick to me. Good Luck

That originally was Mike Council’s truck now owned by Jim and Cathy Gell.  The lift was Henry’s doing.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

That originally was Mike Council’s truck now owned by Jim and Cathy Gell.  The lift was Henry’s doing.

Henry had another lift in parts that was never installed.

The step design that Carl has is awesome.  But a temp solution, a little redneck though, was to use our Pet Loader steps.  Alie twisted her knee and had a hard time climbing the fairing steps into the truck.  We use the Pet Loader 5 step for our arthritic mutt, and its weight rated to 250lb or so.  Worked great for a month or 2.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

You guys bring out a fond and "ancient" history. This was from "retirement period", I believe Number 3. Three essential elements were at work here:   #1 Time on hand,   #2 Bored engineering mind,    #3 Computer loaded with SolidWorks software.

zoLQO4Bl.jpg

gqKZAhWl.jpg

xfWJ0nml.jpg

8x0nLCel.jpg

OK, so it looks like it will work and fit in a computer,  big deal, lots of engineers can put stuff together in the computer.

BcVmjkQl.jpg

Hmm, it might work.

DWy0Zlel.jpg

Looking good.

TE8n78ql.jpg

I'll be dipped in cow manure, IT WORKS! Low ceiling prevented the test from being performed standing.

UiUe9c2l.jpg

Yes, there was another kit of parts to build another unit on my truck, never happened. No clue where the kit is now.

Do not tell my wife about this lift.  Mother in law said she cant travel with us anymore because it too hard to get in the truck.😉

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Perhaps repurpose a material lift used to raise parts, ie transmissions, engines, etc., to some type of mount that will articulate under the truck, or make it light enough to put on the truck bed.

I like the idea of repurposing the pet stairs.

Marcel