Stock Market Order Types

TLRam1

3 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

What I am finding out by this research of and on the job learning, if you put Trailing Stop Orders on your purchases it will save your margins especially important in a huge downturn we are seeing.

If I had known about this on the pot stocks I would not have lost 20% before getting out. Those of you who held your pot stocks this would have saved your bacon also.

If you use the Trailing Stop Orders feature yourself or through a broker, with Fidelity you choose Good Till Canceled and it last for 6 months but will also send you a notification before it is about to cancel so you can re-up it again. With Merrill Edge I am not sure how long it last or if they have a notification feature. These are the two I have money with, by the way, no reason to use these, it is just what I have.  

I am not telling you to use this but it is an option and I don't see a big downside why we as investors do not utilize it more, we need every edge we can get.

Merrill Edge is either one day or the 6 months out. I would agree about the pot stocks, I was way up and now CRAZY down, but it is at least a 5 year investment for me. It’s going to happen and it just a question of when. And with what the market is doing, I’m thinking it might be sooner..

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ryno, mine is the same on my pot stocks, three to five years out or more. I'm waiting for a major correction to jump in on more index funds. Worse than now. My pot stocks were a gamble that I knew would not pay off big until it's legal federally. But that's only a short matter of time to legal nationwide like Canada. I sure wish I'd bought another 1000 shares when it dropped to 180 last year and waited on the Tesla Model Y. Originally a model 3 order but changed when I realized they were shipping the Y this month. Same two motor AWD long range white trim. I like the blacked out trim on the Y much better than the chrome on the Model 3.

Happy investing!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

12 hours ago, RV_ said:

Ryno, mine is the same on my pot stocks, three to five years out or more. I'm waiting for a major correction to jump in on more index funds. Worse than now. My pot stocks were a gamble that I knew would not pay off big until it's legal federally. But that's only a short matter of time to legal nationwide like Canada. I sure wish I'd bought another 1000 shares when it dropped to 180 last year and waited on the Tesla Model Y. Originally a model 3 order but changed when I realized they were shipping the Y this month. Same two motor AWD long range white trim. I like the blacked out trim on the Y much better than the chrome on the Model 3.

Happy investing!

I was thinking of jumping at at the $180 mark also. A FB cybertruck forum was talking about Tesla’s stock. This is what I posted. The stock Consolidated around 260 and the hung around 360 for just a little bit and has not looked back since.  It might test that base again. I would start dipping in around 360.I parked a bunch of cash into a 1 year CD. And I caught a great 2.2% rate. As we are going to have I think a lot of up and down like the end of 2018. 

Edited by rynosback

When it is time to get back in what will you be purchasing?

FYI, Bank of A. changed their outlook on AMD from a target of 58 to 62.00, this is the stock that doubled my money last year (not selling you on the stock just a FYI about my history). AMD will hold a investors meeting Thursday March 5th how they will be increasing the EPS from what I have read.

You can read a short article here if interested.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/amd-target-price-lifted-at-bank-of-america-ahead-of-analyst-day

Terry

TL,

No one answer. If today the market went into another major recession and Tesla dipped back below $200.00 I'd buy another thousand shares because as I said when I sold that it was only because I was 66 in August 2018 when I sold as the severe drop to $180 started. Knowing it would be a year or two before the dip recovered, I realized I only had a few year window to move before it was less doable due to aging. It had just hit a high of $365.00. My original investment was ~ $22,500.00. When I cashed out my thousand shares to fund our new Forester and house, it was at $348.00. About a 1500% or 15 times my original investment (15 bagger.) I sold some shares so  I took my initial back after it went well over $100.00. so my investment was house money from early on. 

If Tesla is not down and we have a recession then I'll do my best guess at bottom, buy some, and sell anytime it doubles. I'm no longer going to hold long because I am covered for my long term with ACB and NBEV.

I am the least experienced investor here. Tesla was my first individual stock I'd bought ever. My investments were in funds, real property, with lots of sweat equity flipping houses due to 27 years of military assignments. I am not a day trader nor want to be. So I'm the last person to take advice from in investing. I think my pot stocks will do fine over a few more years. I held Tesla through eight very volatile years and did great.

That just an answer to what I'd do next. Could change at any moment based on new data.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

10 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

When it is time to get back in what will you be purchasing?

FYI, Bank of A. changed their outlook on AMD from a target of 58 to 62.00, this is the stock that doubled my money last year (not selling you on the stock just a FYI about my history). AMD will hold a investors meeting Thursday March 5th how they will be increasing the EPS from what I have read.

You can read a short article here if interested.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/amd-target-price-lifted-at-bank-of-america-ahead-of-analyst-day

I have an eye on AMD, I always had AMD computers all my life.  The CEO, she is a great CEO. But I hate chasing stocks. There are several sticks that I’m creating a grocery list on. Some big and some that I think will be up coming.

Edited by rynosback

A have a list of watchers also, two that have garnered a bit more interest for two reasons.

1. New stocks on the market as of 10-19

2. The stocks have been headed in the right direction.

If interested they are.

Viela Bio, Inc. (VIE)

Vir Biotechnology, Inc. (VIR)

Terry

Thanks, sounds like a couple to look at.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

4 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

A have a list of watchers also, two that have garnered a bit more interest for two reasons.

1. New stocks on the market as of 10-19

2. The stocks have been headed in the right direction.

If interested they are.

Viela Bio, Inc. (VIE)

Vir Biotechnology, Inc. (VIR)

Thanks, I will look not them. Bio techs are hit or miss. 

AMD had their stock forecast report.

Looks like the CEO is predicting a stronger forecast the next 5 years. I am not pushing AMD, if I see news of interest I am passing it on, you determine what you get in on your own yardstick.  

" Chief Executive Lisa Su forecast a long-term compound annual growth rate of 20%. "Overall, AMD looks to be going for a growth play with a 20% CAGR (Compound annual growth rate) commitment, a massive uptick over the 14% CAGR the past 5 years," "

The stock has risen on after hours trading and the link is a short paragraph.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-stock-rises-after-hours-on-strong-growth-forecast-2020-03-05?mod=mw_quote_news

Terry

AMD had their stock forecast report.

Looks like the CEO is predicting a stronger forecast the next 5 years. I am not pushing AMD, if I see news of interest I am passing it on, you determine what you get in on your own yardstick.  

" Chief Executive Lisa Su forecast a long-term compound annual growth rate of 20%. "Overall, AMD looks to be going for a growth play with a 20% CAGR (Compound annual growth rate) commitment, a massive uptick over the 14% CAGR the past 5 years," "

The stock has risen on after hours trading and the link is a short paragraph.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-stock-rises-after-hours-on-strong-growth-forecast-2020-03-05?mod=mw_quote_news

I would think if you ask 99.9% of CEOs what they think there for cast would be in 5 years. They would all give you a good outlook.  AMD has had a GREAT run in the last year. Heck airlines and cruise lines will have large increases as they are at tremendous lows in 5 years.

Edited by rynosback

21 hours ago, rynosback said:

I would think if you ask 99.9% of CEOs what they think there for cast would be in 5 years. They would all give you a good outlook.  AMD has had a GREAT run in the last year. Heck airlines and cruise lines will have large increases as they are at tremendous lows in 5 years.

I thought when you were a public company and had the eyes of the SEC on you the CEO just could not blow smoke to the public investors or SEC or you could possibly go to jail for whatever reasons. Maybe not?

Terry

On 3/6/2020 at 8:10 PM, TLRam1 said:

I thought when you were a public company and had the eyes of the SEC on you the CEO just could not blow smoke to the public investors or SEC or you could possibly go to jail for whatever reasons. Maybe not?

If you listen to any conference call it states that it has forward looking thinking in it. Forward thinking are not facts and guaranteed, why they say forward thinking. Companies miss there forcast all the time and sometimes the surpass it. 

Edited by rynosback

My son just put a buy order on Tesla at $400. I'm waiting because I don't think that will be the low. I'm thinking more like $300. But he sold at $400.00. A loss from paying capital gains tax.

I canceled my Model 3 and ordered a Model Y. Now wondering if I'll get it any time soon. I hope lots of folks panic and back out because of the virus pandemic. Then maybe I'll get one of the first off the line this month.

I had the house service changed from 100 amp service to 200 amp with new breaker box, breakers, ground rods, charger wiring and 50Amp outlet like RVs use. Luckily our transformer was able to handle it. Ready and waiting!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, TLRam1 said:

Looks like you bought Apple at a pretty good price, not familiar with HASI, what can you tell me about this stock?

They have been taking a beating. But with a high yield, about 6%, I will get paid to wait and have it come back up. The Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure Capital, Inc. engages in focusing on solutions that reduce carbon emissions and increase resilience to climate change by providing capital and specialized expertise to companies in the energy efficiency, renewable energy and other sustainable infrastructure markets. 
with global warming and companies pledging to be at 0 or negative footprint is right up there alley.

21 hours ago, RV_ said:

My son just put a buy order on Tesla at $400. I'm waiting because I don't think that will be the low. I'm thinking more like $300. But he sold at $400.00. A loss from paying capital gains tax.

I canceled my Model 3 and ordered a Model Y. Now wondering if I'll get it any time soon. I hope lots of folks panic and back out because of the virus pandemic. Then maybe I'll get one of the first off the line this month.

I had the house service changed from 100 amp service to 200 amp with new breaker box, breakers, ground rods, charger wiring and 50Amp outlet like RVs use. Luckily our transformer was able to handle it. Ready and waiting!

Congratulations! Your son now owns some Tesla stock. 

Ryno, he owns Tesla stock again. He didn't listen to me at first, and bought a lot of shares at $145 a few years back that he just sold when Tesla topped $400.00 recently. He put a buy order in for $400.

I'll have the car and he'll own some stock. If it drops way down to the 2019 lows again, I'll pick up 500 or so shares again. I know it is still a sure thing. But index funds smell good right now too. It's a fun place this spaceship earth, I've ridden it around the sun 68 times in May! What a ride!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

23 hours ago, rynosback said:

They have been taking a beating. But with a high yield, about 6%, I will get paid to wait and have it come back up. The Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure Capital, Inc. engages in focusing on solutions that reduce carbon emissions and increase resilience to climate change by providing capital and specialized expertise to companies in the energy efficiency, renewable energy and other sustainable infrastructure markets. 
with global warming and companies pledging to be at 0 or negative footprint is right up there alley.

Thanks for the info, 6% is attractive, the stock has recently seen a high of 39 down to 20 now, looks like you could easily hit 30 per share.

I didn't know Tesla was so low, I will need to watch that one closer also and the tip on Disney is down from 145 to 93.

I will throw another company out that I just noticed it is so low, I worked for the back in the 80s and 90s, held their stock up until 18 months ago. They are the largest food service distributor in the USA that caters to the restaurant industry and chain establishments. They are a solid company who knows how to make money, nothing exciting just a steady company.

There stock hovered around 65 to 70 with a high the first part of the year at 84, now it is at 35, could not believe this when I saw it. If you see a reason why not to buy this post up. Analyst had a sell at 85 and a hold at 75.

SYY - Sysco Foods Houston TX.

Keep the ideas coming for us to check out.

Terry

A couple more people gave me today. If any of this interest you, a couple do me and look attractive.

(BUD) as in beer, was 90.00 now 36.00.

Chili's (EAT) running 40.00 now at 11.00

BJ's Restaurant (BJRI) was 40 in Feb now 8.00, up 22% today 3-19 with about 6% dividends to boot.

The last two look attractive to me, check these out and if you see an issue with them post up.

There show be a chart of stocks somewhere that shows the ones with the highest losses I could look at and choose maybe even better ones from that list, had not had time to look for that though. Tesla was down further today but maybe a few above offer grater gains and less volatile. 

Post up your opinions.

Terry

A couple more people gave me today. If any of this interest you, a couple do me and look attractive.

(BUD) as in beer, was 90.00 now 36.00.

Chili's (EAT) running 40.00 now at 11.00

BJ's Restaurant (BJRI) was 40 in Feb now 8.00, up 22% today 3-19 with about 6% dividends to boot.

The last two look attractive to me, check these out and if you see an issue with them post up.

There show be a chart of stocks somewhere that shows the ones with the highest losses I could look at and choose maybe even better ones from that list, had not had time to look for that though. Tesla was down further today but maybe a few above offer grater gains and less volatile. 

Post up your opinions.

I personally think any restaurants stock will not be a buy for a while. I think it is going to get worse before it gets better. I mean a lot of business are closing, especially bars and restaurants, I think there is ALOT more paint to come on those.

Edited by rynosback