Establishing SD residency, Bank recommendations?

drjenk

Hi,

We are moving from WA, starting to full time RV, and have registered our SD residence address.  I want to cut all ties with WA, and establish our banking in SD as well.  What bank/credit union has worked for you all in SD?   I'm looking into Black Hills Credit Union but thought I'd ask here what experiences you have all had with your financial institutions in SD.  Thanks!

No real reason to change banks unless you really dislike your current bank.   If going to change, go with one that is found in most parts of the country, so that you'll be more likely to find a branch as you travel should you need it.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Are you going to be a fulltimer? If so you want a bank that has locations almost everywhere you will travel. I do most of my banking online now but I keep my Wells Fargo accounts I had in CA. There is a Wells Fargo branch almost everywhere including one in downtown Rapid City. I just changed my address to the Escapees address but keep the same accounts. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I don't understand the emphasis on location. We have banked with USAA in San Antonio for decades. We have never been inside that bank and they have no branches. We used to bank by mail; now we bank by phone or computer. When we need cash, we get it at the grocery store during checkout. What do you all do in person that you causes you to need physical locations?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I am cheap and will not pay ATM fees to get MY money. I keep Chase accounts in Texas that I have had for many years but because I spend summers in the UP of MI, I had to open and account at a credit union there. They have a system where you can use your ATM card at any credit union in the country without fees.

6 hours ago, drjenk@gmail.com said:

For some reason I got the idea we had to change our financial institutions to "cut ties" with our old state, for domicile change reasons. 

There is no specific list of things that make you a resident or that define domicile. The only time it is a problem is when or if someone should challenge your domicile claim. In such a case the more ties that you have to the location that you claim as domicile, the better. I suggest that you read The Issue of Domicile, written by Shawn Loring.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...