I just had to cancel my Model 3 order

RV_

It was just too low for my surgically repaired back and neck. I could do preset profiles for entering and exiting. But in a year or two may be a hassle. And I'm keeping this one. So for a little more I ordered the Model Y which is just enough higher I think so I'm not twisting and contorting to get in and out of the 3. The Model  3 would have been delivered in just two to three weeks! No idea how long for the Model Y delivery, they begin shipping next month, just a few weeks. But my $100.00 deposit was non refundable or transferable. "Gettin what you really wanted tax." ;)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV, I can sympathize.  Finally, I've reached a financial point in my life when I can afford a Corvette or Miata etc. just as a fun drive.  I just can't get in and out of them without much effort and agony.  Hope the Y works out for you.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Thanks guys, I can get in and out now but we don't recover from old age. In a year or three it might be hard for me too. I was and am excited! I had no idea the Model Y was already in production, and may get mine within a month or two. See, I plan on keeping this one as my car for life. If I live long enough to need a $10k battery pack replacement 8-10 years from now, that's what I'll do. They have lots of early to present high mileage Teslas to show they hold up.

Tesla closed today down at ~$900.00.

From the 20 Feb 2020 Autoblog:

Excerpt:

Tesla Model Y gets official EPA range ratings, meeting the expectations

A 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance will go 315 miles on a full charge, according to final numbers posted to the EPA’s fuel economy site. Forbes spotted the posting first, and they match the numbers that were laid out in Tesla’s Q4 2019 earnings report. Tesla initially promised a range of approximately 280 miles when the Model Y was revealed, but “due to continued engineering progress of the Model Y all-wheel drive,” the number was revised to 315 miles.

The official MPGe rating was also revealed by this posting to the EPA’s site, too, showing that the Model Y received a 121 MPGe combined rating. That makes it the most efficient electric crossover or SUV out there, just beating the Hyundai Kona Electric by a sliver (rated at 120 MPGe). For some further perspective on that MPGe number, the Audi E-Tron is rated at a much lower 74 MPGe combined, and a Jaguar I-Pace at 76 MPGe. Since the Kona’s battery pack is much smaller than the Model Y’s, it can only go 258 miles on a full charge, as opposed to the Tesla’s 315-mile rating.

We’ll also note that this rating is only for the dual-motor Performance trim with all-wheel drive. Tesla estimates the Long Range version at the same 315 miles on its website, but there’s no separate rating on the EPA’s site yet. Both the Model 3 Long Range and Model 3 Performance have the same 322-mile EPA rating for range, so this isn’t an anomaly within Tesla. If you opt for the Model Y Performance with the Performance Upgrade, you get a lowered suspension, performance brakes, larger 21-inch wheels and a higher top speed (155 mph instead of 145 mph). Larger wheels tend to sway EPA range ratings by a significant amount — see the Leaf Plus — and the estimated range falls down to 280 miles on Tesla’s site with this package selected.

Look out for Model Ys to start hitting the streets soon, as production is supposed to begin next month."

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/20/tesla-model-y-range/

Tesla says 315 for my dual motor long range Model Y. It is much larger inside and the driver seat higher than the Model 3. Had I known they were this close to production I would have ordered it first a few weeks ago. But being just after the first delivered any fitment issues should be resolved much faster than with any previous model as the sled shares much with the 3.

I am a very happy camper. I've had my Porsche 914 Targa, a performance Bischoffen prepped Autobahn BMW 525i (520i? I forget) my MG midgets and 240Zs, three big Mercedes, bunches of Norton, Triumph, Silver Wings, three Goldwings, Kawasakis, Yamaha 750s, a Motoguzzi, and one 1996 Harley Electra Glide Classic I bought new while stationed in Germany, among a lot of Hot VWs and even a custom 64 Corvair and an AMC PacerX! And lots more cars and bikes. For most of the 70s and 80s I'd build/restore cars trucks and motorcycles and get bored and want to do another differently inside, out, or engine mods on the VWs and sell buy and build every two months. I was having a blast and since they were for me one at a time they weren't wash and detail then sell junkers. I made at least double my investment so I gave half to the house and the other half bought my new project and the money to do it. My builders were our third vehicle but I still finished each within two weeks to a month even when I did all new interior and a new paint job. My trucks were some mini trucks and four Ram Diesels the first a one ton dually we full timed with towing two HitchHiker 36' fivers. I had a Ford Ranger for six months but it got 18mpg and couldn't accelerate up a hill too well with an empty 14 foot two axle trailer. One of my Rams was a 2006 short bed four door which I got rid of in four months, the rest were long beds which drove smoother and didn't beat me up like a short bed did.

So a Tesla bought for me by Tesla is the icing on the cake. It appears most folks on these forums have never taken a test drive in Tesla any Model. It costs nothing to see what I've been raving about. I had a friend let me drive his model S in 2014, and drove the Leaf in 2015, as well as the Mitsubishi MiEV. No gas or diesel vehicle compares as a package. I can't believe everyone hasn't taken the time to see for themselves. Nothing like it.😉

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Glen,

For $35.00 each you can buy adapters and charge at the 50amp outlet and charge a Model Y to 315 miles range on my home 50amp in just a few hours. The model 3 long range charges to 322 miles when fully charged; the Model Y to 315 miles range when fully charged. There are recommendations to set the controller to charge no more than 80% except for before an actual long trip.

You can charge it from a 15 Amp 110 - 115 volt home regular outlet but from empty to full would take up to a week. Here are all the types of home electric outlets one can install and how many miles per hour of charging. Go to this link and scroll down. It shows the miles per hour charge rates:

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

I am installing the NEMA 14-50 https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/installation-guides/nema-14-50-installation-guide.pdf

The adapter is $35.00, scroll down here: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

The charging cord comes with the car, and one household 115 adapter.

My limiting factor is my house has 100 Amp service. I need 200amp service to handle all possible loads. 150 Amp minimum because I bought a house here with A/C. It had an electric range but I had a gas line installed for the new gas range, since we bought all new top line appliances anyway in November. The Colorado Springs utility company verified my transformer can handle it. At 4pm today my electrician is coming to write his final bid for service upgrade including a new breaker box and wires conduit to and installing the NEMA 50Amp outlet to deliver 30-32 Amps safely with our full load and charging with no brown outs.

I bought a new Forester last March 2019. I have ~ 6500 miles on it including the 950 mile trip up here. I could likely just drive less than 30 miles a day and use the 15 amp adapter which gives three miles an hour and keep it charged to full in a ten hour over night charge. Same with a flatbed/trailer towed Tesla in an RV park.

I'm not suggesting any RVr buy one. But in my seven years of full timing I have run across folks in Prevost and similar bus conversions/DP large motor homes with trailers for their cars and tools that are painted to match. Or like some whomwon't invest that much have my wife drive it after our rig as a chase car to our destinations for that day. Since we never traveled more than 200 miles in a day 30miles per hour of charging at a 50amp plug takes 200÷30 miles per hour is 6.6 hours charge to fully charged. Or we could run around shopping/rat killing for 50ro sixty miles and add two hours charge time for 8.6 hours. We sleep 8-9 hours. Doable with the want and means. Same for the home charger. Just my electrical service change and outlet will cost from $2500-3500.00! 

2019 Tesla Model 3 · Fuel economy
City: 120 - 140 MPGe · Highway: 112 - 136 MPGe
Will be close to the same for the Model Y

What does MPGe mean for electric cars?
Effectively, MPGe is a measure that lets consumers compare the familiar measure of fuel economy in gasoline and diesel cars--miles per gallon--with the very different energy use of electric cars. Normally measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh), it isn't always easy to see how much of a benefit you might be getting by running an electric car.

Our Tesla will replace the 2006 Subaru Turbo Baja I just had restored including fully re-manufactured engine/suspension/drive train. It gets only 15-19 mpg! (but is very fast for a car let alone a pickup which it is also) We'll save money on fuel/electric. I make no claims to ROI. Like our whole house 25Kw auto switching natural gas generator in our last house there is no real return on ROI even when selling. But when it kicked on within 15 seconds we'd smile at each other in pleasure of having that control/convenience. Some things are lifestyle and only lifestyle comforts. No one needs a Prevost. No one needs a Tesla or a Land Rover. My Subaru Forester can do what my Tesla can except comfort performance, and fueling at home. Next year we may get a Cybertruck too. No fossil fueled vehicles. We have a new Electric Greenworks battery Snow Blower and 22" battery lawn mower both using the same 60 volt 6 and 4 Amp batteries that do run for an hour. But by buying the mower at half off in early winter and the Snow blower, both with military discount, I got both for the price of one top quality gas self propelled mower. (the greenworks mower is still deck and top rated) We also have all the Ryobi 18 volt 1+ tools including the 1/1" impact wrench, angle grinder, drill, impact driver LED lights, radio, Six battery charger maintainer, even their chainsaw and multi tool and many more. No more lugging out long extension cords or pancake compressor which we still have for Lynn's nail guns and to blow out and clean with air. But the pistol grip Ryobi air compressor is much easier and quicker to check and fill our vehicle tires with it. We even have the Ryobi 18 volt string trimmer and leaf blower, as well as the wet dry vac that also uses the 18 volt batteries. We have 2 ea. 6amp, three 4amp, two 3 Amp or two I forget, and five small Ryobi batteries that last forever on the radios, lights and impact drivers. Lots of change in battery tech and more to come.

Hope that helps.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Only 50 amp circuit we have is connected to our RV. So no one wants to disconnect our homes to charge a car. I do agree it would be a great car for the home owner, just not practical for rvers

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Only 50 amp circuit we have is connected to our RV. So no one wants to disconnect our homes to charge a car. I do agree it would be a great car for the home owner, just not practical for rvers

This was my thinking also. But thinking about it, is there 100 amps being supplied to the CG pedestal? If so you could switch the rig over to 30 amps and hook the car to 50 amps. But then you would want another Autoformer to carry also. I say that because I would think that you would want good clean power as you would not want to damage the charging system of batteries because of possible low voltage. I say this because where I am now the voltage seems to drop every night to 105-108 volts for several hours. Not sure why as it is winter in the desert and there should not be a large demand for electricity. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Good thought for RVing with a Tesla. I didn't think of that Ryno, thanks.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Good thought for RVing with a Tesla. I didn't think of that Ryno, thanks.

So you think that a 50 amp pedestal has 100 amps to it? Because at 50 amp ones there is a 30 amp and a 20 amp 120 plug usually. This is how I came up with 100 amps. But another thought is that you would need to have a longs 50 amp extension cord. As most pedestals are at the rear to middle of the site.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 2/18/2020 at 7:17 PM, RV_ said:

It was just too low for my surgically repaired back and neck. I could do preset profiles for entering and exiting. But in a year or two may be a hassle. And I'm keeping this one. So for a little more I ordered the Model Y which is just enough higher I think so I'm not twisting and contorting to get in and out of the 3. The Model  3 would have been delivered in just two to three weeks! No idea how long for the Model Y delivery, they begin shipping next month, just a few weeks. But my $100.00 deposit was non refundable or transferable. "Gettin what you really wanted tax." ;)

good call on figuring out what will not work for your back.

I suspect Tesla has made a bundle with cancelled $100 deposits.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

The Tesla will auto detect input voltage and if it above or below a certain range, it will disconnect. The fifty amp circuit should supply 50 amps at 240 volts, or 100 amps of 120 volt power on two legs or a combination of the two, up to 12000 watts.

You can charge a Tesla at 10 amps at 120 volts, [1200 watts] about the same as a small microwave. Not very quickly, you can replenish about 48 miles of driving in 12 hours. Fine if you have a short commute to work.

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Yeppers James. Although I'm not current on my current! ;)

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, rynosback said:

So you think that a 50 amp pedestal has 100 amps to it? Because at 50 amp ones there is a 30 amp and a 20 amp 120 plug usually. This is how I came up with 100 amps. But another thought is that you would need to have a longs 50 amp extension cord. As most pedestals are at the rear to middle of the site.

Ryno,

It makes no difference and here's why. If you use your truck as a daily driver, you'd need to fuel up before doing any sightseeing, unless you have an HDT with 200 gallon tanks and no car carrier with Smart. We'd usually park in or near destinations we'd want to drive around like national or state parks or cities like San Francisco, Seattle, etc. So you can charge at the pedestal's 15/20amp plug and gain 3/4 miles per hour charged. Assuming 20 Amp the gives 40 miles range in 10 hours. Let's not forget the Tesla Superchargers especially at destinations. they can be used anywhere. I checked the price in Denver area and a full charge from 0-315 miles would cost about ~ ten bucks. 

So the pedestal could make do for some folks who are just running errands or going out for a movie or dinner. But that's only to charge on a 20 Amp regular house plug to replace the 40 mikes or less driven. But remember it has a 315 miles range so you're not limited to 40 miles a day!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

re: 100A pedestal. That is an ideal situation only. The amp draw from each leg must be exactly the same to reach 100A. Reason, each leg supplies 50A maximum. It is impossible to draw 60/40; well, unless you remove the 50A dual breakers and direct-wire the pedestal.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Not as much as Elio.  🙂

Amen! LOL :lol:

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998