Sign in to follow this  
RV_

Microsoft just combined Word, Excel, and PowerPoint into a single handy Android app

Wow! Now instead of separate free versions of Word and Excel for my Android phones, they have an Android free Microsoft Office App!

Excerpt:

"Most of us have more apps than we need on our phones, so I’ve always been a little annoyed that reading Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents requires separate apps – even if I’ll only ever use some of them sparingly.

Fret no more: today Microsoft publicly released the first unified Office app for Android. The app was previously only available for Office Insiders during a preview period that began in November with a small group of users, according to Thurrott.com. Now it’s available publicly right in the Play Store.

The app does much more than let you read and edit documents from those three apps though. Some other features include:

• Quickly jotting down notes (which can sync with the Windows 10 Sticky Notes app)
  • Scanning text from images, including spreadsheets
  • Reading and signing PDFs
  • Scanning images using your phone camera
  • Transferring files to your computer and nearby devices

It’s not clear if Microsoft plans to eventually replace the dedicated Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps on Android, or if the unified Office app will live on in parallel for the foreseeable future. There’s also no word on when the app will arrive on iOS, and Android Police also notes the app does not appear to work properly on tablets just yet. We’ve contacted Microsoft for more information will update this post if we hear back. In the meantime, you can download the new Office app here."

Source: https://thenextweb.com/apps/2020/02/17/microsoft-just-combined-word-excel-and-powerpoint-into-a-single-handy-android-app/

See also: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/02/17/microsofts-new-all-in-one-office-app-is-now-available-for-all-but-tablets-arent-supported/

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

Wow! Now instead of separate free versions of Word and Excel for my Android phones, they have an Android free Microsoft Office App!

Thanks for the tip.  I just downloaded the app!

RV

Linda tried to download the app on her Galx 8s from the play store and they want $8.00 a year for it?

docj

Did you pay for it?

Dennis

I wasn't asked to pay for the app, but I already pay a monthly fee for a Microsoft Office 365 account.  

YW Joel!

It is not available for tablets yet, according the the article I posted above. Read the last para in my post above. It's free for Android phones, replaces the three free Word, Excel, and Powerpoint apps, or for now coexists with them. I installed with no issues. I have Office 365 military edition as well. For five computers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_install-mso_winother-mso_365hp/office-365-home-military-edition/8e8ac1cb-83b3-4ff0-981f-52b5727690a3 They put it on sale for $69.95 once a year or so. That's when I buy. https://www.shopmyexchange.com/microsoft-office-365-home-subscription-military-edition/8011915

Edited by RV_

RV

Then do you need a paid subscription to Office 365 to download the free Andorid app?

Dennis

No, the app is free and separate. Not for tablets of computers just phones. Read the link in my first post.

RV

I did read your first post and I know it is for phones only I was only telling you and others what Linda experienced when she tried to download it to her Samsung Galaxey 8 smart phone from the play store which you should have know had you read my post.

Dennis

On 2/22/2020 at 8:52 AM, DJW said:

RV

I did read your first post and I know it is for phones only I was only telling you and others what Linda experienced when she tried to download it to her Samsung Galaxey 8 smart phone from the play store which you should have know had you read my post.

Dennis

When you go to download the app, there are quite a few apps that come up with similar names.  Possibly she didn't select the correct one. I've attached a screenshot which shows the icon being used for this particular app.  Make sure that you only select an app with this icon.

office.jpg