Head lights

runaway parents

Got the ok to put new head lights on the truck. I remember that there was a topic on this but I cant find it  .Got to do some 3:00am driving . Stock headlights are shot. Headed over the passes to go to a truck show got a personal invite and entry fees where paid for .Cant say no got to show. Got till July 25  to get things polish and shined up. If some one can point in the right direction for lights I would appreciate it. Thanks

Check Deep Space Lighting for the best in HDT headlights. 

https://deepspacelighting.com/

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

34 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

Check Deep Space Lighting for the best in HDT headlights. 

https://deepspacelighting.com/

X2  👍

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

X2  👍

X3 😎  I have a question for you. How our your headlight housings ?  If you need new housings look at the Depo brand. Cheaper then stock housings and work out great.

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Talked to sales rep at Deep space and he described to me what was going on with my lights . Before I had a chance to even tell him sounds like the projectors are degrading which is the reason for dim lighting.  I wonder if these stock lights are going to quit on me when I need them the most. Is this a possibility? Sounds like it would be quite an improvement over what I have now.  Because the housing is so faded and scratched up  he suggested  new housing's .Seeing that this was a up grade kit he would get new housing's and install the kit in them for me and all I would have to do was to install new housings and plug them in. Sounds easy enough. All of this for just under a grand. Going to have to run this past my banker A K A wife. May have to sacrifice a camping trip to afford this. We will see.May have to rent out the kids bedroom.

Edited by runaway parents

One evening on the way home from Alaska, I told my wife, "I'd give $1,000 for good lights right now."  David must have heard me, as later he had the kits on sale.  It hurt a bit to write the check, but I smile every time I turn them on.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

4 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Talked to sales rep at Deep space and he described to me what was going on with my lights . Before I had a chance to even tell him sounds like the projectors are degrading which is the reason for dim lighting.  I wonder if these stock lights are going to quit on me when I need them the most. Is this a possibility? Sounds like it would be quite an improvement over what I have now.  Because the housing is so faded and scratched up  he suggested  new housing's .Seeing that this was a up grade kit he would get new housing's and install the kit in them for me and all I would have to do was to install new housings and plug them in. Sounds easy enough. All of this for just under a grand. Going to have to run this past my banker A K A wife. May have to sacrifice a camping trip to afford this. We will see.May have to rent out the kids bedroom.

You could do it in steps. Get the new housings now and then in a month or too get David's head lights. It's just an idea to spread out the payment. At times I need to to the same thing. Just watch your credit card cycle. Does your truck have the factory fog/driving light housings ?

6 hours ago, alan0043 said:

X3 😎  I have a question for you. How our your headlight housings ?  If you need new housings look at the Depo brand. Cheaper then stock housings and work out great.

X4😁 Depo Brand/deep space lighting from Dave.  It was the best mod we did...  worth every penny!

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

7 hours ago, alan0043 said:

They have seen better days when you kick the high beams down to low it is like shutting them off. These things are way over do to be changed.

2 hours ago, alan0043 said:

You could do it in steps. Get the new housings now and then in a month or too get David's head lights. It's just an idea to spread out the payment. At times I need to to the same thing. Just watch your credit card cycle. Does your truck have the factory fog/driving light housings ?

I guess if your talking about the ones in the bumper.

15 hours ago, runaway parents said:

I guess if your talking about the ones in the bumper.

Those are the ones I was talking about. I use mind to help to light the road up better. David is a good guy to deal with.

Good luck with your head lights.
Al

You might want to look into your lights now. See if there getting anywhere the power they need. Unreal how many headlights are under powered.

I know A lot of trucks, are only getting 11 volts or less to the bulbs. Adding a Headlight Relay conversion harness uses the factory wiring. But only trips the relay, and gives you full power to each bulb.

Did this to my Toy 1989 Ford Bronco Full size. Made my headlights go from sad to WOW. Will be making a harness up for my Kenworth next. Well worth the $25. to $40 to make one up.

You would need a the plugs that fit your bulbs. Along with a male plug to plug back into one of your factory light plugs. And water proofing the other, as only one is needed High and low to work the relay.

Just google headlight relay diagram. Lots of info on doing it. Not sure about your truck, but seen it done a lot of the big trucks.

event.png

Well here we go . Been a change in the light idea. ( Banker aka wife) explained to me I had to make a choice ether jeep or headlights this year. Well  this was a no brainer  time for me to role up my sleeves and break out the wet or dry sand paper. Went from 800 grit to 3000 grit. And then went to the McGuire's head light restore kit.  Hit them with a polish and buffing wheel. And about 4 hrs. latter they are not like new but they are a 100 percent better. Amazing what you can get done when you are properly motivated. My motivator (aka wife) and I are heading to the car lot to look for a jeep,  the hunt is on! guess we will have to wait till next year to get those lights. I know this is a temporary fix but it will get me buy for this year . Rome wasn't built in a day. Any body have a 2 door Rubicon for sale

21 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Just so you know , that headlight relay that Pete mentions above is a pretty common improvement on Jeeps , too . 

Kinda like day and night difference . ;)

That's a common fix on motorcycles too.  Just be aware, the increased voltage that yields more light, kills incandescent bulbs too.  They can't handle a full 12v (or more) for nearly as long.  But, who uses incandescent bulbs?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 2/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, rickeieio said:

That's a common fix on motorcycles too.  Just be aware, the increased voltage that yields more light, kills incandescent bulbs too.  They can't handle a full 12v (or more) for nearly as long.  But, who uses incandescent bulbs?

Working on a harness for my old bike now. 1998 Kwaskaki Voyager XII, headlight is good. But we always want better. Went for a short ride yesterday. We had a heatwave, 40 degrees and windchill in standing still 34 degrees. Windchill on the bike, who cares. I was riding that's the only thing that matters. Need to give her a cleaning and waxing.

01c5C67l.jpg

event.png

32 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I installed a headlight kill switch on my Honda CB750 . Mainly for when the battery was low . 

It was a simple push button on/off switch . Fortunately , I didn't have to use it very often .

My headlight does not come on. Until the engine starts up. Then it will come on, chased that down one day. Because the light was not coming on when I turned the key on. All that work and still could not figure it out. Started it up and it came back on.

event.png

9 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

That's a nice feature and a battery saver . ;)

Sure miss the old days. When we had to turn the headlights on. But like everything else. There there trying to idiot proof everything. I know its safer to run with the lights on. But should be able to tie it into the gears. When in gear lights on.

I did get a short ride in today. 64 degrees man it was nice.

event.png

4 minutes ago, Pete Kildow said:

Sure miss the old days. When we had to turn the headlights on. But like everything else. There there trying to idiot proof everything. I know its safer to run with the lights on. But should be able to tie it into the gears. When in gear lights on.

I did get a short ride in today. 64 degrees man it was nice.

But Pete , didn't you know , none of us are capable of anything anymore . LOL

I went for a little ride yesterday . Low 70s and sunny . Gotta love those country roads that you have almost to yourself . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 6:32 PM, Pat & Pete said:

But Pete , didn't you know , none of us are capable of anything anymore . LOL

I went for a little ride yesterday . Low 70s and sunny . Gotta love those country roads that you have almost to yourself . ;)

So true on both accounts. Yesterday here was 72 and lots of Sun. Seen one more bike.

event.png