Hi Escapees, We are an Aussie couple coming to Florida on Feb 25th to buy a used 5th Wheeler and a truck so we can travel the US and Canada for the next couple of years. The AUD / USD FX is not helping us but we are doing it anyway. Ideally we would like a 30 to 34' trailer with dual A/C, heated underbelly and 2 or 3 slides around the 2013 or later era. We are planning on doing some skiing in the trailer next season so it needs to be polarized. We are looking for a 3500 long bed truck with DRW in any brand but with the luxury pack around 2012 or later. I know we probably do not need the DRW but we don't get these in Aussie and "I just want one". We have lived in Canada before and done something similar in a  "C" class but now we are retired now and the kids are busy so we are ready to do it properly and spend their inheritance. We have searched the internet on Auto Trader and RV trader sites to see what is around but would welcome any advice or recommendations anyone has to offer or if anyone has something for sale we would love to hear from you. Does not have to be in Florida but this is where we decided to start from. Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Rod and Karen

"rodholmes2020@gmail.com"

Rod and Karen and Molly and URN13.JPG

On 2/13/2020 at 11:36 PM, Bobbyb said:

Bring your vw bus and i will buy it. Have you looked at PPL consignment.  They have lots of units.

HaHa, Thanks Kevin, think I will keep the kombi for a bit longer, I will look at PPL now, thanks for the tip.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:53 PM, Sculptor said:

I emailed also.  Try CarGurus.com.  I use it a lot when comparison shopping.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:53 PM, Sculptor said:

I emailed also.  Try CarGurus.com.  I use it a lot when comparison shopping.

Thanks I have been looking at car guru's, appreciate the advice.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:58 AM, aknavy said:

I have this one for sale.  Setup for travel and trouble free. Independent suspension, disk brakes, and a bunch more. 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Custom, has cold weather pack and tank heaters, $28k.  If interested, let me know and I can get all the details to you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10KEWVbdza539j6T0w4NT7RxzJDXtDF10

Hi, This Cedar Creek looks awesome. Unfortunately our budget is 20K for the van and 30K for the truck. If you would consider something closer to 20K we would love to get more information and have a look but I totally understand if we are too far apart on price. Email me on "rodholmes2020@gmail.com" if there is any interest. Thanks Rod

Just my humble opinion, if spending only $20k, for a camper, your either buying something old, or newer, light-weight and not built to take full time living.  I bought a camper for $12k but had to replace tires/brakes/wheel bearings to start.  And mine was actually barely used/like new.  For a little elbow grease, you can get a sold/older unit in your price but you must be willing to work on them on the road, something will eventually wear out.  I plan on keeping mine atleast another year so can't help you on that.  Also, planning on $30k for the tow vehicle, your not going to get anything fairly new or of any size.  Might want to consider a newer/smaller truck (less breakdowns/repairs) and an older/smaller camper.  My truck was 3 years old when purchased and cost $55k.  If you go the route I did, and near North Dakota, I have the tools and would help you on minor stuff, during the warm months.  Cold months, deals off, don't plan on being here.

You mentioned you have used a class C in Canada, might you look that direction to purchase?  Buy an older but good condition toad for.... $15-20k then use the rest of your budget for an older class A or C?  I'm just thinking/typing out loud, feel free to ignore my rambling.  Enjoy your travels in the US, many great places to visit!

Edited by NDBirdman

I would also recommend PPL in Houston, Texas, for the fifth wheel and the pickup. One half of all vehicles registered in Harris County (Houston) are pickups so there are lots to choose from. Good Luck and welcome to North America.

Rod & Karen,

I am an Aussie American living in the USA for the past 20 years. I am currently in Dade City, FL (north of Tampa) living in our RV and building for Habitat for Humanity. I hope you are able to find a good rig. As others have said, you need to be a handy person to fix and change things on the road. If I can be of any help contact me at TheCooks2000@gmail.com and I will see what I can do.

Have a great time over here.