SWharton

Drill Water Pump for Potable Water

35 minutes ago, noteven said:

I use a rv pump. It’s second use is a spare for the camper which ensures I’ll never need it for that...

Logical!

Not pumping from a lake. Pumping from a 5 or 7 gallon bucket of potable water. There are many GPM options for many RV water pumps. The main problem with a bilge pump. It must be submerged in the bucket. My Reliance water cans have a narrow opening. I do use a Walmart bilge pump. Undisclosed use. I am on my second.  GPM is related to the price you pay.  https://www.amazon.com/ALL-NEW-SEAFLO-Diaphragm-Pump/dp/B07QLJ3WHP?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07QLJ3WHP

OK Tito DIY blog just posted a blog on this very subject: Tito 

He has a system that look pretty good to me, I was skeptical about using a drill pump but the one he shows emptied a 5 gal container in 2 minutes. The ones I've used in the past would not move that much as rapidly. Those 5 gal containers he shows are a very good deal right now, $5 each. I just ordered 4 with $8 shipping. The cubitainers on Amazon are more in the $10 each range so even with the shipping that is a good deal. I don't know if they are running a special, knowing about his blog, because their other smaller containers cost more than $5. So if you are interested I'd go and grab them right away.

That tube he stuck into the water tank at the end of the hose is from Camco $4, called a water tank filler.

Edited by agesilaus

I have not found a good solution.

I have used 200 feet of garden hose and a milk jug when the source was ABOVE the RV.  That works really well!!!

However, I have used a 12 volt "shower" pump, a submersible 12 volt pump, and a couple of other kludges.  The 12 volt shower pump worked best of all, but I did not have to pump more than 10 gallons at a time.  

I don't drink out of tanks. I did use the 12 volt shower pump to fill a "bag" water filter set-up.  

I suspect there is a pretty good market for a well-designed water pumping system for RV's.

With the number of options already on the market for pumping water into RV tanks from containers, including those that are built in to many newer RV's, I suspect there isn't much market for a system that will pump extended distances.

Look at the Marine market for pumps.  We had a requirement for a pump that could lift 15+ feet and pump 75' on a 3/4 hose.  It moved a good volume at that limit.  

Many 12v rv water pumps will pull 10' and flow 5-7gal per min.  Look up Jabsco water pumps.