Drill Water Pump for Potable Water

SWharton

35 minutes ago, noteven said:

I use a rv pump. It’s second use is a spare for the camper which ensures I’ll never need it for that...

Logical!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Not pumping from a lake. Pumping from a 5 or 7 gallon bucket of potable water. There are many GPM options for many RV water pumps. The main problem with a bilge pump. It must be submerged in the bucket. My Reliance water cans have a narrow opening. I do use a Walmart bilge pump. Undisclosed use. I am on my second.  GPM is related to the price you pay.  https://www.amazon.com/ALL-NEW-SEAFLO-Diaphragm-Pump/dp/B07QLJ3WHP?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07QLJ3WHP

OK Tito DIY blog just posted a blog on this very subject: Tito 

He has a system that look pretty good to me, I was skeptical about using a drill pump but the one he shows emptied a 5 gal container in 2 minutes. The ones I've used in the past would not move that much as rapidly. Those 5 gal containers he shows are a very good deal right now, $5 each. I just ordered 4 with $8 shipping. The cubitainers on Amazon are more in the $10 each range so even with the shipping that is a good deal. I don't know if they are running a special, knowing about his blog, because their other smaller containers cost more than $5. So if you are interested I'd go and grab them right away.

That tube he stuck into the water tank at the end of the hose is from Camco $4, called a water tank filler.

Edited by agesilaus

I have not found a good solution.

I have used 200 feet of garden hose and a milk jug when the source was ABOVE the RV.  That works really well!!!

However, I have used a 12 volt "shower" pump, a submersible 12 volt pump, and a couple of other kludges.  The 12 volt shower pump worked best of all, but I did not have to pump more than 10 gallons at a time.  

I don't drink out of tanks. I did use the 12 volt shower pump to fill a "bag" water filter set-up.  

I suspect there is a pretty good market for a well-designed water pumping system for RV's.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

With the number of options already on the market for pumping water into RV tanks from containers, including those that are built in to many newer RV's, I suspect there isn't much market for a system that will pump extended distances.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Look at the Marine market for pumps.  We had a requirement for a pump that could lift 15+ feet and pump 75' on a 3/4 hose.  It moved a good volume at that limit.  

Many 12v rv water pumps will pull 10' and flow 5-7gal per min.  Look up Jabsco water pumps.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 1 year later...

Curious, can anyone explain what the issue is with drill pumps and potable water?  Is it maybe that petroleum products could get in the water, like from lubrication in the drill?  Asking because we have one and were intending to use it for a short off the grid trip (but long enough to need a refill) to fill up our freshwater tank using a water carrier so we don't have to move the rig.  I'm thinking if we use the drill pump to fill the tank up for a few days, and don't drink/cook with the water that went through the pump (use it only for washing, and use extra bottled water instead for drinking/cooking), then once we go back to using city water at full hookup sites we should be fine, any traces of odd stuff should eventually be flushed out and we can keep using our tank for potable water after that.  But maybe there's some other reason I'm not thinking of that that's a bad idea to do that?  Just curious if people know what the real concern is and how serious it is.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, SWharton said:

This one is not for POTABLE water, that is a requirement.

This one is: https://www.amazon.com/TRENDBOX-Electric-Portable-Dispenser-Battery-Operated/dp/B014269XKA/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=battery+operated+water+pump&qid=1616961382&sr=8-8

Simply replace the spigot with a length of your choice of clear tubing.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, campey said:

Curious, can anyone explain what the issue is with drill pumps and potable water?  Is it maybe that petroleum products could get in the water, like from lubrication in the drill?  Asking because we have one and were intending to use it for a short off the grid trip (but long enough to need a refill) to fill up our freshwater tank using a water carrier so we don't have to move the rig.  I'm thinking if we use the drill pump to fill the tank up for a few days, and don't drink/cook with the water that went through the pump (use it only for washing, and use extra bottled water instead for drinking/cooking), then once we go back to using city water at full hookup sites we should be fine, any traces of odd stuff should eventually be flushed out and we can keep using our tank for potable water after that.  But maybe there's some other reason I'm not thinking of that that's a bad idea to do that?  Just curious if people know what the real concern is and how serious it is.

All I have seen are lubricated with a heavy grease to prevent the rotor from seizing.  Check this out: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Transfer-Connectors-Standard-removing/dp/B077C5NPWK/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=battery+operated+water+pump&qid=1616961382&sr=8-14

It states " to flush out water lines" that must refer to it being safe for drinking water too.

Edited by Ray,IN

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I have one like that, a different brand. It works surprising good. I haven't timed it but I'd guess it would do a 6 gallon bottle in 4 or 5 minutes. Uses AA batteries.

Use food based grease if needed. I’ve worked in the process industries most of my life, including municipal water treatment where they use huge pumps, and safe but industrial grade lubricant. The water does not arrive at the spigot by magic. There’s an old saying in water treatment, “dilution is the solution”.