Bill&Anneli

Florida Keys or mainland?

Hello,

We will be going to the Florida Keys in April and was wondering if there are recommendations for nice camp grounds ? We don't really enjoy the places with mostly permanent residents. We prefer places that are occupied by fulltime travelers. We have a 37 ft class A and are towing a jeep, so can fit in most parks, except the parks with the tightest length restrictions. We prefer full hoookups, 50 amp and nice level spots.

Also, looking for recommendations as to whether to stay in the keys or find a campground on the mainland ? 

Thanks much as always for your wisdom :-)

Staying in the keys saves a 4 hr drive to Key West. Key West has the best sunsets I've ever witnessed.   You would want to take the all-day trip to Ft. Jefferson national park too.  Here is a list of campgrounds in the keys. In April there is a better chance of finding a site.

Retired military may camp on the Navy base. It is the only RV camping at the island of Key West.(and Sigsbee island-owned by the Navy, which connects to KW.)

Tip; fill your fuel tanks before you leave the mainland, fuel is about $1 higher at Key West.

Edited by Ray,IN

Many years ago we stayed at Boyd's Campground in Key West.  Great location and good service at that time.  While it's a small island you really should spend a week there to get the full flavor of that end of the Keys.

There are only a few RV parks near Key West and they are expensive by my standards. Some are tight parking but you should be ok with what you stated. Key West is a first class city and I think it is one of the nicest places in the US. Go and have a great time!

Check out the dates of high/low season changeover. Can save you money by changing just one day if it's close. I sure wish we'd known to do that.

Linda Sand

I was stationed at NAS Key West in the early 70's. We lived in Woodson's Trailer park, looks like it is now Boyd's campground. Woodson's was kind of a dump but, we were just married and it was cheap. Base housing was full.

10 hours ago, somewhereinusa said:

I was stationed at NAS Key West in the early 70's. We lived in Woodson's Trailer park, looks like it is now Boyd's campground. Woodson's was kind of a dump but, we were just married and it was cheap. Base housing was full.

Sounds like Woodson's trailer park may disappear: https://thebluepaper.com/mobile-home-park-evictions-residents-file-suit-claiming-fraud-by-new-owners/

Apparently Boyd's is a different location.

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Apparently Boyd's is a different location.

All very strange. I went to the above link about Boyd's and it showed a map. I thought, "that looks like the location where we lived". Did a little more searching and found a listing for Woodson's in the exact same location on a map as Boyd's. The Boyd's website says they started in 1963 we lived there in 1969. Neither wife or I remember anything like a campground there. At that time there wasn't really much on the north side of Stock island. 

Side note: Wife spent the night that hurricane Camille was supposed to hit in that trailer, me in a tin shack on the runway at the air base.

History seems to have a way of not being quite right, or at least the way I remember it.  I found two websites that said according to ships log the USS Constellation CVA64 was in Vietnam in late 70 early 71. It was in drydock in Bremerton WA during the time in question. I walked under it. Connie didn't leave for Vietnam until three days after I was discharged in  August 1971.

Edited by somewhereinusa

Well, we know everything on the internet must be true_👎 Woodson's may be next to Boyd's @ (unnamed) 24.573 -81.735 it's very dense housing on Stock Island now.

Edited by Ray,IN

If you want to experience the florida keys, you have to stay in the keys. At least a one or 2 days near key west is recommended, the atmosphere, activities, water, can’t be beat. If you stay on the mainland (homestead) it would take you three hours of driving time to get to Key West. It is a 2 Lane Rd. and if there are any traffic accidents it may be much much longer. And three hours is not accounting for traffic, which is a given, especially in winter months (includes April).  We stayed in a place a couple of years ago with our class a “Boyds Key West Campground” we had to make reservations one year in advance for Christmas week, and even calling one year in advance we couldn’t get waterfront. If you are planning to go in two months, please call campgrounds as there are only a few that can accommodate our size and possibly have reservations. You don’t want to drive there and just take a chance you’ll find something, it’s just too popular. Please don’t let this discourage you from going , it’s a great place, but frustration can ruin a trip.