Anyone spend 6 months in a Class B?

brooksrimes

We fulltimed in a 37.5' class A from 2004 to 2008, sold it in 2009 and went back to a house.  We will keep the house (grandkids) but want to get back out on the road 6 months a year.  We are wondering if we could do it without a toad in a class B.  We will want to bring 2 bicycles.  Is a class B too small to spend 6 months in?  Is it too big a pain to continually connect/disconnect in a CG in order to go sightseeing and shopping?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, brooksrimes said:

Is a class B too small to spend 6 months in?  Is it too big a pain to continually connect/disconnect in a CG in order to go sightseeing and shopping?

That all depends on who is doing it. There is no way that Pam & I would be happy for long living that way, but we do travel with a 20' travel trailer that most consider too small and we have spent as much as 5 consecutive months in it. I'm not sure of your age but most of us begin to have some agility and flexibility issues as we get older that that makes van type vehicles more challenging. All that I can tell you is that some people do spend months or even fulltime in a class B but few continue to do so when they get older. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You can live in a RV of any size.... we've seen people do it.  It just depends on YOU.  You'll need to be resigned to the fact that you won't have storage space although if you're a minimalist that, too, is doable.  Lawn chairs?  Patio mat?  BBQ?  Special appliances?  Think of what you use now and what would be difficult to part with.  Carrying bikes?  Most of the time it won't solve problems getting to places for shopping or siteseeing.  You will also have small holding tanks and a small shower space perhaps necessitating using the campground shower.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We only lived four months in our first Class B but that's because Dave is tall so his hair moved when he walked under the A/C and the black tank was too small for us. Three years later I had a custom van made just for me in which to be a snowbird and I had huge tanks put in it. Six months in it was easy except for missing Dave too much so wanting to go home before the snow melted in Minnesota. And, yes, I had two lawn chairs, my electric scooter, a small vacuum cleaner, a food processor, and everything else I needed in it. You just have to decide what is important for you and make arrangement to include those things. Also, since I changed sites at least once every two weeks anyway, it was never a problem to run errands while moving. When boondocking on BLM land in Quartzsite I often drove into town for dinner. If I was buying a predesigned one now I might go for a Leisure Travel Unity because it has big tanks. I could not live in a RoadTrek with their tiny black tank even though I love their EcoTrek features.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for the post, Sandy.  Curious ... who made your custom van?  Was the scooter just for use in the CG?  We were at Quartzsite multiple times.  Always had a good time with the Boomers BOF on the BLM land.  From the posts here, I'm reaching the conclusion that a B probably won't work for us.

12 minutes ago, brooksrimes said:

Thanks for the post, Sandy.  Curious ... who made your custom van?  Was the scooter just for use in the CG?  We were at Quartzsite multiple times.  Always had a good time with the Boomers BOF on the BLM land.  From the posts here, I'm reaching the conclusion that a B probably won't work for us.

Sportsmobile did my conversion to my design. The plan is here although I did have to swap the bed with the desk because the wheel well under the desk was not a good plan: https://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2012/05/new-rv-floor-plan/  https://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2012/11/desk/ https://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2012/11/food-prep/

My scooter is a TravelScoot that I use everywhere too far for me to walk including from Walmart's back 40 parking and around campgrounds. https://www.travelscoot.com

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I live fulltime in a Class B as a solo and have done it for many years.  I workamp and usually spend most of my time outside.  I have decided not to have a toad since when I travel on my days off I like to spend the night somewhere and have my bed with me.   I prefer the simple life and being able to park anywhere without reservations.   I can fit in a tent site and also park at hospital parking lots

13 hours ago, brooksrimes said:

But, I'm sure some make it work.

There is probably someone who lives in nearly every size and type of RV manufactured. The question is not if it is possible to do but rather can I do so and enjoy life?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

There is probably someone who lives in nearly every size and type of RV manufactured. The question is not if it is possible to do but rather can I do so and enjoy life?

We saw a Class B one time at Rainbow Plantation with at least a half dozen storage bins stacked under a tree next to the van. I wondered if he enjoyed his lifestyle.

Linda Sand

In 2014, at Pensacola NAS we met a retired Navy woman full-timing in a CL B.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We used to do 6-8 months in our Sprinters. The thing with a B is, you live more outside, & travel more. Now if you get stuck, as we once did in Homer, waiting in the rain for 10 days on your mail....better REALLY like each other. Now we travel in a Travato only for 2-3 months before we have medical appointments.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

40 minutes ago, dewilso said:

The thing with a B is, you live more outside, & travel more.

We traveled a lot in our Sprinters (B & C) but we didn't live outside except when actual sightseeing. Inside we lived in our computers. :)

Linda Sand