Problem with my W-10 Program!

Pieere

My screen went bad on my old Gateway laptop with AMD A-4.! Have a Lenovo G585 With AMD E-1. I took the 1 TB HD and put it in the Lenovo laptop. It worked well for about three months. Yesterday morning I booted up and it came to the sign in screen which I signed in and clicked on. The screen went blank. I used Ctrl-Alt-Delete. After several tries I hard shut it down and rebooted Nothing. I tried to do a recovery but it wouldn't do anything when I clicked the recovery button. About a week ago it worked fine so I updated to W-10 1909 from the previous version 1903. I switched back my Linux Raefaela HD and the computer read it and did it's updates and working Fine! I read something on ZNet on my Android tablet about version 1909 having problems with the search bar and possibly Blue Screen Of Death. I Also read on google news about Microsoft being down Yesterday. Haven't seen an update on it this morning! Hope I haven't lost all my data on the 1 TB HD!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Did you make Backups of both file copies and an image?

I had my hard drive go tits up a few weeks ago in my old Dell 2720. It wasn't from an update, but the power cord getting in a bind and shorting on and off when I set it up and pulled the power plug mostly out and did not know it. Taking that big stand spring out seems a tough disassemble but I have an image of it from just a few weeks ago. I'm just going to pop in a new SSD instead of a hard drive like it had. Then I just restore the image to it. But I also have a recovery USB thumb drive for each system. Since I can boot into recovery mode it should be easy. I have a new 27" Dell touch screen system I just finished configuring which has an Intel gen 10 quad core chipset. So the other I'm just fixing to sell it. I bought all new Surface Pro 7, quad core Gen 10, quad i7, and a Surface Go with 8GB/128GB. The Gen 10 Intel chipsets are not vulnerable to Spectre and meltdown chip flaws. So my backups saved the data day. I hope you have some too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well mine turned out surprisingly easy. I guess it just wiped the boot section of the drive or the whole drive. It would not find the backup image made in the control panel win 7 backup restore. But that was booting from the USB restore drive. After finding no way to go and restore the image. I found I could however reset the whole thing with a clean Windows 10! It took a long while but I'll be damned if it didn't boot just fine! So once I had a working OS I tried to restore the image from 15 November, the last time I used it, until the night I got the power cord tangled so it flickered the power while booting on and off. So from there I finally could an image restore; it found the image on the external drive and I now have my old Dell running great.

Having the image allowed me to try several recovery steps, worry free, to find which got me to a point at which the image was visible to the system and could be restored. I thought I'd need to replace the hard drive with an extremely difficult disassembly, but it only took a half day to get the system back.

So now, since I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 27" 10th Gen Intel chipset with a 256GB SSD boot/Windows drive, and a 1TB hard/rust drive, I can now take my time getting all 200GB of ripped music, several hundred more GB of docs and pics transferred to the new Dell. They made a lot of hardware improvements in the 10th generation Intel processors both in fixing the hardware flaws, and to increase the speed and responsiveness. It's unbelievably faster than all the previous Gens of "i" series processors and chipsets I've owned.

The processor flaws that had to be patched in software to prevent data theft slowed the systems way down. 

Now they're gone, and the speed the new Gen 10 chipsets and processors/systems work at is amazing.

So simple in hindsight.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Had to give up on it! Seems the Hard drive on the 2011 Lenox that was upgraded to 10; from Windows 8 gave up the ghost! I installed my old drive with Linux Raphaela on it Is there any way I can Use the Windows 10 app.and my files off my 3 yr. old Tablet that been updated on to a new HD installed in the 2011 Lenovo laptop?

About a month ago my HP started doing really strange things. Got really slow, Open Office program wouldn't run as it did when installed. Deleted it, reloaded, still wouldn't run right. Tried all kinds of fixes, nothing worked.

Finally gave up and took it in to get it fixed. Computer store called my the next day and told my the problem was with the hard original mechanical hard drive. Wore itself out. They installed a new Solid State hard drive. And reinstalled windows 10. Man is this thing fast now. Now all I need is a larger processor.

3 hours ago, Pieere said:

Had to give up on it! Seems the Hard drive on the 2011 Lenox that was upgraded to 10; from Windows 8 gave up the ghost! I installed my old drive with Linux Raphaela on it Is there any way I can Use the Windows 10 app.and my files off my 3 yr. old Tablet that been updated on to a new HD installed in the 2011 Lenovo laptop?

Keep In mind I'm an amateur at anything  slightly complex. I think you will need to first transfer your laptop files to a USB drive, then from that USB drive onto your laptop.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray you're dead on. Pierre, you might want to pull the drive and see what it does in a USB external case or Drive dock. Those come in handy because I've had many drives declared dead by retail techs that were fine. Usually the processor or motherboard went out in those cases. Hell I thought mine was fried by my shorting and browning out the power supply and chipset. It only erased the data on the drive, no crashed heads. Before you trash the system pull the drive. If it's good all you need is an external USB case. They run about $10 for a good one on sale for a laptop 2.5" drive, and $30.00 for a decent drive dock that does both 2.5" & 3.5inch desktop drives. Then you can take it all directly off the original drive in the case.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 2/18/2020 at 4:23 AM, RV_ said:

Ray you're dead on. Pierre, you might want to pull the drive and see what it does in a USB external case or Drive dock. Those come in handy because I've had many drives declared dead by retail techs that were fine. Usually the processor or motherboard went out in those cases. Hell I thought mine was fried by my shorting and browning out the power supply and chipset. It only erased the data on the drive, no crashed heads. Before you trash the system pull the drive. If it's good all you need is an external USB case. They run about $10 for a good one on sale for a laptop 2.5" drive, and $30.00 for a decent drive dock that does both 2.5" & 3.5inch desktop drives. Then you can take it all directly off the original drive in the case.

Just don't understand why the old drive with Linux Raefalia works in the Lenovo computer!