Beds of new pickups are really tall

remoandiris

All the higher level trim, in stock, units I see have off-road and all terrain tires. I would prefer the quieter and better rain performing all season tires. Why does a 90k truck have snow plow package when it has a 5th wheel prep?

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

12 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

All the higher level trim, in stock, units I see have off-road and all terrain tires. I would prefer the quieter and better rain performing all season tires. Why does a 90k truck have snow plow package when it has a 5th wheel prep?

Perhaps you've answered your own question.  It takes a lot of "bling" to get the price that high.  Dealers make more on higher priced units.

I don't know specifics about the others, but Ford Platinum, and King Ranch, they're high level offerings, both come with the tires you and I prefer.

That said, the high price of the new trucks was a major factor in my going the HDT route. I don't have 90k in my hdt, new F-150 Lariat 4wd, and smart car, combined.  YMMV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

Many folks order the snow plow package to get the highest rated front springs and a higher output alternator. They never intend to mount a plow.

There are a lot of twists and turns available when special ordering a truck, and some folks put a ton of time and effort into getting theirs "just so". 

And you really have to work hard to get the invoice on a truck up to $90K, let alone pay that much.  I special ordered my 2019 F-350 2WD Diesel which is nicely trimmed out but not top of the line. Sticker was $58K and  I paid a few thousand less than that. 

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Well for most your statement is true. You are limited on rear axle capistity with ldt. Some of us with high end units need a 5500 or equivalent. They come with no bed. By time you add a hauler bed price goes way up. Reason I have a HDT.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 2/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, Hill_Country said:

I changed the rear axle blocks on my '17 F350 to those from an F250.  That lowered the rear end to roughly level (unloaded).  That 1.5 inch change allowed me to raise my AUH to the highest setting - giving me 7+ inches of bed rail clearance - without increasing the overall height of the fiver.  I don't know if other brands can be lowered as simply.  

Did you also reset the height of your headlights to avoid blinding oncoming drivers?

Edited by Lou Schneider

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Many folks order the snow plow package to get the highest rated front springs and a higher output alternator. They never intend to mount a plow.

There are a lot of twists and turns available when special ordering a truck, and some folks put a ton of time and effort into getting theirs "just so". 

And you really have to work hard to get the invoice on a truck up to $90K, let alone pay that much.  I special ordered my 2019 F-350 2WD Diesel which is nicely trimmed out but not top of the line. Sticker was $58K and  I paid a few thousand less than that. 

While looking at in stock trucks I found a "Limited" trim level, Ford's highest level, they do approach 90k.You can spec  dual high output alternators separately. The order guide says do not order unless you plan to put something very heavy on the front like a snowplow. My point being somebody who is going to buy a Limited dually with a 5th wheel package is not going to mount a snowplow on front. But If they buy this truck they will get a stiffer ride than needed.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

7 hours ago, ARGO said:

My 4WD 2014 was much higher than my 2WD 1994, and sat high in the rear. Dropped shackles in the rear made it sit level for minimal bucks & an hour labor. 

One thing most folks don't realize is the there is very little difference between a srw F-250 v. 350.  I had a couple of trucks built by a body shop that was certified as a re-builder.  On my 2001 Lariat and 2006 King Ranch, the only difference was one overload leaf in the rear, and the spacer between the axle and spring pack was 3/4" taller on the 350.  That's it.  Same axles, brakes, etc.  So, I had them put the shorter spacer in, dropping the bed so it was easier to get into the toolbox.

Sooo, if you have a F-350, it might be something to look into.....

BTW, my 2015 F-150 sits 1/2" higher at the tailgate than my 2006 F-350 KR because the bed is about 3" deeper.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 3/23/2020 at 4:03 PM, rickeieio said:

Can you give us an example of a truck that's only available in 4wd?  Other than some special edition, I believe all are offered in 2wd.  And the off road packages are optional, extra cost too.

4x4 is 99% i=of what the dealers are ordering for stock,  You have to order a 2 wheel drive.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

One thing most folks don't realize is the there is very little difference between a srw F-250 v. 350.  I had a couple of trucks built by a body shop that was certified as a re-builder.  On my 2001 Lariat and 2006 King Ranch, the only difference was one overload leaf in the rear, and the spacer between the axle and spring pack was 3/4" taller on the 350.  That's it.  Same axles, brakes, etc.  So, I had them put the shorter spacer in, dropping the bed so it was easier to get into the toolbox.

Things change.  The current Ford Superduty trucks (since at least 2017) use heavier rear axle assembly in the F-350. The diesel SRW F-350 uses the Dana M275, while the standard F-250's use the Sterling.  The gas F-250 uses a lighter transmission than the gas F-350.   If you get the heavy duty tow package and the diesel in the F-250 you are getting close to the equivalent F-350, but there are differences in the spring pack and the diesel F-250 has a very low carrying capacity on the rear axle. .  

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

4x4 is 99% i=of what the dealers are ordering for stock,  You have to order a 2 wheel drive.

Ken

I assume you're only referring to 250, 2500 and above.  Most 150,1500 pickups are still 2 wd.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Ken

56 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I assume you're only referring to 250, 2500 and above.  Most 150,1500 pickups are still 2 wd.

It's a little tough to pin down, and undoubtedly varies by region. But a 2014 Car and Driver article gave the breakdown on full-sized pickups at 73% 4WD vs. 27% 2WD.  And for mid-sized pickups, it was 56%/44%.   A lot of trucks are purchased by businesses as service and/or delivery vehicles, and they are not going to pay the extra up-front and operating cost for 4WD trucks unless they need it.  I suspect that personal use trucks could trend a bit more toward 4WD, at least in "farm country".

I did a quick inventory search of my local Ford dealer. This is VERY much cowboy country so 4WD is popular.  All 24 Superduty trucks  (F-250 & F-350) currently on their lot are 4WD.  No wonder I had to order my 2WD!

However, of the 56 F-150 trucks in stock,  27 are 4WD with the remaining 29 in 2WD.  So folks that are buying F-150's, often as their commuter vehicle in this part of the world, aren't necessarily wanting 4WD.   

This dealership moves a ton of trucks, and they know what sells for them. No doubt the distribution in other parts of the country are different. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

Yeah, I think location matters.  I was looking at Houston dealers and most of their "1/2 ton" trucks are 2 wd.  I also think Ford leans more toward 4 wd than Chevy just by my dealer search.  A quick search of Capitol Chevy in Austin shows 265 Silverado 1500's and 200 of them are 2 wd with 65 4 wd.

I've owned about 20 pickups in my life, including Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Datsun, and Toyota.  Only one was 4 wd and I bought it because it was the only thing they had in Colorado.  The only time I ever put it in 4 wd was to test it.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

On 3/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, TXiceman said:

It is not just the beds being higher.  These newer trucks are all 4 wheel drive and have off road packages which makes the whole truck higher.

I do not need or want a 4 wheel drive and want a lower height truck.

Ken

This is why I ordered a 4x2. $3000 less then a 4x4, less maintenance, more GVWR and more then likely slightly better millage, all because 4x2s are not caring around that transfer case, front axle and cv shafts. Has to be at least 350 lighter.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3