Motorhome vs. 5th wheel

MarkB

We always had motorhomes for fulltiming but another reason to have a 5th wheel is if you have small kids/grandkids who need a secure seatbelt situation which is harder to find in a motorhome.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 minutes ago, sandsys said:

We always had motorhomes for fulltiming but another reason to have a 5th wheel is if you have small kids/grandkids who need a secure seatbelt situation which is harder to find in a motorhome.

Linda Sand

Really? Our class A had   6 belts in addition to the driver & passenger seats. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Really? Our class A had   6 belts in addition to the driver & passenger seats. 

Yes, but how many of them had a seat belt anchor for a car seat? My van had five seatbelts but none safe for a small child.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Linda, most big trucks won't have speciality designed anchors for child seats, so they have to have adaptation made, just like you would in a motorhome.  Not a big deal, certainly not enough to rule out one or the other.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

most big trucks won't have speciality designed anchors for child seats,

I've not see those in an HDT, but my LDT (won-ton dually) has them built in.  Last fall I traveled a lot of miles with a car seat/infant in the back.  I've not heard of these ancors in a motorhome but I am a babe in the woods concerning modern RVs/Campers.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Linda, most big trucks won't have speciality designed anchors for child seats, so they have to have adaptation made, just like you would in a motorhome.  Not a big deal, certainly not enough to rule out one or the other.   

Obviously I have no experience with this but I'm under the impression it is easier to put anchors into a truck than a motorhome because the body of the truck is more solid. Plus, I see a lot of HDT people talk about replacements for back seats that make me think putting anchors there would be more accessible as well. I know those of us our age never rode in a child seat nor did our kids ride in anything tethered to the floor but they are required today so it's just one more thing to be considered when deciding what to buy. I see my job here as helping people think about things they might otherwise miss. I try not to tell anyone what they MUST do--just help them think about things as they make their choices.

Linda

Our seatbelts for the couch are tethered to the floor (metal) of the slide, and slide  can not be moved out while engine is on.  If we are in a crash bad enough to tear those out, then none of us has survived.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Our seatbelts for the couch are tethered to the floor (metal) of the slide, and slide  can not be moved out while engine is on.  If we are in a crash bad enough to tear those out, then none of us has survived.  

Yes but, does that couch face forward? And does it have a tether for a child seat? If not, can you access the back of the couch to install a tether for a child seat? My van's couch had three seatbelts but it faced sideways and there was no way to tether a child seat let alone an infant seat that is required to face backwards on a forward facing seat.

Linda

7 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Folks use the front passenger seat in a motorhome to face the child to the rear.

It's my understanding that using the front passenger seat is not legal, either. The infant seat is supposed to be in a back seat. I think the best I've ever seen in a motorhome was a Class C that had a tether on the aisle side of the front facing bench of a dinette. There was only that one safe seat, though, so having a second child needing a seat would still be a problem. The other best solution I have seen is the family who had a van with tethered seats for all the young ones that Mom drove while Dad drove the motorhome.

Linda Sand

Edited by sandsys

On 2/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, Barbaraok said:

Exactly. The trucks that tow are caged cabins with crumple zones engineered to protect the precious cargo. I'm sure some of you were here on the forums when someone said they liked a motorhome over a truck towing because then their grandkids could play on the floor, not to mention having lunch on the stove, and using the toilet or napping while underway! When I showed them the insides of motorhomes after a crash where everything collapsed, ripped out, and even the built in microwaves and cabinets and contents were ripped off the walls. His answer? Well we don't expect to get in a wreck. My response? Oh then you must be willing to drop your collision insurance. The silence, and denial were deafening.

The nice thing about today's 1ton trucks is they have big backseats, and ride and drive like a large SUV or car.

In a motorhome it does not take a rollover or major crash. Just a sudden stop will project any adult or Child in the middle of the floor, unsecured, through the air to hit the windshield or after flying 10-20 feet, to land on something solid. 

I'd rather my passengers be in the truck back seat buckled in, and with a high likelihood, as long as they're belted in, of surviving any crash. Even if the truck outside looks like that.

The same interior damage happens in a fifth wheel, but we aren't in the trailers.

yLC9x2kl.jpg

We're all adults here, and I take bigger risks when diving or skiing down a black Slope. But my family and grand kids aren't along for the ride. I have no problems what informed adults choose to do. 

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire