Batteries

Av8r3400

Ours were put in around 2012 or 2013, and have been faithfully neglected.  I check the electrolyte level at least bi-annually, and start the truck several times per year.  Seriously, I try to run the truck about once per month when not traveling, and when I run it, leave it run for at least 1/2 hour, or preferably, drive it 20 miles or so. I've gotten similar service from our other (work) truck, with similar levels of neglect.  Maybe we're just lucky......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I changed mine in 2019 after being in the truck for 11 years.  Keep them on a Progressive Dynamics 9240C charger when not on the road.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

It's been my experience that any battery over 7 years old can up and die on you without warning. I've had them last only 4 years and up to 10. On tractor we have has batteries that are 13 years old. 

I maintain 9 trucks. 6 semi and 3 mid size. Numerous farm tractors and other heavy equipment. I have used Napa batteries and interstate. Both last about the same. Lately I've been using Paccar batteries from Kenworth or Peterbilt. Been having good luck with them. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Always have a Battery Minder on when not driving. If power is avail, only when dry camping no power. 

Annual level and terminal cleaning

Batteries last about 7-8 yrs for me  

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I added a 65 watt solar panel to my bank of 4 sealed batteries.  Clean terminals and top of batteries plus I use dielectric grease at terminals.  Batteries are only 2 years old hoping for another 6 years.  Big difference on starting the truck with solar, key on and fire up.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Fun Fact

"Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection."

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

The grease is rubbed out of the way on a connection. Unless the plug is badly worn. If so don't use it. Quote "Internet forums thrive on myths. Forums often claim dielectric grease thermally insulates connections. Forums also claim dielectric grease electrically insulates connections, such as in connectors and on battery posts. Neither is true."  From; https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

Welllll, since we've started drifting off course,  I'll ask what kind of grease is often put in connections from the factory?  Specifically, I've seen components such as ignition modules or ECMs with a gob of grease already in place when I take them out of the box.  I always thought is was white lithium, but perhaps that's incorrect?  Some old timers recommend smearing connections with Vaseline.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

52 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Welllll, since we've started drifting off course,  I'll ask what kind of grease is often put in connections from the factory?  Specifically, I've seen components such as ignition modules or ECMs with a gob of grease already in place when I take them out of the box.  I always thought is was white lithium, but perhaps that's incorrect?  Some old timers recommend smearing connections with Vaseline.

Dielectric. Plain and simple. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Sehc said:

The grease is rubbed out of the way on a connection. Unless the plug is badly worn. If so don't use it. Quote 

At least that part is true .

Exactly why I always recommend connections be shiny clean and scratch tight . That way it doesn't matter which grease is used . :) 

By definition :

di·e·lec·tric

/ˌdīəˈlektrik/
PHYSICS
adjective
  1. having the property of transmitting electric force without conduction; INSULATING .
noun
  1. a medium or substance that transmits electric force without conduction; an INSULATOR .
Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

Okay Scrap, since you've stopped bye, what's your preference, silicone based, Vaseline, white lithium, or other?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Nyogel 760G!  Honestly it has been around us forever and it is one of those things nobody has messed with so I've never really been around much else for 20 years.  So it's all I know....

White lithium lubes hood pricks and any trucker with Vaseline, well, I don't ask...... 😨😱😏