roadside assistance

razorbackmark

I called escapees to inquire about their roadside assistance program.  I currently have AAA which is about to be up for renewal and wanted to change to escapees.  My question was about what vehicles were covered, with AAA any vehicle my wife or myself is in is covered and wanted to make sure that stayed the same.  I have a 5th wheel trailer and a ford F350 dually as a tow vehicle.  I was told the F350 would not be covered I would have to buy a separate policy for it.  on the web page describing the coverage it states a heavy duty truck would be covered if it did not have sleeping quarters in it.  why would a heavy duty truck be covered and a light duty truck not is what has me confused.  the reason they gave me is it was a dually.

I considered this myself, and still am.  I am not a fulltimer and also have AAA.  I know they provide great service but they are regional(southwest coverage mostly) and also not suited to RVs.  When I looked at the best options for me, being in Cali, I decided to get AAA for now knowing that it will likely not be the best option for the RV(I have an IH 4700LP MDT and a 5er).  When I do some longterming, I will get a CoachNet policy for the RV.  They are better suited to RVing and are not regional.

Just my opinion from my own research and based on my personal circumstances.

Marcel

What ever you get make sure it is keyed for rv coverage. And get it sooner than later making sure you know your coverage before you ever need it and I hope you never need it. There is a good chance it won;t go as smoothly as they advertise but stay calm and it can be totally invaluable if you really need it.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:49 AM, razorbackmark said:

I called escapees to inquire about their roadside assistance program.  I currently have AAA which is about to be up for renewal and wanted to change to escapees.  My question was about what vehicles were covered, with AAA any vehicle my wife or myself is in is covered and wanted to make sure that stayed the same.  I have a 5th wheel trailer and a ford F350 dually as a tow vehicle.  I was told the F350 would not be covered I would have to buy a separate policy for it.  on the web page describing the coverage it states a heavy duty truck would be covered if it did not have sleeping quarters in it.  why would a heavy duty truck be covered and a light duty truck not is what has me confused.  the reason they gave me is it was a dually.

Instead of offering my opinion (or what I have) - Try this for a recommendation:

Go on the HDT forum (the majority *DO* have sleepers).  They are either tandem (two sets of "duallys", or singled = a dually just like your F350.  They tow heavy 5th wheels.

There are plenty of folks who have used their ERS - as well as those who have done extensive research.

Asking is.....free...😉

Howdy!

I wanted to use Escapees roadside services when it came out but got the same reply and it seems to continue. So I keep renewing with Coach Net. CN covers every vehicle and trailer I drive or tow. Blew the turbo on our truck in Alaska. CN sent two tow vehicles. One for the truck one for the 5er. Only question asked was where we wanted them to tow them to. CN may cost more but I have always received great service which I paid for.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

10 hours ago, chiefneon said:

CN covers every vehicle and trailer I drive or tow. Blew the turbo on our truck in Alaska. CN sent two tow vehicles.

But have you checked to see if they will cover the truck when you drive it without the fifth wheel? We have friends who were leaving Nashville heading for Crossville, TN with their Ford F450 when the fuel system failed. Coachnet did not cover the truck because it wasn't towing the trailer. That seems to have become the standard answer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Been a while since signing up with Coachnet but they stated all vechiles and trailer included. 

If I were you I would verify that as our friends thought the same thing. The incident was just under 1 year ago. 

10 hours ago, Kirk W said:

But have you checked to see if they will cover the truck when you drive it without the fifth wheel? We have friends who were leaving Nashville heading for Crossville, TN with their Ford F450 when the fuel system failed. Coachnet did not cover the truck because it wasn't towing the trailer. That seems to have become the standard answer. 

Howdy!

Kirk, CN has answered the call for service each and every time I have requested it. Once on the Smart Car when we had a tire failure (Smart Cars don’t have spare tires). CN sent out a tow truck and carried the Smart Car the a tire dealership of our request. Once in Newfoundland our MDT 4400 International failed to start. CN sent out a tow truck with trailer. The only question was where we wanted them to take it. Our 5er RV was not involved in either one of the request involving CN service. We do have the Premium (use to be call the Platinum Plus plan). Their website states “Coverage includes Member, spouse and dependent children ages 24 and under, and all other personal vehicles owned, rented, borrowed or leased“.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

28 minutes ago, chiefneon said:

We do have the Premium (use to be call the Platinum Plus plan)

That is the key. Their standard plan (less costly) does not cover when you are not towing the RV, as our friends discovered. I had CN for a long time also and had excellent service from them, but we were in a motorhome and never did have occasion to need the towed vehicle helped by them. 

They don't advertise it, but Coach Net has a $99 plan that only covers the motorhome, not trailers or towd"s  My toad has its own towing insurance so not a big deal for me. You have to call them to get it.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had both AAA and Good Sam roadside assistance at the same time. I know it’s redundant and expensive. I am at the renewal time and will reduce my AAA to basic plan. Good Sam will cover all vehicles solo or towing. They also will tow both a truck and trailer or motorhome and towed vehicle depending on what’s disabled. They cover all types of trailers. To be sure, read their brochure online. Years ago, I had a flat tire on the fifth wheel, then pulled over to the shoulder of the freeway. I called AAA first, the guy came out and said that he couldn’t change the tire (I provided the weight of the RV, etc). and he left. I called Good Sam and they sent Les Schwab who came out equipped for tire repair and changes for big rigs. He had it done in about 15 minutes. i think the fella from AAA was fearful of changing the tire on the freeway shoulder, but will never know why. I was sold at that point. CoachNet is also good. I’ve only kept AAA for our passenger cars at home (they’re quick to respond) and for map/travel services, DMV, etc. 

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T

FWIW, The roadside assistance program through SafeRide offered by FMCA has risen effective Feb 1 2020:

Never worry about RV travel again - just $129 for towable RVs and $159 for motorized RVs!"

Hope the same thing doesn't happen to Escapees.

I've already returned to Good Sam ERS.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 month later...

I followed up more on escapees roadside assistance and they tell me now that my F350 is covered and supposedly made note of it in my file.  I now am on the escapees plan so I hope it works out.  I found another thread about this same thing and a Georgian from escapees chimed in several times to others that made it clear that my truck would be covered. seems the only restriction is if your truck has a sleeper in it.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:42 PM, jcussen said:

They don't advertise it, but Coach Net has a $99 plan that only covers the motorhome, not trailers or towd"s  My toad has its own towing insurance so not a big deal for me. You have to call them to get it.

I called Coach Net and was advised that this plan is only available to existing customers. They did tell me, however, that after the first year at $249 you can renew for $169 per year. I was with FMCA at $74, just after it was raised from $69, but did not renew at $159. Afraid Escapees May go up too. I have RA with Geico and with my extended warranty but may go with Coach Net to cover my Class A. Still deciding. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, razorbackmark said:

I now am on the escapees plan so I hope it works out. 

I have now been with them for a year and am just about to renew for next year. I have not needed to use them and with any luck, i will never learn how the service is when you need it. 

3 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I called Coach Net and was advised that this plan is only available to existing customers. They did tell me, however, that after the first year at $249 you can renew for $169 per year. I was with FMCA at $74, just after it was raised from $69, but did not renew at $159. Afraid Escapees May go up too. I have RA with Geico and with my extended warranty but may go with Coach Net to cover my Class A. Still deciding. 

Maybe they have changed, but do have a friend that went from FMCA to Coachnet and got the $99 plan. Did you specify for your coach only? Their normal plans cover all your cars and towds. The $99 plan is, or was, for coach only.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.