Newbie Needing Tips...thanks!

Campfor4

Hello all! Family just bought a 35' bumper pull that I am pulling with a 1 ton GMC.  It is wired for 50amp but only has 1AC right now.  I bought a 4000 watt Champion inverter type generator thinking that will be plenty to run what I need to run when boondocking without that second AC unit.  Am I wrong?  Also, any tips on easy to access spots?  I should mention that I live in NW Phoenix and typical trips will be 5 days with drive time.  I just dont want to be the guy that bought a trailer and it sits in storage all year long and only gets used twice.  Our goal is 6+ per year to use it including building up to a cross country trip. Thank you all very much!

The generator should be able to run the AC along with lights, water pump and maybe a TV but not much more.  The refrigerator and water heater will likely need to be on propane and it may be necessary to shut off the AC to run things like the microwave.  1 AC will likely struggle to cool the RV in the desert heat during the summer but if you go up in elevation it may meet your needs. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

5 days with drive time  from Phoenix for cool?  Anywhere from Payson to Springerville.... with Springerville being the coolest. Lots of national forest campgrounds along the whole route

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Going on right now for a few more days is one VERY large RV (and RV stuff) show right down the highway to the West in Quartzsite, AZ.

One can "pure" boondock on BLM land in some areas for free or one can boondock with water and dump station available for the cost of about $80  for a couple of weeks in the La Posa BLM Long Term Visitor areas just South of town on the highway that runs down to Yuma.

Expect to see more RVers in boondocking configuration than probably anywhere else in the world.

Dave and Joyce Jeffries

Dodge 2500 and a 34' Copper Canyon 5er