Building a muzzleloader rifle

Wrknrvr

Old time age thing happening lately. Like in double posting.

Now some time ago I found a few #2 x 1/2”  slotted wood screws. They did not have Phillip screws until after 1900.

I used acid to remove the galvanizing. Treated them to rust. Put them in a special place. Well it has been a month and still could not find them. I am getting to collect all the parts to assemble this rifle. So was in a fishing tackle box that has some shooting stuff in it. Was looking for a 12 gauge brush to run down the inside of the scope. I pulled out a crinkled up paper towel and something small fell out. 

Apparently I found the little plastic dish with the screws in about two months ago and put them in the paper towel. 

Will get pictures of scope in a later.      Vern

I am trying to find where I could try out distance shooting in western Montana.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may have failed plating class. I tried, I tried and tried.  I failed utubing it also.

Now my first subject to plate was a round spark plug gauge that has those loops on it  for gauging the plug gap. It did not take long and it looked nice.

My scope on the other hand has been fuzzy with copper. But you could wipe it off. That was from having it in the liquid for a hour and have the charger on it. So finally tried brush plating. It started looking good. Then I had to do something else. Came back and now doing the same thing and copper seams to come off.

If I calm down about it I may let the tube weather some as is. I do have another tube if needed.

I sent Darryl a copy of my brush plating as it was on my phone and I could not post of the forum.

Happy Father’s Day,       Vern

Hey, Vern. Just looked at it. The only thing I can think if, and it might just be a trick of the light, but the only electroplating I've ever seen had the solution a lot "greener". Maybe your solution is weak? What's the surface of the base metal look like? Too smooth, the plating metal has nothing to bite to, too rough and it takes longer to get a smooth copper base.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I might need to get some tree root treatment for septic systems. It has the crystals I should use. Frustrating when you try something that just does not work. It is right in front you and it just plays with your mind.

This is sorta what I went through with coloring gelcoat with artists oil paint. That is for matching the color for repairing gelcoat. Once I figured it out it works good.

I may try and leave it rust just a touch then oil it. It has some copper on it. I thought about using copper tubing but it would bend easy.

Maybe work on the bullet mold next.

Thanks for the shooting range list. They probably would not want me there with a muzzleloader. There is a muzzleloader club in the valley. I will contact them after the gun is together. I do know a ranch that may have an open area. I have thought about shooting along a river on that ranch. Just need to go visit them first. 

The fish wildlife and parks closed a shooting range under some power lines that would have had the distance..

I sure hope I can make this thing shoot good. After all this stuff.

Vern

Progress on the scope tube has finished. I cannot remember how I got it to this point. There was some irritating moments till I got this result.

3SiN6LWl.jpg

The one one on the left is how it started. 

Working on staining and putting a finish on the stock is in the progress

safe Travels,    Vern

So I keep looking at when in human history things were invented.  Today’s thoughts are towards wing nuts. I want to use two wing nuts for tightening the scope in a elevated position.

Wing nuts were not invented till 1933. At least that is when they were patented.

So now back to thinking.

I looked up what glue to use for the gun. Hide glue. No I am not going to make my own. But you can use dog chews to make it.

Vern 

• 4 weeks later...

40 and 1/2 years and the stock has been stained.

IiFhKk1l.jpg

The stock is curly maple and has been stained with boiled down coffee as the stain. I am trying to do this build the way it could have been done back then.

I have read about using vegetable oil for the finish. No I am not going to finish it with veggie oil. But I did stain a piece of pine wood and will test veggie oil finish on it. Apparently they did finish furniture that way back then.

Now on the subject about distance shooting?   So far this subject has sorta eluded me. One rancher I know does not own property that I would feel safe about shooting there. So the other week we were driving along the Clark Fork River.   There are some tall cliffs along the road. Although the cliffs are across the river.

I have thought about asking the reservation near us if there any place I could use. But the reservation is even closed to al recreation for the time being unless you are a member.

Also thought about shooting from one mountain to another. There are some steep mountains north of us that could work.

As I still have some finishing things to do I have mor thinking to do on that subject.

Second coat of Tounge oil.  Hanging out to dry.

9d6FlHsl.jpg

I have almost all parts made and finished ready to assemble. I have been watching eBay for a period lock for this build. There was one on eBay but it was too small. As I have already cut the inlay for a modern one.

Vern

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I finally have the lock and trigger assembly able to fit in the stock.zoDBJg3l.jpg

The lock is not by my hands.  The triggers are going to be modified for this rifle. I have had both the lock and triggers in the stock and the trigger does operate the lock. The trigger mechanism is a set trigger. For much lighter trigger pull. 

I have started building my own lock. But wanted to try the rifle at a range. I will finish my own lock later.

So I am having trouble finding where to shoot the rifle at more than  100 or so yards. I will keep looking and asking.

There is still some work to do on the bullet mold I want to use. I have also been researching using paper patched bullets.

I do still have my best long rifle with us. So I may take it out some day to shoot also.

Lots of stuff to keep busy this summer,   Vern

rweHAZsl.jpg  It is now assembly time. I have all but the trigger guard made.

So this has been a reeeeal long process. But interesting to make the small parts by hand with only hand tool and working on the back of my truck. I did buy the barrel and the lock. I started building my own lock But wanted to shoot this rifle. I will finish my own lock later in the year.

I did cheat with a Dremel tool and a 4” grinder. Also a battery operated drill.

Back 4o years ago I did hand forge a pistol barrel. In my well drill business 20 years ago I did hand forge 6” and 8” drilling bits.

Since my working days have al but disappeared  now I can do stuff I have thought about for many years.

Now testing different bullets of shape and weight I think will be fun. Also possible  trying paper patched bullets. Never used those before.

I am now searching for long range shooting areas on google maps. On the west side of Glacier N P. So there are some possibilities there. I want to call the Fish Wildlife and Parks department to see if I could shoot across a river so I could gain distance.

Will keep updating,    Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

Well I did something bad this am. I clicked on the photo posting process that Jack put on the HDT section. Pushed something wrong and now it will not recognize my photos. But I can take a picture.

rweHAZsl.jpg

dAv13sgl.jpg

This stock is not the one I built.  A friend of mine that has some old guns but not really into them gave me this stock. Back about 1970 he had purchased an original target rifle that was flintlock built in Allentown Pa. it should be dated about 1820 or so. he did not like the way the stock looked so he had someone restock the rifle into its original shape. It was a long rifle.

This stock was cut off to be a half stock. I guess to modernize back then?  I should be able to find the makers name as he did say who built it. Also back in the 1800s guns could be dated and location obtained by there shape as different gun makers tended to have there own style of gun stock carvings.

I do have a barrel that would fit this stock.

Some thinking to do for the winter hibernation in Montana.

Vern 

Edited by Wrknrvr
Missed photo

Other side of stock

rN8hxgZl.jpg

Notice imperfections on side. But original condition.

i need to fix my bad picture problem. Now I cannot get old pictures to be recognized on the photo posting site.

I really need help on that stupid move,    Vern 

So this is the rifle assembled.

AmtS8fil.jpg

The white line in the far background is about 1000 yards away.

Yep I agree that shooting that far seams really just about impossible. But there are a few people in the world that can shoot that far with a muzzleloader.

i must be full of ——————-?

Vern

Well one thing about 1000 yard black powder shooting, the cloud of smoke should drift off so you can see yer puff of dust from your bullet...

Oh and watch that power line 🤣

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Today I called the local National Forest office with where to shoot. Got a email from them but will read that tonight. Busy doing other stuff today.

I did setup a portable table and support system for the rifle. Also gathering stuff to take along such as soapy water, clean water bullet lube and assorted stuff for shooting a black powder rifle.  I may get out this week if all my other playtime adventures get finished.

Now Darryl you may want to find a day or two on your way south to stop. That is if I am not too embarrassed about my shooting.

If you do not see me post on this subject again, that is a signal that things didn’t work out very good.

Vern

Waiting to see what the border closure does. Might be on the cold side of the Medicine Line.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Well now today it went bang.  Just a test of 5 lightweight bullets for aligning the scope.

Yep it is offfff to the left. But I expected it be off somewhere. Only about 50 yards distance.  So now I am thinking how could there be a simple adjustment devise be made on the rear of the scope.  Maybe just file the saddle the scope sits in one way or the other. I did not install the iron sites yet but it may happen in the next few days.

6xxxREEl.jpg

Next time I will raise the powder charge as today it only had about 30 grains of black powder.

Also my portable test bench needs improvements also. Should measure powder charges before going to the range and have lubed bullets ready..

need to take cleaning supplies to clean the barrel often. After 5 shots it was getting tight in the barrel to push the bullets down onto the powder charge.

Edited by Wrknrvr