IH 4700 owners, current & former

rpsinc

I have a 2001 4700LP with DT530.  It has been progressively harder to start it.  Seems to me to be the fuel system bleeding down.  I am not sure what to do to prevent it other than starting it every week, and I really dont want to do that.  Is there something else I can try?  I keep covers on tires and solar panel on batteries.  Life is making it impossible to use regularly but I dont want it to deteriorate more than it has to.  Have a potential time frame to get it out but need to solve this issue.

Any input from experienced usesrs/owners??

Marcel

Description of issues? Does it spin over at the same speed? Does starter speed change during cranking? When was the last time the oil was changed? Oil level checked? 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Starter seems to be a bit lazy but I think it may have to do with 5+YO batteries, but have tried starting it with charger on 50A.

Not sure but thinking that starter not spinning engine fast enough which is why the charger on 50A.

Oil changed 2000 miles ago and level is good.

Marcel

You definitely need full cranking speed to fire. It should spin over at 150 RPM, minimum. Get that corrected, first. 

ETA: With a 50 amp boost helping the batteries, it's time to look at the wires and connections, as well as the batteries. 

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Had time today to do some troubleshooting and discovered batteries were 7+ years old.  So replacing them now.  Will also check fuel filter for fuel inside.  Did not have a wrench large enough for the one on the DT530.  So picked one up with new batteries.

Marcel

Your advice was spot on.  Changed the batteries and voila!!  It started in just a few seconds.  Guess I dont have a fuel delivery problem.  Now to schedule a trip.  Havent been out since National HDT Rally of 2018.  This working thing is getting old.

Marcel