any new updates on Wifi????

I have read through previous forums and discussions. I have talked with RV stores, listened to YOUTUBE videos and have come to the following conclusions. I would appreciate comments on the following:

1. WiFi extenders are one-time purchases and by definition extend and are thus dependent upon the Wifi service at the RV resort. This option, it seems to me, relies on how good the Wifi network is where I am and as a result also shares the bandwidth of the resort.
  2. Ultimately it seems that "Hotspots" provided by Verizon, At&T, etc. are the primary and least expensive option and are fundamentally dependent upon the cellular signal and the data plan you subscribe to.

Maybe I have boiled this down to a too simplistic conclusion.

I am happy to be educated especially by someone that has been on the road longer than we have. We started being full-time at the end of September.

Thanks. I am happy to receive/send emails or better yet, it is more fun (and perhaps old school) to actually call and talk on the phone. Thus my number is 603-393-2431.

What you haven't mentioned is that higher quality wifi extenders can have additional features. For example, I connect my Verizon and AT&T hotspots to my wifi extender router via tethers and then use both of them in Load Balancing mode which enables the router to select the faster connection on a moment by moment basis. This provides significantly better performance than either connection can provide on its own. 

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

You have it right. The more tools you have in your arsenal the better. I have a Ranger and hot spot. So between the two we are always connected.

The only new thing that might be coming is Starlink.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, David Svennigsen said:

Your conclusions are right. Now the new update is LiFi which is based on lights. you can get the signals in front of lights. It's better that wifi signals.

I assume that your post is an attempt at satire.  WiFi signals travel at the speed of light so there wouldn't be anything necessarily gained by using light instead of radio waves.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

I assume that your post is an attempt at satire.  WiFi signals travel at the speed of light so there wouldn't be anything necessarily gained by using light instead of radio waves.

Nope, it just hasn't been rolled out yet. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DGkXyEgHRAcY&ved=2ahUKEwjEqqrn5-jnAhVLjp4KHQFACjAQt9IBMBB6BAgLECU&usg=AOvVaw19bb87Jn6w6kSqh2QqnbVK

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Lasers will eventually form the satellite to satellite back-haul on the Starlink system, but I seriously doubt that modulated light will replace modulated RF anytime within my lifetime.  JMO

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Some of the best Wifi that we have gotten in campgrounds/RV parks has been through the Wifi hotspot networks run by Xfinity and Verizon. I believe they both have plans that give access to their systems. Xfinity uses commercial and residential customer locations to provide hotspots. Parks with long term residents or nearby residential areas may have multiple Xfinity hotspots. The speed to individual users is generally about 6mbs. Verizon uses dedicated access points that are often collocated  with other Wifi systems like those of RV parks. The last time we were at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, there was Verizon Hotspot that was much faster than the park Wifi. When we were in Las Cruces last fall, we encountered hotspots that were identified by the SSID "Cable Wifi". You logged in with your ID from providers like Xfinity. Spectrum, Cox and a number of others. The speed was consistently 20mbs+.

Edited by trailertraveler

17 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Some of the best Wifi that we have gotten in campgrounds/RV parks has been through the Wifi hotspot networks run by Xfinity and Verizon. I believe they both have plans that give access to their systems. Xfinity uses commercial and residential customer locations to provide hotspots. Parks with long term residents or nearby residential areas may have multiple Xfinity hotspots. The speed to individual users is generally about 6mbs. Verizon uses dedicated access points that are often collocated  with other Wifi systems like those of RV parks. The last time we were at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, there was Verizon Hotspot that was much faster than the park Wifi. When we were in Las Cruces last fall, we encountered hotspots that were identified by the SSID "Cable Wifi". You logged in with your ID from providers like Xfinity. Spectrum, Cox and a number of others. The speed was consistently 20mbs+.

But for you to gain access to an Xfinity hot spot, you need to be an Xfinity customer. I do not believe they are open networks.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

When my mother had Xfinity i watched out for it and found very few campgrounds, at least in the Pacific Northwest, where the wifi was available and needed to be boosted to be usable.    Being fulltimers, we did not have a house and could not have our own service.  I know Cox cable, at least in the Phoenix area, does not broadcast a public wifi signal from home units.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

5 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

Being fulltimers, we did not have a house and could not have our own service.

Xfinity has six plans that allow access to the hotspots. I am on one now at a park in Tavares, FL There are several snowbirds that must have internet service as I can see 4 Xfinity  hotspots. The fastest right now is about 25mbs.

Edited by trailertraveler