Meet the new Microsoft Edge: Your move, Google

RV_

Well it's about time. I'm going to give it a shot and will report back my opinion about it:

Excerpt:

"Effective today, Microsoft will begin rolling out its new Edge browser to the general public. Its new features should be welcomed by consumers and enterprise customers, but how will Google respond?

In 1995, at the dawn of the Internet era, Marc Andreessen famously predicted that his rocket ship of a startup, Netscape Communications Corporation, would soon reduce Windows to "a poorly debugged set of device drivers."

Netscape is, alas, long gone, and Andreessen's bold assertion is just a footnote in the great book of Internet Quotes, but it eventually came true. Sort of.

What those early combatants in the first browser wars didn't foresee was that Netscape wouldn't be the one to establish a true browser monoculture. Microsoft wouldn't claim that honor either. Instead, a quarter-century later, Google's Chrome browser would become the de facto standard for publishing information on the internet.

All of that explains how we got to January 15, 2020, the day Microsoft officially replaced its decades-old Trident web rendering engine (along with Trident's ill-fated EdgeHTML successor), with one based on the Chromium open source project. (For more details on exactly how the new Edge rollout will go, see today's report from my colleague Mary Jo Foley.)

Microsoft's decision to abandon its own browser engine and adopt the open source alternative managed by Google could be seen as a capitulation. But it says just as much about how, for better or worse, standards are adopted these days.

Independent standards setting bodies like the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) once ruled the web, with a collaborative approach to standards that competing browsers had to follow. Today, the standard is simple: Does your page work in Chrome?

As a result, for the new Edge (Microsoft calls it that to distinguish it from the legacy Edge browser that was a part of Windows 10 from 2015 until now), Job One is to mimic Google Chrome as perfectly as possible.

If Microsoft's engineers have done their job, you can visit any website using the new Edge, on a Mac or on a PC running any supported version of Windows, and that site will render in Edge exactly as it would in Chrome.

After using beta versions of the new Edge full-time for several months and previewing the final release for the past few days, I can confirm that that goal has been achieved. Which shouldn't be a surprise, given that the two browsers are literally starting from the same mature code base. Not many new software projects get to make their public debut with version 79."

For the detail oriented there is a whole lot more, including hot links to related info, go here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/meet-the-new-microsoft-edge-your-move-google/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

It'll be another day or two. I downloaded it, twice, both times it was in Arabic and backwards with the x to close it on the left top corner. I'll try again tomorrow.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Downloaded and installed yesterday.  It works fine but it is not obvious that you can load Extensions from the Chrome Store as well as the Microsoft Store. And of course they make it hard to find where to change the Search engine from Bing.

Edited by Mark and Dale Bruss

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I loaded it yesterday without difficulty.  I added a few extensions from the Microsoft Store and it, of course, acquired all my bookmarks.  After a while I thought "feels pretty much like Chrome".  Next thought I had was "if you don't have issues with Chrome, why change?" So I closed the program!  😁

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

First thing I noticed when I installed Win10 on my Win7 machine was how MS wanted me to get an MS identity and use the MS store and all.  I remember when MS used to be the trend setter, the innovator.  Now, they're trying to be an Apple clone, with "apps" instead of "programs" and everything on the cloud instead of on your machine?  I don't need my computer to look like my phone.

I have my laptop set up just like it was in Win7, didn't join the MS club, don't share any more than they make me.  I tried Edge, didn't find it any better than Firefox or Chrome.  Of course, I haven't used IE in 20 years or more either.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I guess the question is: I'm a Chrome user and use Google ecosystem exclusively - Drive, Photo, all their apps, etc. WHY would I want to even try out Edge if it "looks like Chrome"?  What advantage is there to it?

Edited by Jack Mayer

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

4 hours ago, docj said:

I loaded it yesterday without difficulty.  I added a few extensions from the Microsoft Store and it, of course, acquired all my bookmarks.  After a while I thought "feels pretty much like Chrome".  Next thought I had was "if you don't have issues with Chrome, why change?" So I closed the program!  😁

Did the same - and I'm with you. There's also less user control in the Edge Chromium browser... for instance: I'm having a lot of difficulty getting a new tab to open up to anything but Bing. I can get the startup page to do what I want, but not a new tab once the browser is open. I'm back to chrome. A British water engineer I worked with in Somalia in the early '80s would put on his best John Wayne imitation and say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Pretty good philosophy.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I guess it's all perspective. After aging out of a decades-long IT career I have an affinity for MS products as they're still the only platform you can run large enterprise systems on.  Not a fanboi, I harken back to days of Unisys "A" series, believe IBM's system 400's the most underated server platform and entered the PC world on CPM that was infinitely more robust than MS-DOS and then became an idiot-savant of OS/2 that made nascent Windows/DOS operating systems look like toys.  However, all these years later if I'm planning to rollout an international Oracle/SAP implementation then you'd better plan on having Microsoft minding the clients or risk having to deal with other products who's support may be coming from folks whose previous experience was developing games or social media apps, not mission critical systems. 

So..... with that in mind I've foregone any of the Google kool-aid (even though they prompt me to sign up for cloud storage,  email, social media apps,  etc any time I use their products) and am content to use IE or Edge for 90% of my browsing with Chrome ("please sign in!")  employed when necessary.  I'm delighted to have an open-source, "chrome compliant" alternative that will likely be well supported and doesn't require me to have a gmail account to use to full extent. Now if only MS would bring back the Windows phone 🙄

Only back to the A Series?  I started with B300/B5500's. The previous versions of Edge were severely limiting.  I have been using Vivadi, a Chrome based browser for several reasons.  At least with this Chrome based Edge, I can add some extensions I rely on for those applications that will only use Edge for display purposes.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Welcome to the forum Dogyard! I look forward to seeing your contributions here.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 1/17/2020 at 9:52 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Only back to the A Series?  I started with B300/B5500's. The previous versions of Edge were severely limiting.  I have been using Vivadi, a Chrome based browser for several reasons.  At least with this Chrome based Edge, I can add some extensions I rely on for those applications that will only use Edge for display purposes.

The first computer I even programmed on was an IBM 1620.  The first assembler I learned was CDC 7600.  

We will see how much I use the new Edge.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Started on a IBM 1620 also at Marquette University in 1962.  B300 machine code and Basic Assembler on B3500 systems.

I may switch full time to Edge from Vivaldi because I have a script function that doesn't work with Vivaldi and does with Edge.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Ah yes, good to be home with folks who know the difference between LINC and MAPPER, I must not be the only one with a foot in the grave 😜.  Well, we're all younger than one of my 1st colleagues who told me if I didn't know FORTRAN then I wasn't worth a darn......

2 days in on "Chromium" (the marketing people actually get paid to christen these damn things!) and there's nothing I don't like other than having to figure out how to do things all over again. I've had a number of sites that absolutely required Chrome to work (und Firefox is verboten!) and so far they don't seem to know I'm running an impostor so hope to keep the hits coming.  MS may be too big for their britches but at least they were built on selling a product rather than secretly making their end-users into a product that they sold, call me old fashioned but I'd rather pay for OS/application licenses than have my personal data parsed-out and passed along to the highest bidder in exchange for use of a word processor/spreadsheet.

2 hours ago, dogyard said:

Ah yes, good to be home with folks who know the difference between LINC and MAPPER, I must not be the only one with a foot in the grave 😜.  Well, we're all younger than one of my 1st colleagues who told me if I didn't know FORTRAN then I wasn't worth a darn......

Ok, not only do I know about Linc and Mapper (not as much about Mapper), but I can program in Espol/NEWP. Heck I even know what DMS is 😁And I know Fortran pretty well - I was on the National Standards Committee that created two versions of it.  And I'd bet you know what CANDE is too!!  Blast from the past. I worked at  Unisys/Burroughs Large Systems - starting in 1968 in the summer. In the summer of 1970 (I think it was) I helped assemble the first 7700. Processor 1. Started full time when I got out of college in '73.

Edited by Jack Mayer

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Another one for old timers with Univac experience - "Programming without Fang is like watch making without a sledgehammer."  Fang was kind of the Perl or Python of its day, but different.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

13 hours ago, DJW said:

It is so nice to see the old guys get together and talk story about "What it was like back in the Day" or to listen to those "Remember When" Stories

Dennis

Agreed!  Far more interesting and benevolent than those forums that consist of us geezers yelling at kids to get off our lawns, right?😉  Of course I took care of that problem by ripping out my lawn and replacing with native pollinator plants so the kids stay away from the swarms of bees and even-more menacing butterflies .....

52 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

Another one for old timers with Univac experience - "Programming without Fang is like watch making without a sledgehammer."  Fang was kind of the Perl or Python of its day, but different.

OK, I had to google that one as it's unknown to me.  Made me realize I've probably forgotten more languages than I remember, Clipper, Advanced-Revelation, etc.  I knew it was time to quit when I was directing a bunch of youngsters who were doing some of the first mobile phone (not smartphones, before that!) and they were using java - I attempted to show them my stuff and the best comment was that I was using an object-based language to write procedural code.  Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

• 1 month later...

As always, rivalries exist between supposed teammates. As the article says, Google has never applied warnings to other Chromium based browsers, such as Opera.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 2 months later...

I downloaded the new Edge last week, man that is blazing fast. Firefox 75 takes 3x as long to load a page. Now to learn how to use everything in Edge.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961