repairing a black tank

Wrknrvr

A friend of mine had a tire problem on his class C.

ZUmmaXDl.jpg

So since i am bored I thought I will try to repair it. We did look at buying a new tank. It needs to be manufactured then shipped. And not at a friendly price either.

So I told him to get me a mud flap from NAPA that was made of the same material. And I would see what I could do about repairing it. 

So I did look at it closely and I think I can repair it. I think it can be repaired with patience.

Now what would be a real problem would be to buy a new tank which would have no waste hole, vent hole or sink drain hole in place. So then one must install those holes and attach the pipes accordingly. So the toilet  is set on a  plate form and has all these pipes connecting under neath it.  Which has very limited space.

We are planning on reinstalling the toilet with fernco rubber collars.

I did a short test of welding on the tank that you can see. For welding rods just cut thin strips of material as needed.

I should be fishing,,    Vern 

I plastic welded the  110 gallon water tank in my trailer, paid someone and it lasted 1 year my job has been in there at least 5 years.  Glue is a no go on the white water tank. I believe ABS glue is good on the black and I have herd of melting some abs in acetone and can spread it on the clean roughed up tank. Been awhile since I researched doing the repair on mine. you will be ok

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Vern,  remember in high school when you learned to solder using a soldering iron, the kind with a long handle, heated up over a burner?  An old hammer works fine for soldering plastic.  You have the skills floating around in the back of your head, just dig them out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

nDsLO3wl.jpg

Got one more done.  More photos tomorrow 

So th hole on the bottom was drilled out with a 4” hole saw. I also have the end repaired with a piece of material installed and welded in place. The end of the tank took more work than I thought. But with watching u tube videos and some practice things look good. So the welding is actually being done with a 200 watt soldering gun. The kit that came with the soldering gun actually has two different ends that work good for smoothing out the weld joint. I just cut thin strips of the mud flap to make welding rods. 

I do think of fishing when working,   Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

52 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

So the welding is actually being done with a 200 watt soldering gun.

cheater....😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

JIC, Would any of these new tanks be the correct size?  https://www.plastic-mart.com/category/34/rv-holding-tanks

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

nDsLO3wl.jpg

Got one more done.  More photos tomorrow EWd0gaAl.jpg

More work to follow.

That is a good site for tanks. Thanks for that info.   So one big problem for installing a new tank is getting the fittings in place for hooking up to old pipes.

Now I have done several black tanks in fifthwheels but this would be really hard to fit new pipes to match the old lines. Only one person can work on the pipes when the new tank would go in place.

So I think this may be the best way to do this job.

Thanks,   Vern

photo did not post. Will try later.

Edited by Wrknrvr
Missing photo

what I did was I took my dads old big soldering iron maybe 400 watts and I silver soldered a stainless steel plate on the copper tip at about 30 degrees off 90 degrees and worked great. Also took the tip off the 200 what gun like the original poster and make my own copper stables that I can melt into the plastic for a stronger grip. I am no real you tuber but made a video on how it all works I guess there were 3 parts 

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

• 3 weeks later...