Certified Mail Missing??

Velos

I sent a letter via certified mail on January 2nd, 2020 to be able to confirm the recipients receipt. On January 7th 2020 the recipient went to the post office to pick it up and the clerk couldn't find it??? I located the postmasters of the offices listed on the tracking site and am contacting them to see if they could assist.  So far no luck :(

Has anyone here had experience with trying to locate missing certified mail? 

I took a long shot and also checked my escapees mail to see if they by any chance had sent it back to my return address, and it wasn't there.

Yes the recipient received the notice from their post office.  They also provided all the tracking stops along the way to assist in locating it.

They checked with them again this morning 1-10-2020 and it is still now found nor does the post office update the online tracking to show that someone checked in to pick it up.  It would appear that any stats from the Post Office are questionable as they don't keep transactions current.

I have contacted two of the postmasters involved this morning and have not heard back from them.

The item was last scanned in the Spring TX post office where it was to be  picked up.  So it is somewhere in the Spring TX post office.

I'm finding the USPS tracking leaves something to be desired. I sent a camera to Canon to be cleaned. The package was insured and tracked.  The USPS tracking showed the camera out for delivery last Friday, and after that shows only an "ALERT" status noting that the delivery has been delayed, with no updates since January 4th. 

Long story short the camera was in fact delivered to Canon and I've since received it back via Fed-Ex.  Yet the USPS tracking on my original shipment still shows "ALERT", undelivered, with no updates.  Not particularly useful...

I hope that you are able to track down your Certified Mail.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Thank you for the positive thoughts.  Unfortunately time is of the essence so I will have to recreate my documents and resend.  I doubt I will get a refund on the certified mail "service" or acknowledgement for my inconvenience.  I am glad your camera transaction was a success.

Being an optimist ... I rarely have to use the US mail and as technology advances, at what seems like the speed of light, it will eventually be a thing of the past as most documents will be processed electronically and products will eventually all be shipped by companies other that the USPS.

Interesting stats on Amazon, Fedex, UPS and USPS: 
https://www.axios.com/amazon-shipping-chart-fedex-ups-usps-0dc6bab1-2169-42a8-9e56-0e85c590eb89.html

Who would of ever thought we'd pay for products with a cell phone ie Apple Pay or Android Pay, technology is progressing at the speed of light.:)

That is amazing. I had no idea that amazon had made those sorts of inroads as a shipper.  I get all of my deliveries from Amazon out in very rural locations, and thus far all have come either USPS or UPS.  Maybe someday I'll see an Amazon truck pull up with a package. 

Sorry for your troubles regarding your documents. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I ordered something and received an email it had been delivered to our PO Box but it wasn't there.  I asked at the Post Office what happened.  A few hours later they called and said it was mistakenly put into the wrong box. I think someone returned it. They handle a lot of mail so mistakes happen but many times in the past the item just disappeared.  I hope you have success finding your item.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 hours ago, Velos said:

Yes the recipient received the notice from their post office.  They also provided all the tracking stops along the way to assist in locating it.

They checked with them again this morning 1-10-2020 and it is still now found nor does the post office update the online tracking to show that someone checked in to pick it up.  It would appear that any stats from the Post Office are questionable as they don't keep transactions current.

I have contacted two of the postmasters involved this morning and have not heard back from them.

The item was last scanned in the Spring TX post office where it was to be  picked up.  So it is somewhere in the Spring TX post office.

No, tracking does not show when someone tried to pick it up, but tracking should show the last time and place it was scanned.  Does the recipient get their mail in a PO BOX or on a route?  If on a route tracking should show if the item was checked out to the carrier, and since it was not delivered, tracking should show that delivery was attempted and notice left, and then it should be checked back into the post office, and should be where undelivered certified mail is placed.

If the recipient gets their mail on a route, then it may have still been with the carrier, and he had not returned to the office yet.

The Postmaster and the sending office can only look online at the tracking, however, the Postmaster at the receiving office should be able to, not only check tracking, but be able to physically look for the mail piece.

Edited by pjstough

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

USPS tracking leaves a lot to be desired.  I made an Amazon order on a Friday night.  Saturday night, USPS tracking said it was in my local post office and would be delivered Sunday.  Sunday morning it showed as being in a post office 80 miles away.  Monday, it showed as being in Dallas, 250 miles away.  Tuesday, it was supposed to be in another post office 40 miles out.  Wednesday, it supposedly was in Houston, 100 miles from here.

Thursday, Amazon sent an email saying it was lost and they were sending another.  Saturday, they both arrived.

My opinion?  I think USPS service quality is very much location dependent.  My local post office sucks.  I get my mail between 630 pm and 730 pm, even though it will say "out for delivery" at 8 am.  When the substitute delivers, I usually get it before 2 pm.  The sub told me that the regular carrier picks up the mail early like the other carriers, but doesn't start delivering until after noon.  I've never lived anywhere that I had to take a flashlight out to the box to check the mail.  It's also the first time I ever had a carrier who had her children with her in the back seat while delivering.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

33 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

USPS tracking leaves a lot to be desired.  I made an Amazon order on a Friday night.  Saturday night, USPS tracking said it was in my local post office and would be delivered Sunday.  Sunday morning it showed as being in a post office 80 miles away.  Monday, it showed as being in Dallas, 250 miles away.  Tuesday, it was supposed to be in another post office 40 miles out.  Wednesday, it supposedly was in Houston, 100 miles from here.

Thursday, Amazon sent an email saying it was lost and they were sending another.  Saturday, they both arrived.

My opinion?  I think USPS service quality is very much location dependent.  My local post office sucks.  I get my mail between 630 pm and 730 pm, even though it will say "out for delivery" at 8 am.  When the substitute delivers, I usually get it before 2 pm.  The sub told me that the regular carrier picks up the mail early like the other carriers, but doesn't start delivering until after noon.  I've never lived anywhere that I had to take a flashlight out to the box to check the mail.  It's also the first time I ever had a carrier who had her children with her in the back seat while delivering.

If the regular carrier is getting his mail, wasting time until noon, the Postmaster needs to be notified, however, if the Postmaster is requiring the carried to do other duties before starting to deliver at noon, that is a different matter, but I would call the Postmaster with your concern anyway.

52 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

USPS tracking leaves a lot to be desired. 

It also changes with any change of carrier, or at least it does for a rural route. For 8 years our mail was delivered to a cluster mail box with several large package boxes at the bottom and a key would be in the package recipient's mailbox. For the first 5 0r 6 years any mistake in the mail delivery was rare and always meant that the carrier was on vacation and a substitute brought our mail. Then our carrier retired and the new ones seem to just spread the mail among the cluster boxes in a random order and the key for the box with a package is rarely in the proper box. The community refers to the mess as the USPS's new, get to know your neighbor plan.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just now, Kirk W said:

It also changes with any change of carrier, or at least it does for a rural route. For 8 years our mail was delivered to a cluster mail box with several large package boxes at the bottom and a key would be in the package recipient's mailbox. For the first 5 0r 6 years any mistake in the mail delivery was rare and always meant that the carrier was on vacation and a substitute brought our mail. Then our carrier retired and the new ones seem to just spread the mail among the cluster boxes in a random order and the key for the box with a package is rarely in the proper box. The community refers to the mess as the USPS's new, get to know your neighbor plan.

Hopefully, you and the neighbors brought this to the attention of the Postmaster.

2 hours ago, pjstough said:

No, tracking does not show when someone tried to pick it up, but tracking should show the last time and place it was scanned.  Does the recipient get their mail in a PO BOX or on a route?  If on a route tracking should show if the item was checked out to the carrier, and since it was not delivered, tracking should show that delivery was attempted and notice left, and then it should be checked back into the post office, and should be where undelivered certified mail is placed.

If the recipient gets their mail on a route, then it may have still been with the carrier, and he had not returned to the office yet.

The Postmaster and the sending office can only look online at the tracking, however, the Postmaster at the receiving office should be able to, not only check tracking, but be able to physically look for the mail piece.

Postal employees have physically looked on two separate occasions for the letter.  The tracking shows it was last scanned and received at the Spring TX post office and the business has received their mail in a PO Box there for several years. The business receive the slip in their mail box that they have a certified letter waiting for them.  So where ever they store certified mail for pick up is where it got lost in that office.  Hopefully it wasn't given to another customer.

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

A RV park we stayed in last summer was in a rural area and the town so small they don't have enough postal employees to do deliveries so they sub contract delivery to non postal employees to deliver in the outlying areas. 

43 minutes ago, SWharton said:

If you need to resend use FEDEX or UPS. I heard that Amazon did not renew  their contract with USPS. That is why we are seeing Amazon trucks, more cost effective.

With all due respect, I think it was FedEx that didn't renew its ground shipping contract with Amazon and it appears to have been FedEx's decision. 

FedEx and Amazon part ways

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I read that Amazon ceased. and told all its 3rd party suppliers, to stop using Fedex several months ago. This might have led to Fedex cutting ties. I believe ties have been cut with USPS as I haven't had a delivery through them in months. Happy about that break-up. Now everything comes via UPS, not even by Amazon truck. Been going on for several months.

23 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I read that Amazon ceased. and told all its 3rd party suppliers, to stop using Fedex several months ago. This might have led to Fedex cutting ties. I believe ties have been cut with USPS as I haven't had a delivery through them in months. Happy about that break-up. Now everything comes via UPS, not even by Amazon truck. Been going on for several months.

Most of my Amazon deliveries, as recently as this week have come by USPS.  May depend on where you are. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

Spring Texas Postal Distribution Center is the largest USPS distribution center in the US. During the last flood in the Houston area the roof fell in on the distribution center. That is the center were my mail comes thru and it has been a mess for months. Mail not delivered and sent to Dallas for routing and it is still not right yet!

UPDATE:  Today 7 Days after the recipient received the notice that certified mail was available for him to pick up the letter was located in the office it was sent to.  The PO was extremely apologetic. My only hope is that whatever happened to it will be fixed so it won't happen again.  Thankfully this situation is now in my rear view mirror. 

Safe Travels All...

49 minutes ago, Velos said:

UPDATE:  Today 7 Days after the recipient received the notice that certified mail was available for him to pick up the letter was located in the office it was sent to.  The PO was extremely apologetic. My only hope is that whatever happened to it will be fixed so it won't happen again.  Thankfully this situation is now in my rear view mirror. 

Safe Travels All...

Thank you for the update.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what happened.

We had a similar issue years ago.  Escapees sent our mail package c/o General Delivery.  It was a large Priority box.  We went to the P.O. during the course of two weeks asking for it and  they quickly ducked behind the wall and swiftly came out and said it's not here.  Tracing it we knew it was there.  Finally  one day another employee came out and said "It's here".  I had them check it out & it had been there all along!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel