LITHIUM "DROP IN" REPLACEMENTS

I know they have sold thousands of these batteries to rvers.  My question is, have any of you upgraded to these "drop in" replacement batteries?  And, is it as simple as just "dropping them in"? I have a 2010 Fleetwood Encounter, on a 53F Ford chassis, with two Trojan T-105s.  I am adding 400 watts of solar to the roof, with an MPPT controller.  I have heard/read various OPINIONS about why this will or will not work (over or under charging, overheating the alternator, voltage spike damaging the regulator, etc).  I am wondering, do any of you have experience with this upgrade?  How has it worked?  What were the issues?  Thank you for your help.  Paul

I did the upgrade this summer. Since my previous batteries were T-105 six volts, and my new lithium batteries were 12 volt, I had to re-wire from series/parallel to straight parallel. 

They are also physically smaller than the T-105 batteries so I cut some wooden spacers to fix them in the batteries trays.

I also updated my charger setting to a Constant Current / Constant Voltage profile to optimize for the lithium batteries, but the lithium manufacturers will give you the optimal "lead acid" settings if you don't have that option. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Paul, to me the term "drop in" is misleading especially for a novice. As far as I'm concerned that ONLY means it will fit (IE Drop In) in the physical space. As far as all those electrical fears you mentioned, be advised the charge parameters and manufacturer recommendations for a Lithium battery is different then conventional lead acid IE DO NOT just "drop in" Lithium and expect any old Converter/Charger (especially any older or cheaper NON Smart NON multistage) to correctly charge them. "Some" Charger manufacturers may claim "no problem our current technology charger will work fine"  Many "other" chargers are equipped with various charge settings such as Flooded Lead Acid,,,,,,,,,,,AGM,,,,,,,,,,and even Lithium. If one of those has a charge algorithm as suggested okay by the battery manufacturer fine, otherwise, especially if the ONLY settings are say Flooded or AGM or Sealed I WOULD NOT SUGGEST YOU DROP IN LITHIUM IN PLACE OF LEAD ACID AND EXPECT IT TO BE CORRECT.

BOTTOM LINE sure Lithium are fine PROVIDED THAT your charger is correct for that application. Of course I'm sure you're also aware of the low temperature charging problems so  make sure the battery management system and controls deal with such so as to not damage the battery.

DISCLAIMER No I do not own Lithium batteries nor have any experience with "drop in" as you asked, so do as the manufacturer recommends and other Lithium users and experts on here NOT ME. While Battle Born is an aggressive marketer and receives a lot of press, there are several other manufacturers our there, shop around research and do your homework before making such a huge investment.

John T 

As John said, to get full performance out of you lithium battery, your charging profile might have to change.

Battle Born has posted a list of chargers that can be adjusted for use with their batteries.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/charger-compatibility-table/

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

That a look at this thread - lots of good info if you can get through all of it

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=982657

I have 4 Prismatic 200amp bare cells in our RV - Built my own BMS - it's been wonderful for the past 4 years
It's not at all difficult to get all the charging systems Li compatible
Inverter use with Li as compared the LA is night and day better 

Picked up two of the 100amp G31 "drop-ins" from Lithium hub for the boat - Used them for about 6 months now and LOVE them - The Bluetooth interface is a wonderful added functionality 

To each their own
For us Li batteries are the only way to go