Looking for our first 5th wheel

Mark Coleman

My wife and I will be starting to travel this year and have bought a 2500 Ram Diesel long bed to haul a 5th wheel 19,500 Max towing capacity with 2495 hitch weight. We are looking for a 5th wheel approx. 34-36 ft with certain amenities. Any ideas on how to decide on model and style. I have some info already, such as Drop Frame. Z style, Alum steps, Azddel composite material, but I have no idea how to determine which model has everything I need. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

A 3/4-ton truck may be your first issue. A 2,495 payload capacity is not much and isn't going to get you anywhere near your 19,500 combined weight rating (that's not your max towing capacity, I'm certain). Fifth wheels typically put about 23% of their loaded weight on the pin. If you have only 2,495 lbs. payload (and that's after fuel, occupants, the weight of the hitch, etc.), you are limited to a fifth wheel with a GVWR of about 10,800 lbs. You are not going to find a drop-frame fifth wheel with a lot of amenities in that weight range. Diesel 3/4-tons are notorious for having low payload ratings.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Be aware that 3/4 ton trucks are often severely limited by their rear axle capacity, and that will restrict the size of fifth wheel that you should consider. Fifth wheel trailers generally carry 20 - 25% of their weight on the pin, so with a 2500 pound pin capacity you will be looking at around a 10,000 - 12,500 pound fifth wheel.  Very difficult to find a 34 - 36 footer in that weight class. 

Sorry for the unpleasant news, but 3/4 ton truck owners are often surprised by this "gotcha". 

Wow. Second Chance and i wrote the same thing at about the same time. Spoookkkky!

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

7 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Wow. Second Chance and i wrote the same thing at about the same time. Spoookkkky!

In our family, we used to say, "Great minds run in the same gutter..." 😉

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Once you come to terms with the 5th wheel size the next item will be selecting an RV. Unless you go custom you don't have much choice what materials are used in an RV. The more important thing is floor plan. Questions to ask yourself: can I access the bathroom and at least the refrigerator when the slides are in(ask dealer to bring in slides), how big are the tanks, what happens if it rains for 3-4 days and we are stuck inside the RV, where are you interested in camping(commercial or state and national parks, this will affect your size), solar and generator if thinking about boondocking(plus enough batteries).

Answer these questions and then there will be more.

Thanks for the heads up on hitch weight. So far I haven't had to much of an issue finding trailers that are in the length range I'm looking for that fall below the 2500 hitch range. I may not, as you both have suggested, be able to buy one with the Z frame, but I'll keep looking. SWharton, thanks for the ideas. Those are all good suggestions to keep in mind.

Also remember that 'Hitch Weight" is likely the total amount of load that can be added to the truck.  So consider that the weight of the hitch itself, tool box, firewood, even passengers above the assumed driver, fuel, etc. will subtract from that. 

Good luck on your search!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Do the math as outlined above, and add in a safety factor of at least 10%.  Stay well within the guide lines for you tow vehicle, with fuel, gear, and passengers included.  Get it weighed. 

You might have to set your sights a bit lower, or get a bigger truck.  Too much truck is just right.😉

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Get a bigger truck or smaller camper.  My 32' camper would max you out.  We have no problem spending lots of time in it with just the 2 of us but it is an older model, has a busted slide shear pin at the moment.  I once bought a 3/4 diesel to pull an RV with and after doing some digging/checking on weights, that truck went away and I bought what we now have.  We plan on a much heavier camper in the near distance.

Your truck will pull a bigger camper with no problem, the real problem is, you don't have enough truck to stop a heavier camper safely.

As far as deciding on make/model, visit lots of show and dealerships, all brands.  Read here and other sites, go to sites dedicated to specific brands, etc.  Not everyone likes the same.  All I will say, the cheaper the model, well, you get what you pay for.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, Mark Coleman said:

Thanks for the heads up on hitch weight. So far I haven't had to much of an issue finding trailers that are in the length range I'm looking for that fall below the 2500 hitch range. I may not, as you both have suggested, be able to buy one with the Z frame, but I'll keep looking. SWharton, thanks for the ideas. Those are all good suggestions to keep in mind.

Mark,

Those "hitch" weights (referred to as pin weight with a fifth wheel) advertised by the manufacturers are empty weights - NOT loaded weights. Use the math provided by me and others in this thread (20 - 25% of the trailer's GVWR) and don't be fooled into a false sense of security.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Mark,

You’re getting good advice on payload.  Pin weighs spec’d are empty and without options.  A good example is my situation: 35ft Vilano (nice 5er) has 2600lb “pin weight spec” and about 12,500 overall weight.  After adding a few options, and stuff we carry to travel our 35ft 5er weights about 15,500lbs and has a true pin weight of 3500lb. 

With a 3/4T I suspect you’ll need to look at 5ers in the 9,000-10,000 range empty and no more than 12,000lb fully loaded...even that might be iffy if you want to stay within weights...

Good luck,

Ron

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS