Favorite long stay summer spots?

Mississippi Riverwood RV Park. We originally stayed there to visit friends and family in the Minneapolis Metro area but it is a beautiful location right on the Mississippi River in a location with lots to offer besides our family.  :) https://campnative.com/campgrounds/usa/mn/elk-river/mississippi-riverwood-rv-park

And my blog entry showing our site. Click on pictures to enlarge them. https://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2011/05/summer-camp-part-2/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Black Hills of South Dakota. You have Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, iron Mt Rd, Needles Hwy, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave and Jewel Cave, all the attractions around Rapid City and a little farther North is Deadwood, Sturgis. Over the border into WY is Devils Mt. and a little east on I-90 from Rapid City is Badlands NP. There are many camp grounds and boondocking spots in the area. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Custer , SD,. Durango Co area, West Yellowstone, Mt.  All have lots of things to do. Many activities, or just hanging around to enjoy the wildlife and cooler weather. Only drawback was major hail damage to truck and 5 er in South Dakota. Still a nice stay.

Edited by Cowdog353

If steam railroads interest you, Chama, NM is a great summer place. The Cumbtres & Toltec offers daily trains from Chama to Antonito, CO. Chama is 100 miles from Santa Fe and 120 miles from Durango, CO.

The Durango and Silverton is another steam train ride.

Alamosa, CO is 80 miles away and offers a standard gauge train ride daily to La Veta, CO. and return.

Chama is 7900 ft elevation.

ShortyO

Shorty, when I grow up, I'm gonna follow you around.  You find all the fun stuff.  Say "Hi" to Judy for us.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, geodog said:

Chama, NM is a great summer place.

Other areas in New Mexico you might look into are Angel Fire, Eagles Nest, Red River, Ruidoso, Capitan, and Cloudcroft. They are all at higher elevations. In Arizona, you might look at Show Low, Springerville, Eager, and Alpine. Lots of Forest Service campgrounds in both that use camp hosts and volunteers if you are interested in that.

For me during the summer I go back to where I lived before I became a full timer, Colorado. There's a lot to see and do, the scenery's spectacular, and by going higher or lower in elevation you can quickly and easily cool off or warm up. As for campground recommendations I can't help you, I boondock most of the time.

theboondork.com

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com

Have a couple of suggestions. First:

Westview RV Park, Cortez, CO. Located on the highway btwn Cortez and Dolores CO. A new park, only 3 yrs old.  Close adventures include: Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton and Durango RR, Telluride and the wonderful loop scenic drive through the Rockies---truly spectacular drive that takes you back to Durango, 4 corners, Canyon de Chey,  and many more.  Get out your map books and start plotting. 

Second:

Volunteer to be a campground host at Capitol Reef NP in south central Utah.  We hosted at Capitol Reef the last 2 summers.  Fantastic and an unforgettable experience.  There are 2 seasonal gigs; Spring/summer (March 1 - June 30) or summer/Fall (July 1 - October 31). We did the summer/Fall both times. Hiking with many options,  fishing, overnight camping at remote locations,  sightseeing,  history buffs,  your campsite is right next to an apricot orchard, like orchard fresh fruits like apricots, peaches, pears, plums, and apples...most of the orchards are in walking distance from your campsite. Work with the park staff and enjoy the camping visitors.   Much more...

3 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

Our favorite fishing hole is anywhere the catfish are plentiful.  Arkansas has some of the best, followed by the rivers and streams in neighboring Oklahoma.  Fishing rods not always needed.  Further details will not be forthcoming.

Might be good, but Red River between ND and MN is the best... LOL  BUT, I would not recommend trying the grab method in this river.  I do agree, cat-fishing is awesome!  Our problem is catching them small enough to taste good, way too many monster cats here but I look forward to trying Arrrr-kansas cat'n some day.  And fly2low, I'd be happy to share my favorite spots if you don't clip too many tree-tops getting here.  🙂

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

3 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Might be good, but Red River between ND and MN is the best... LOL  BUT, I would not recommend trying the grab method in this river.  I do agree, cat-fishing is awesome!  Our problem is catching them small enough to taste good, way too many monster cats here but I look forward to trying Arrrr-kansas cat'n some day.  And fly2low, I'd be happy to share my favorite spots if you don't clip too many tree-tops getting here.  🙂

Stay out of the big rivers in Arkansas and you'll find the cats plentiful and in the 2-4 lb. range.  You'll get bigger cats in the fast flowing rivers.  

Sigh..... all this talk about cat'n.... now I want to go fishing bad!  Guess it's time to go punch some holes, ice is running between 12 to 18 inches.  With all this crazy snow we've had, good thing we have a UTV with tracks. 

So far, best long term summer place to stay, one is private property and the other is a lake stocked with walleyes/northern pike and I rarely see another sole.  If anyone is up my way, contact me, I will gladly give you directions but be aware, it is way out there, be prepared for dispersed camping.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.