Just when you think you've dodged that bullet.......

dirtyboots

The fool in the truck was clearly driving too fast for conditions. Notice that the officers there were wearing raincoats, so the road was wet as well as very poor visibility. That was reported on our local news and they said that visibility was less than 100 yards at the time of the accident. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I do not understand why the idiots can't slow down in limited visibility conditions.  No excuse except just plain old stupidity.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

This is why I only travel on sunny or cloudy days. I do need other factors that add more risk. It looks like someone was in the white Ford that was CRUSHED by the trailer. Hope they are OK.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Even the car, and the truck N camper, drivers were idiots, driving in dense fog with no lights on. Semi driver driving to fast for conditions could not see car with no lights on.

Looks like the guy in the yellow raincoat was the only one with their brain engaged.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

Hope they are OK.

The news reports were that there were no serious injuries. 

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Looks like the guy in the yellow raincoat was the only one with their brain engaged.

That was one of the HP officers. The local news showed similar footage from slightly different angle and there were 2 other people who ran from the area of the white vehicle but cleared the camera view. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another article mentions the fellow that jumped into the white pickup was trapped until they could cut him out. He and the trooper were taken to a hospital but expected to survive.

And for Ray's comment about no lights, the video clearly shows the car and pickup towing the 5'ver clearly have their lights on...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/27/us/semi-truck-crash-texas-trnd/index.html

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Isn't it strange how everyone sees something different in the video?

For example, every single vehicle I saw had their headlights on except the white truck, which was parked fifty feet off the road.  That's what I saw.  Also, I never saw a pickup towing a fifth wheel at all.

Looks to me like the HDT driver was the one who was distracted or whatever, hard to blame the others for anything.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Dutch, I was attending a criminal investigation course one time and during class two people burst into the room.  One made a loud statement and the other took a jacket off of the coat rack, then they both ran out.

Each student was asked to write down what had happened.  Of the 20 or so students, descriptions of the intruders were varied.  Only two students knew what had been taken, but described it differently.  Only about half the class could recall what was said.  And, these were professional law enforcement officers.

That's why many in the justice business consider eye witness testimony to be the weakest kind of evidence.  ☺️

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Oh yeah, in a former life I attended several similar courses and seminars, Chirakawa, that sometimes included similar exercises. And yes, there's no question that eye witness testimony can vary significantly from witness to witness. 

Dutch

On 12/28/2019 at 8:45 AM, chirakawa said:

Isn't it strange how everyone sees something different in the video?

For example, every single vehicle I saw had their headlights on except the white truck, which was parked fifty feet off the road.  That's what I saw.  Also, I never saw a pickup towing a fifth wheel at all.

Looks to me like the HDT driver was the one who was distracted or whatever, hard to blame the others for anything.

I just reviewed the video 2x again, I missed a bunch of details the first 2x, probably still missing many. Like the semi-trailer hit 2 cars from behind while leaving the roadway, before overturning. The truck driver, who was driving too fast for conditions, was unaware of the previous crash until it was too late to slow/stop.I did not seen any warning devices in use from the previous crash, even in that dense fog; not even on the parked cruiser in the video.

Trucker did not  have his lights on, he only had driving lights on, which do not normally connect to marker or tail lights or headlights. Can't speak about TX, but in Indiana that is illegal.

The current prevalent climate of the trucking industry may have contributed to the 2nd crash, hire young drivers and push them to meet optimistic delivery dates while adhering to the ELD.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

32 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I did not seen any warning devices in use from the previous crash, even in that dense fog; not even on the parked cruiser in the video.

The only "cruiser" I saw was the DPS vehicle, which was only after the wreck when the camera was zoomed out.  It definitely had all it's warning lights going.  Which "cruiser" are you referring to?

4 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

The only "cruiser" I saw was the DPS vehicle, which was only after the wreck when the camera was zoomed out.  It definitely had all it's warning lights going.  Which "cruiser" are you referring to?

Before/as the semi left the roadway, the white car with the unlit yellow light on top to the left of the roadway. Perhaps that is not a cruiser, I missed something again_?

Edited by Ray,IN

11 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Before/as the semi left the roadway, the white car with the unlit yellow light on top to the left of the roadway. Perhaps that is not a cruiser, I missed something again_?

The "white car" is a pickup truck parked about 50 feet off the road. It's not clear if it's an official vehicle or not...

Dutch

That white pickup appears to be one of those that works with construction crews, possibly a construction company supervisor.  DPS was on the scene (in the raincoat) and I think their vehicles are black.  Having emergency lights glowing is no deterrent to some people.

Probably enough blame to go around.

I agree. IMO alert(defensive) drivers seem to be a rarity today.

Another dodge the bullet moment.

Edited by Ray,IN