Wacko Products RV A/C Silencer

remoandiris

https://wackoproducts.com/product-category/rv-a-c-silencer/

Anyone install one (or more) or these.  Saw an article in "Trailer Life" and it looks like an inexpensive way to quiet things down.  They also claim an increase in ducted air output.  Guess that means it reduces air loss at the ceiling opening where this gets installed.

Reviewers mostly say it works as advertised.

$200 magic plastic. Better separation of warm and  cool air is always a good thing, but most of the noise from our AC isn't air movement. We get more noise from the compressor, by far, than from the air moving in and out of the evaporator  chamber. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

56 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Looking at their explanations I think it would reduce the air flow. 

I thought so too, but it looks like the air intake area may be significantly larger, so even passing through the baffles may result in a little more air with less pressure drop. I know that the little 6" x 12" foam filter in our A/C picks up a lot of dust and can get clogged pretty quickly.

But it looks like we'd lose the "Quik Cool" function of the original ceiling piece which allows us to dump all or part of output of the unit directly into the living area when we first start it on a hot days, rather than ducting it up to the bathroom and bedroom area.  We like that feature.  But less noise would be nice...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

16 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I know that the little 6" x 12" foam filter in our A/C picks up a lot of dust and can get clogged pretty quickly.

That is part of what I was thinking also. Any filter will restrict air flow and more so as it collects gunk. Some of the deadening materials associated with the ducting might also but it is difficult to give much opinion without ever having seen the kit. To me it looks very expensive for something so completely unknown. I'd really like to hear from someone who has installed one and used it for an extended time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

I have instead the Rv A/C Silencer and love it. I see multiple things it does. 1. More air flow through the vents. 2 . 8 db drop in sound levels. 3. Love the filter, it is truly a reusable filter. 4. The kit is easy to clean. 5. The one that matters the most, the wife is happy...  This was on a Dometic unit

Have it. Like it. Only concern is I happened to be wanting to clean the filter one day while it was running. Took the screws off, and can feel the intake air sucking and holding the cover up. Hints at some air restriction, but for me, the lesser sound is most important. For me, it has been on near a year. 5db (using phone app) better, which in a small rv, is a huge deal. We can actually talk and hear while under the AC.

Edited by Dp26

5 hours ago, Dp26 said:

Have it. Like it. Only concern is I happened to be wanting to clean the filter one day while it was running. Took the screws off, and can feel the intake air sucking and holding the cover up. Hints at some air restriction, but for me, the lesser sound is most important. For me, it has been on near a year. 5db (using phone app) better, which in a small rv, is a huge deal. We can actually talk and hear while under the AC.

May be so, but we do get more air through the vents. So there can not be any restrictions with the cover.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:30 AM, Kirk W said:

Any filter will restrict air flow and more so as it collects gunk.

Our hardware store sells a device that is basically a tube whistle you insert into your filter. As the filter gets clogged more air goes through the whistle which then sounds off when the filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. Clever gadget to my mind.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We used a tube whistle in a previous home's air handler filter, and it worked quite well. The only complaint we had with it was that it had a bad habit of sounding off at 2-3 am too often. ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system