Jump to content
maggie blair

3 slides on a 27 ft

Recommended Posts

I currently have a class C motorhome, but I am looking at a class a 27 foot Class A gas RV with three slides. I’m worried about all of the extra weight on such a short motorhome. Has any one bought one of these motorhomes? If so how is traveling with the extra weight? 
Thanks in advance for any information you might share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know of any class A with 3 slides that is less than 28' which Winnebago has. At least in looking at the manufacturer websites I didn't find any. You are wise to consider the weights and also look at the weight distribution. Our gas powered class A was driver side heavy and so I had to load all or our heaviest possessions to the passenger side for good handling. If the coach you are looking at does not have weight information you need to get it before you put any money down. It is good to take one through a truck scale to at least have accurate axle and total weights to compare to the gross weight(GVWR).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be sure to compare the dry weight to the gross vehicle weight on these small rigs with 3 slides.  You will probably find you have very little cargo carrying capacity.  Maybe a little as 500 pounds.   

A Kirk suggested, take the rig and get it weighed.  There are truck stops all over the place with "CAT" scales.  You just drive on to the scale push the call button and tell them you want to be weighed, then go in and pay about $15 for your weight ticket.  

Do an internet search for "CAT Scales" and find the locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I don't know of any class A with 3 slides that is less than 28' which Winnebago has. At least in looking at the manufacturer websites I didn't find any. You are wise to consider the weights and also look at the weight distribution. Our gas powered class A was driver side heavy and so I had to load all or our heaviest possessions to the passenger side for good handling. If the coach you are looking at does not have weight information you need to get it before you put any money down. It is good to take one through a truck scale to at least have accurate axle and total weights to compare to the gross weight(GVWR).

Thank you Kirk. The weight is a problem. The RV is a Itasca 27 Sunstar but it might be 28 ft. 
Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maggie blair said:

Thank you Kirk. The weight is a problem. The RV is a Itasca 27 Sunstar but it might be 28 ft. 
Thanks again

That looks like an excellent rig to me. The weights and capacities look livable. It's about halfway between the 24' and the 35' Winnebagos (Itasca is a Winnebago brand) we owned and both worked well. Our 35' one had three slides. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this rig if I was in the market for a gas Class A.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandsys said:

That looks like an excellent rig to me. The weights and capacities look livable. It's about halfway between the 24' and the 35' Winnebagos (Itasca is a Winnebago brand) we owned and both worked well. Our 35' one had three slides. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this rig if I was in the market for a gas Class A.

Linda Sand

Thank you Linda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears you're looking at an Itasca Sunstar 27N model.  Here are the specs.  Also, looking at pictures on rvtrader it appears to have a very long overhang which, as is, would cause very poor handling.  You'd be wise to add heavy duty springs, chocks and sway bar for safety.

Itasca Sunstar 27N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2gypsies said:

It appears you're looking at an Itasca Sunstar 27N model.  Here are the specs.  Also, looking at pictures on rvtrader it appears to have a very long overhang which, as is, would cause very poor handling.  You'd be wise to add heavy duty springs, chocks and sway bar for safety.

Itasca Sunstar 27N

Thank you. Good ideas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, maggie blair said:

Used. I can’t afford a new one.

 

It was the new one I looked at so my answer would be similar but not the same for used. I would need to know more about the specific used one, such as its specs and condition, before I committed to buying it.

Linda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

As previously recommended, obtain actual weights, do not depend upon mfgr. published weights to be actual. A four-corner weight would be best. This Goodyear document (pg9) shows how:  https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

That document is a tad overwhelming but contains lots of good information. 

What I did was get a certified full vehicle weight before purchase--preferably during a test drive. That let me know how much gear I could bring. Once loaded I would go the a facility like Smart Weigh and get an individual weight for each wheel. That would tell me how I needed to shift my contents. In my van, because I didn't have a passenger, I need to use the passenger seat and floor area to store heavy things like tools and canned goods. Once I had everything moved to where I thought it needed to be I would do a final weigh just to be sure I didn't overlook anything. 

Keeping your vehicle well balanced helps it track better which also make for good milage and less wear on your tires as well as being less tiring to drive. After all RVing is supposed to be fun not work.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, maggie blair said:

I currently have a class C motorhome, but I am looking at a class a 27 foot Class A gas RV with three slides. I’m worried about all of the extra weight on such a short motorhome. Has any one bought one of these motorhomes? If so how is traveling with the extra weight? 
Thanks in advance for any information you might share.

We have a 2014 Winnebago 27N (28') (1st owners) with 3 slides on Ford gas chassis.  No problems with weight handling or toad towing.  It is FOR SALE and is located in Green Valley, AZ.  Respond to us and we'll provide whatever info you would like.  It is fully loaded with original and after market extras!!!  520-686-0803 (leave message)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

RVAir The cleanest air in RVing!

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...