3 slides on a 27 ft

maggie blair

I currently have a class C motorhome, but I am looking at a class a 27 foot Class A gas RV with three slides. I’m worried about all of the extra weight on such a short motorhome. Has any one bought one of these motorhomes? If so how is traveling with the extra weight? 
Thanks in advance for any information you might share.

Maggie Blair

I don't know of any class A with 3 slides that is less than 28' which Winnebago has. At least in looking at the manufacturer websites I didn't find any. You are wise to consider the weights and also look at the weight distribution. Our gas powered class A was driver side heavy and so I had to load all or our heaviest possessions to the passenger side for good handling. If the coach you are looking at does not have weight information you need to get it before you put any money down. It is good to take one through a truck scale to at least have accurate axle and total weights to compare to the gross weight(GVWR).

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Be sure to compare the dry weight to the gross vehicle weight on these small rigs with 3 slides.  You will probably find you have very little cargo carrying capacity.  Maybe a little as 500 pounds.   

A Kirk suggested, take the rig and get it weighed.  There are truck stops all over the place with "CAT" scales.  You just drive on to the scale push the call button and tell them you want to be weighed, then go in and pay about $15 for your weight ticket.  

Do an internet search for "CAT Scales" and find the locations.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I don't know of any class A with 3 slides that is less than 28' which Winnebago has. At least in looking at the manufacturer websites I didn't find any. You are wise to consider the weights and also look at the weight distribution. Our gas powered class A was driver side heavy and so I had to load all or our heaviest possessions to the passenger side for good handling. If the coach you are looking at does not have weight information you need to get it before you put any money down. It is good to take one through a truck scale to at least have accurate axle and total weights to compare to the gross weight(GVWR).

Thank you Kirk. The weight is a problem. The RV is a Itasca 27 Sunstar but it might be 28 ft. 
Thanks again

Maggie Blair

1 hour ago, maggie blair said:

Thank you Kirk. The weight is a problem. The RV is a Itasca 27 Sunstar but it might be 28 ft. 
Thanks again

That looks like an excellent rig to me. The weights and capacities look livable. It's about halfway between the 24' and the 35' Winnebagos (Itasca is a Winnebago brand) we owned and both worked well. Our 35' one had three slides. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this rig if I was in the market for a gas Class A.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

That looks like an excellent rig to me. The weights and capacities look livable. It's about halfway between the 24' and the 35' Winnebagos (Itasca is a Winnebago brand) we owned and both worked well. Our 35' one had three slides. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this rig if I was in the market for a gas Class A.

Linda Sand

Thank you Linda.

Maggie Blair

It appears you're looking at an Itasca Sunstar 27N model.  Here are the specs.  Also, looking at pictures on rvtrader it appears to have a very long overhang which, as is, would cause very poor handling.  You'd be wise to add heavy duty springs, chocks and sway bar for safety.

Itasca Sunstar 27N

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Just now, 2gypsies said:

It appears you're looking at an Itasca Sunstar 27N model.  Here are the specs.  Also, looking at pictures on rvtrader it appears to have a very long overhang which, as is, would cause very poor handling.  You'd be wise to add heavy duty springs, chocks and sway bar for safety.

Itasca Sunstar 27N

Thank you. Good ideas. 

Maggie Blair

5 hours ago, maggie blair said:

Used. I can’t afford a new one.

It was the new one I looked at so my answer would be similar but not the same for used. I would need to know more about the specific used one, such as its specs and condition, before I committed to buying it.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

As previously recommended, obtain actual weights, do not depend upon mfgr. published weights to be actual. A four-corner weight would be best. This Goodyear document (pg9) shows how:  https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

As previously recommended, obtain actual weights, do not depend upon mfgr. published weights to be actual. A four-corner weight would be best. This Goodyear document (pg9) shows how:  https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

That document is a tad overwhelming but contains lots of good information. 

What I did was get a certified full vehicle weight before purchase--preferably during a test drive. That let me know how much gear I could bring. Once loaded I would go the a facility like Smart Weigh and get an individual weight for each wheel. That would tell me how I needed to shift my contents. In my van, because I didn't have a passenger, I need to use the passenger seat and floor area to store heavy things like tools and canned goods. Once I had everything moved to where I thought it needed to be I would do a final weigh just to be sure I didn't overlook anything. 

Keeping your vehicle well balanced helps it track better which also make for good milage and less wear on your tires as well as being less tiring to drive. After all RVing is supposed to be fun not work.

Linda Sand

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, maggie blair said:

I currently have a class C motorhome, but I am looking at a class a 27 foot Class A gas RV with three slides. I’m worried about all of the extra weight on such a short motorhome. Has any one bought one of these motorhomes? If so how is traveling with the extra weight? 
Thanks in advance for any information you might share.

We have a 2014 Winnebago 27N (28') (1st owners) with 3 slides on Ford gas chassis.  No problems with weight handling or toad towing.  It is FOR SALE and is located in Green Valley, AZ.  Respond to us and we'll provide whatever info you would like.  It is fully loaded with original and after market extras!!!  520-686-0803 (leave message)