Saving on Gas money

da'gheens

What are your best tips and ideas for saving on gas / fuel costs? Other than the obvious to just not drive as much.

Do you use a membership card? Which one is best? Is buying gas at certain locations or time of the week a benefit?

Any suggestions to us for keeping one of our biggest expense down.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Gas Buddy and also have the app on my phone. Also limit your speed as most large vehicles have a speed at which they are most fuel efficient and in general it will be somewhere around 50 or 60 mph. Every 5 mph increase in speed above that point will generally increase fuel consumption by approximately 10%. With our motorhome I used to cruise at about 60 mph. With my current diesel truck and trailer it seems to do best around 55 mph. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a Sam's Club cc that gives 5% cash back on fuel almost anywhere and use gasbuddy to find the cheaper stations.  The cheaper stations are usually busy for diesel, so they have good turnover.   Other than that just think of all of the fun you are having instead of the cost.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

When in tow and in travel we look for convivence in fueling such as easy  in , easy out and RV friendly . We primarily use FJ/Pilot with the RV plus card. We are truck and 5th wheel 54 feet long so we need some room to fuel. We have never had a issue with FJ/Pilot and many of them have restaurants  at a fair price. if needed.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We use our Good Sam Swipe and Save card at Pilot/Flying J for the fuel discount, and pay with our PenFed CU Visa card for an additional 5% savings that's automatically deducted from our balance each month.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Our truck burns diesel. We have a Pilot/Flying J fuel card (an actual credit card - not a discount card to use with a credit card) through Good Sam. We have an EFS fuel card for all the other truck stops. EFS actually has better discounts than the PFJ card. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

12 hours ago, Second Chance said:

Our truck burns diesel. We have a Pilot/Flying J fuel card (an actual credit card - not a discount card to use with a credit card) through Good Sam. We have an EFS fuel card for all the other truck stops. EFS actually has better discounts than the PFJ card. 

Rob

Pardon me, what is EFS fuel card? 

Everyone has had some great input. Our CC has cash back on gas purchases and there are some other cards specific to a company or franchise with discounts. I was wondering which ones you find to be the best? It would have to be a place you can get gas nationwide right? Like truck stops (flying J) or shell stations. Or is there a gas app that actually pays good discounts. Something you could use on top of looking for the best pump prices. 

1 hour ago, da'gheens said:

Pardon me, what is EFS fuel card? 

Everyone has had some great input. Our CC has cash back on gas purchases and there are some other cards specific to a company or franchise with discounts. I was wondering which ones you find to be the best? It would have to be a place you can get gas nationwide right? Like truck stops (flying J) or shell stations. Or is there a gas app that actually pays good discounts. Something you could use on top of looking for the best pump prices. 

The EFS fuel card is offered through TSD Logistics: https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/ . It offers discounts at all the major truck stops.

The Pilot/Flying J card is in conjunction with Good Sam Club and is only good at PFJ travel centers.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

8 hours ago, Second Chance said:

The EFS fuel card is offered through TSD Logistics: 

TSD Logistics is a trucking company and it seems that they are selling their fuel discounts to the public as a secondary service. That makes me wonder just a bit if the fuel sellers will eventually object to that marketing to those of us who buy our diesel in smaller quantities? I have considered one but my diesel truck only has a 35 gallon tank. If there is a minimum size fuel purchase, I was not able to find it. 

Does anyone know if there are other trucking companies who do this?

I did some research into the EFS card andlooks like they offer this so they can guarantee larger "bulk" purchases and get big discounts for their truckers.

Its a good offer once you consider the few conditions you have to deal with when fueling up. The only big downside is it does not work for regular gas, only diesel. If they offered it for regular gas every car on the road would have it!

Thanks all for your input. I didnt see any secret eye opening ideas that we didnt know about already. Thought I'd ask and see what everyone else does. You just never know. Happy travels y'all!

Kirk,  I know the ladies that run the fuel program at TSD Logistics.  They share that Loves has called them to say how pleased Loves is with the discount offered to motorhome owners.

Loves gets add-on sales without any additional accounts to deal with.  One discount account to TSD and thousands of motorhome owners benefit and no extra paperwork for Loves.

This is a driver's card, so if you stop at any truck pump other than the stated truck stops, you pay the posted cash price, no discount.  Since there is no savings, there is no fee.  10% of zero savings is $0.  But why stop where there is no discount, unless you are desparate for diesel, when Loves is just down the road.

TA/Petro is about 10 cents per gallon less than Loves.  Pilot/Flying J is starting to offer mcuh better that the original 10 cents per gallon that they started with.  Today in Baytown the discount is $0.1487 per gallon at a purchase price of $2.5503.  Across the street at Loves the purchase price is $2.4736.  Several weeks ago the Loves Baytown was at $2.38, diesel is up right now.

TSD gets extra diesel volumn to help discount negotaions with truck stops, Loves gets extra motorhome business they have been missing and motorhome owners get serious diesel discounts.  Everyone wins.

3 minutes ago, Trainer said:

They share that Loves has called them to say how pleased Loves is with the discount offered to motorhome owners.

I found nothing about only issuing it for a motorhome there. Most motorhomes have fairly large fuel tanks but those of us who tow a trailer with a diesel pickup truck typically have a tank of 35 gallons or so. 

Kirk,  To get the real answer to your concern, call Gina Leeper, head of the fuel program.  She will give you the straight answer.  903/831-8941 direct to her desk, Mon to Fri.  Will probably need to leave a voice mail for her to reurn your call.

My bet is she says happy to have you as a card holder.  Your truck filler neck needs to be bigger than a car filler neck as card only good at a truck diesel pump.  So no go at Bucc-ees for instance.

Post her reply, please Sir.  Merry Christmas to you all

Tsd logistics for diesel,  you have to use the truck lanes. There is no minimum requirement.  The efs card is linked to a checking account.  They debit transaction from it 24 to 48 hours after the transaction. Cost nothing to use, No fees ever, Tsd gets 10 percentage of the savings. Theres an app to show you real time fuel prices and discounts. Check their website,  call them for questions.  Takes a couple weeks to get set up, cards issued. 

You could always get something like this low tech, oat powered approach: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/my-grandparents-traveled-the-country-in-a-horse-drawn-camper-16804.html

Or if you have a lot of coin but want to save money on gas, the high tech approach: 

But if you don't have much coin there's still a third option (that you don't have to feed oats).

https://www.pinterest.com/ericfro/pedal-powered-rvs/

An extra candy bar now and then is all the fuel you'll need.

Chip

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 7:47 AM, Trainer said:

Kirk,  I know the ladies that run the fuel program at TSD Logistics.  They share that Loves has called them to say how pleased Loves is with the discount offered to motorhome owners.

Loves gets add-on sales without any additional accounts to deal with.  One discount account to TSD and thousands of motorhome owners benefit and no extra paperwork for Loves.

This is a driver's card, so if you stop at any truck pump other than the stated truck stops, you pay the posted cash price, no discount.  Since there is no savings, there is no fee.  10% of zero savings is $0.  But why stop where there is no discount, unless you are desparate for diesel, when Loves is just down the road.

TA/Petro is about 10 cents per gallon less than Loves.  Pilot/Flying J is starting to offer mcuh better that the original 10 cents per gallon that they started with.  Today in Baytown the discount is $0.1487 per gallon at a purchase price of $2.5503.  Across the street at Loves the purchase price is $2.4736.  Several weeks ago the Loves Baytown was at $2.38, diesel is up right now.

TSD gets extra diesel volumn to help discount negotaions with truck stops, Loves gets extra motorhome business they have been missing and motorhome owners get serious diesel discounts.  Everyone wins.

i had to re-read and double check the posting date.

but diesel under $2.40 usd a gallon? 

i wish i could find diesel under $3.80 usd a gallon around where i live. some places closer to the citys are over $4.00usd a gallon.

it costs to live in ca. but at least we have good weather. and get to boon-dock in our fixed homes when the state shuts off the power.