Anyone use Reverse Mortgage/HECM For Purchase of your RV?

cheryljor

Hello all. Newbie to posting in Escapees forum here. We lived FT in in our 34' fifth wheel 2006-2008, then bought a house and parked the RV. We are retired now and are researching possibilities on purchase of another RV to live in FT again. This time...diesel pusher and sell the house. My question is: has anyone out there utilized a Reverse Mortgage/Home Equity Conversion Mortgage loan (HECM) for purchase to buy their RV, then sell the house? Sounds do-able, but at this point I am hoping to get opinions on the members' experiences on this topic. Thank you in advance!

Edited by cheryljor

We took out the HEL in 1999 to pay for a two month tour of Madagascar.  Used it again to buy our motorhome in 2003 as well as our toad.  Then a new roof on the house and a two month tour of New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji. Came in handy for our second toad also.

Paid it down to zero two years ago but still have the line of credit if need be.  Just about equal to a new Phaeton....just saying.

However we kept the house and don't intend on selling.

I don't know how you can sell the house when the bank holds the mortgage on the Home equity loan? 

I am waiting to see what others have experienced.

Thank You

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

A HECM "Reverse Mortgage" will give you about 40-50% of the equity value of your house less any outstanding liens. If that will be enough to purchase your RV, then your idea may work out. Beware of repayment time limits though, that may affect your timeline. HUD has some good information available that would be worthwhile looking into.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/hecm/hecmhome

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 hours ago, rockylarson said:

We took out the HEL in 1999 to pay for a two month tour of Madagascar.  Used it again to buy our motorhome in 2003 as well as our toad.  Then a new roof on the house and a two month tour of New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji. Came in handy for our second toad also.

Paid it down to zero two years ago but still have the line of credit if need be.  Just about equal to a new Phaeton....just saying.

However we kept the house and don't intend on selling.

I don't know how you can sell the house when the bank holds the mortgage on the Home equity loan? 

I am waiting to see what others have experienced.

Thank You

Congrats! Sounds like you had excellent planning!

We took out a home equity loan in 2008 to buy our first full timing RV. The loan was then paid off at closing when we sold the house. Lots of calls to various places to make all the wire transfers but it went smoothly.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The OP is asking about a HECM (Home Equity Conversion Mortgage) commonly known as a "Reverse Mortgage", not a HELOC (Home Equity Line Of Credit). Completely different critters....

Dutch

My understanding is you must live in the house. Once you leave the money is due. A HECM is different from all other types of mortgages. It does not become due for as long as the homeowner lives in the property as their primary residence, continues to pay required property taxes and insurance and maintains the home according to FHA requirements.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

3 hours ago, accumack said:

My understanding is you must live in the house. Once you leave the money is due. A HECM is different from all other types of mortgages. It does not become due for as long as the homeowner lives in the property as their primary residence, continues to pay required property taxes and insurance and maintains the home according to FHA requirements.

Exactly, and "live in the house" does not preclude normal absences for vacations, snowbirding, etc.

Dutch

4 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Exactly, and "live in the house" does not preclude normal absences for vacations, snowbirding, etc.

I agree. We continued to "live in our house" the first two years that we "full-timed".  We returned for a week or two in the Spring and Fall, but until we put it on the market and sold it it was considered to be owner-occupied. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We re-financed our house to buy the MH, mortgage is 3.5%, which is much less than RV financing. We then doubled up on mortgage payments, with the 2nd going to principal only. Were we not financially responsible this may have not been a good idea.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

THIS would seem to indicate that there are specific circumstances that could result in the loss of the home, and "outliving" the mortgage isn't one of them.  I wonder what the specific circumstances were of the two cases you are aware of.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

58 minutes ago, Sehc said:

They were put out of their homes. 

Please tell us more as I know someone who is looking into a reverse mortgage.....

Can I Lose My Home?

The answer is yes, you can lose your home with a reverse mortgage.  However, there are only specific situations where this may occur:

• You no longer live in your home as your primary residence. 
    • You move or sell your home.
    • You are away from your home for more than six months of the year for non-medical reasons.
    • You are away from your home for more than 12 consecutive months.
    • You pass away and your spouse or partner is not listed on the loan as a co-borrower or non-borrowing spouse.
  • You stop paying property taxes and homeowner’s insurance.
  • You don’t maintain the home according to FHA requirements.

Failure to meet these requirements can trigger a loan default that may result in foreclosure.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have had a Home Equity Loan for many years. We use it when we need it. The interest rates are low and $$ can be available  in seconds. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

The reverse mortgage doesn't make sense for the OP. (Planning to sell home and go FT). A HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) would make much more sense, involve very low fees in most cases, and would simply be paid off at closing when the home is sold. A HELOC with a loan to value ratio of less than a certain %, will usually not require an appraisal. Closing costs are a fraction of those involved in a reverse mortgage or traditional mortgage.

Reverse mortgages involve steep fees and come with the unpleasant experience of getting a monthly mortgage statement showing an ever increasing balance due to the lender. As long as the homeowner keeps current on real estate taxes and insurance, the homeowner can usually stay in the home until death. For a retiree with limited resources, who absolutely wants to stay in their home, it's an option worth exploring, when staying is otherwise not financially feasible.

There are no commissions paid to the originator of a home equity line of credit. On the other hand, mortgage originators get a big fee when a reverse mortgage is sold because of the high fees and potential profit to the lender.

Wings Financial is a good place to start for a HELOC if you have the ability to join them. 

I don't know the exact circumstances. I do know it wasn't anything on that list. My uncle was told he had collected all the money agreed to. He had to repay or move out. The house was put to sale, he moved in with his daughter. All I am saying is be sure to understand the contract, and how long you plan to live.

Edited by Sehc
spell check error

My recollection is that in the early days of reverse mortgages regulations were very loose and there were some really bad ones.  At this point I think that they are more regulated in terms of what can and cannot legally be done. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels