Turbo install on Volvo VNL with the 12.1 liter.

Parrformance

I spent 4 hours this morning removing the turbo from my EGR equipped VED12d Volvo in my VNL 780.

When I receive the replacement and get it installed, should I prelude this turbo with fresh oil before starting the truck?

Any other tips on this procedure?

Thanks,

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Pre-lube by pulling the ECM fuse, and cranking over the engine a bit. Replace the fuse, and go to town. Before you get that far, make sure the clocking of the turbo flanges is identical. Close will only make you curse. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yes. In fact, expect to have to align the flanges. There's just too many applications for a one size fits all. You may get lucky, but don't count on it. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

10-4 Thank you for you advice.

All the EGR piping and the large exhaust brake assembly will be daunting to get lined up again.

The cold side has a coupler and two large O-rings, should I replace these while it's apart? 

Should I use antisieze on anything?

Jackalopee

2 hours ago, Parrformance said:

10-4 Thank you for you advice.

All the EGR piping and the large exhaust brake assembly will be daunting to get lined up again.

The cold side has a coupler and two large O-rings, should I replace these while it's apart? 

Should I use antisieze on anything?

I would replace the O-rings while its apart.  They're old, and have been thru miles and heat cycles.  When I was playing with the Cummins 5.9 engines, I always used anti-seize on the studs or bolts on the exhaust side connections. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

4 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

If you decide to use anti seize, get some nickel based instead of copper based.

Hmm.  I always thought the copper based was generally for high heat.  I also thought, you never use nickel based with stainless, and his fasteners may be stainless, or some nickel content.  Where am I going wrong?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Mark, thanks for the info.  A long time ago, I was told, by someone I trusted, that I shouldn't use nickel based when installing stainless fasteners into aluminum parts, because you want dissimilar metals.  Apparently that was false, or was it because of the aluminum?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

17 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Mark, thanks for the info.  A long time ago, I was told, by someone I trusted, that I shouldn't use nickel based when installing stainless fasteners into aluminum parts, because you want dissimilar metals.  Apparently that was false, or was it because of the aluminum?

I was taught the opposite. Never use copper based with aluminum (aluminum based in that case) and we always used nickel based in high heat areas. It will help when the times comes to remove exhaust bolts and studs from manifolds, headers, turbos and the like as the nickel based stuff is good to 2,300 or 2,400 degrees or so.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Now I'm really corn-fused.  I googled "high temp anti-seize" and found both copper and nickle based by Permatex.  I keep both on the bench.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

And to add to this mix, new products are formulated differently from what we used when 

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

A long time ago, I was told, by someone I trusted, that I shouldn't

Its an Old Guy thing for sure.  The most important thing about all of this is that our good training has taught us that we use anti-seize.  No dry fitment!

Marcel

I remember the first time I saw someone using it.  He was carefully coating every thread of each fastener, and I thought, "What a waste of time."  Now I rarely assemble something without a dab.  Might be the wrong color, but it's better than nutt'n.

I found one product that's white and metal free.  Ceramic dust perhaps?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Turbo is in, thank you Daryl for the advice on clicking the turbo, both sides needed adjustment. Thank you Jim, went to the dealer and got all the seals I rings gaskets etc and replaced with new.  

Truck pulling much stronger now.

I used antisieze on just about everything. 

Thanks all for the help and advice.

One thing if you tackle this job yourself on a Volvo, remove the three oil filters and the oil filter housing FIRST, then proceed to R&R the turbo.

Michael

Jackalopee

• 1 month later...

Someone told me to expect to replace the turbo every 500,00 miles.  Your good.  do check the impeller in the cold side next time you are checking the air filter.  Look for play and especially a missing/chipped vein. 

Edited by Parrformance
Add description

Jackalopee