Installing new seats in the Pete, EZ bolt in installation, yeah right...........

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I learned many, many years ago that the scariest four words in the English language are, "Easy Bolt In Installation."  I have yet to see a product advertised as such be anything but a general pain it the arse in some way, shape or form when it comes to actually bolting it in.

And so it was to be when installing the new seats in the Pete.  Some of you may have read my thread concerning the problems encountered when removing the stock seats when one of the bolts that hold the seat down stripped out and the fiasco I had in getting that bolt out so the seat could be removed.  So now it was time to install the riv-nut so when installing the new seats I would have four bolts holding them in place.

The hole, where the stock threaded insert fell out after grinding the head off of the bolt.

IMG_4097-L.jpg

I used a bolt, a nut, a washer, and the stock seat spacer as a tool to install the riv-nut.

IMG_4099-L.jpg

The insert, installed.

IMG_4100-L.jpg

The spacer installed.

IMG_4101-L.jpg

Test fitting the hold down bolt in the repaired hole.

fullsizeoutput_30da-L.jpg

Now that I had good threaded holes it was time to install a seat.  The seats came assembled with the standard height mounting brackets, I had also bought the LOW mounts as I wanted the seats to sit lower then they did with the standard brackets.  OK, reading the included instructions, YES I did read the instructions, it said remove the four nuts holding the seats to the standard height mounting brackets, using the nuts install the LOW seat mount, then bolt the seats to the floor of the cab.  EASY right.  So I unbolted the standard height brackets, installed the LOW brackets with the help of my truck driving friend Steve, we lifted the seat into the cab and soon discovered that there was NO way to access the air lines to the control bracket fittings and there was NO way to access the two rear mounting bolts.

Some photos will make this clear.  This is the stock as delivered LOW seat mount.  Look close you can see the four bolts that hold this mount to the floor, this was a test install BEFORE I mounted the LOW bracket to the seat so I could see what had to be done. 

IMG_4096-L.jpg

So I then mounted the air line control bracket to the UNDERSIDE of the top of the mount using the two holes located in the front cross brace that goes across the top of the mount, I then mounted the seat to the LOW mount and go to install it in the truck.  Two things immediately become apparent with the seat bolted to the LOW mount.  ONE there is no way to connect the air lines as you simply can't get your hands in the space between the floor and the seat when its bolted to the LOW mount, TWO there is no way to get your hands or a wrench into the LOW seat mount to install the rear bolts when the seat is bolted to the LOW mount.

So, I take the seat out, study the situation and come up with a plan.  But BEFORE I start to modify things I try to mount the LOW mount to the floor and then try to mount the seat to the LOW mount, dong this allows EASY mounting of the LOW mount but there is NO way to get your hands in the space between the floor and the underside of the seat to install the four nuts that hold the seat to the LOW mount.  Time to do some modifying.

This shows the two large bolt access holes I drilled into the top cross member at the rear of the mount, this allowed using a socket and short extension to install the two rear bolts.

fullsizeoutput_30dc-L.jpg

I then drilled a hole on the side of the mount, installed a rubber grommet into that hole, this allowed the air line that is attached to the underside of the seat to exit through the side of the mount where the line can then be attached to the air line bracket.  I also drilled and tapped two hole on the side of the mount this allowed mounting the air line bracket on the outside where the main air feed line could be attached.

fullsizeoutput_30e0-L.jpg

Now that I can access the mounting bolts and attach the air lines I will mount the LOW mount to the seat and tomorrow if its not raining get around to finally installing the seats.  Stay tuned, more to follow.

I am going to add photos and commentary to this the original post, that way the whole story can be seen in one post.

I have now mounted the drivers seat, this shows the air fitting bracket with the air lines connected, the main air feed is the rear fitting, the line that goes through the grommet and under the seat feeds the manifold that supplies air to all of the seat adjustments.

IMG_4107-L.jpg

The seat with the left arm rest in the up-stored position.

IMG_4108-XL.jpg

The seat with the left arm rest in the down-support position.

IMG_4109-XL.jpg

I have not driven the truck with this seat but my first impression is WOW, these seats offer some real comfort and with all of the adjustments I am confident they will be great while on the road.  The angle of the back, is adjustable, as is the tilt of the entire seat, the shock is adjustable, three different lumbar and side bolster adjustments, the lenght of the bottom cushion is adjustable and its heated.  I do NOT trust myself to wire in the heating circuit I'll wait until I am at Chad's home and ask him to help me with I do NOT want to burn the truck up.  I am now working on getting the passenger seat ready to install, I'll try to get some photos showing how the large holes I put in the top-rear cross member allow the use of a socket and short extension to install the rear mounting bolts.  Stay tuned.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
cuz i cant sqell, added photos

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your post. I thought I was the only one that ever got thrown a bone. lol. I enjoyed the whole story with the pictures.

Thanks again Dave for sharing.
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thanks for sharing, for a moment I thought they were using an unusual air bag which looked like a tire on a wire wheel, then I realized you were using it as a work bench!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

5 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your post. I thought I was the only one that ever got thrown a bone. lol. I enjoyed the whole story with the pictures.

Thanks again Dave for sharing.
Al

Howdy Al,

I have found that misery shared is an easier burden to bear rather then to carry it alone.  That and I just enjoy telling stories as what I have learned may at some time help others who find themselves in a similar situation.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

Thanks for sharing, for a moment I thought they were using an unusual air bag which looked like a tire on a wire wheel, then I realized you were using it as a work bench!

Howdy Star Dreamer,

I often times use the Ural as a work bench, its mobile I can place tools and parts on it and use it to transport things like the seats rather then carry them.  In the photos you referenced I am using the spare tire and its mount on top of the trunk as the work bench.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Nicely done.  I’m looking forward to seeing it in person.  We’ll get the seat heaters wired up no problem.  I’ll show you how I did mine and then we can see f that will work for you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Nicely done.  I’m looking forward to seeing it in person.  We’ll get the seat heaters wired up no problem.  I’ll show you how I did mine and then we can see f that will work for you.

Howdy Chad,

Thanks, that will be wonderful.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I was wondering if you thought it would help to  take the seat off the upper base so that you could reach down through. When i had to fix my shock mount I just pulled the four bolts from the botom slide. The rubber came off as well. I am interested because my wife now wants new seats, someday, maybe, I have to admit I get lots of pain between my shoulders perhaps new seats would help but I doubt it.

27 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

I was wondering if you thought it would help to  take the seat off the upper base so that you could reach down through. When i had to fix my shock mount I just pulled the four bolts from the botom slide. The rubber came off as well. I am interested because my wife now wants new seats, someday, maybe, I have to admit I get lots of pain between my shoulders perhaps new seats would help but I doubt it.

Howdy L A L,

I mounted the passenger seat today, Once I modified the base so I could get a tool on the bolts it wasn't that bad.  I didn't look at taking the seat off of the upper base but I think with the seats that I have it would have been a real bugger to get those bolts back in.

New seats cost some bucks but I think the comfort they will provide makes the cost worth it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg