Windows 10 pc.s

bigjim

So does anyone recall when this era started?  I see I will need to get one in Jan when Windows 7 is no longer supported.  Am I  correct in thinking they only support systems 10 years mostly? Meaning I may not get a full 10 years of Windows 10 support.  Of course I am being optomistic that I will outlast it.

10 years.  That is longer than sack analog phones were supported.

As for needing a new PC, my current laptop started with Vista and is now on Windows 10 (1909).  And I got the new versions of Windows free by doing the upgrades when the offers were made.

If you are still on Win 7, your problem.  But you still can get to Win 10 if you want too for free.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

It isn't just Windows Support. It is security updates that stop. That will get you. My ThinkPad was supposed to be updatable to windows 10. When I tried through Lenovo, the update would not load. I spent a day dicking around with them. Then decided Lenovo isn't worth the trouble. Bought a new HP on black friday sale. 

Ditto Mark, but I replace every five years, or three, whether they work or not. My Dell 2720 is the one I kept longest as it is five years old! Top specs makes it possible for me. But it gets replaced this coming Thursday.

Support cycle refers to security and performance improvements as in the old SP 1,2, 3, (Service Pack 123) and supplied through updates. 

I have no problems as friends usually are waiting for my hand me downs. I prefer to sell to strangers to avoid becoming the personal free service tech for friends who buy from me. I can't refuse so it's much easier to sell locally from Marketplace etc. I get better responses from Thrifty Nickel/American Classifieds than Craigslist anymore.

Computers are fun!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Make sure you have an activated copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 with all updates installed.  Download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

Extract the files from the download to a flash drive.  Boot into your previous version of Windows and run setup.exe from the download.  Follow the prompts to install Windows 10.  Once the update is complete you will have a digital license and you can then do a clean install in the future.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

7 minutes ago, k4rs said:

Make sure you have an activated copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 with all updates installed.  Download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

Extract the files from the download to a flash drive.  Boot into your previous version of Windows and run setup.exe from the download.  Follow the prompts to install Windows 10.  Once the update is complete you will have a digital license and you can then do a clean install in the future.

Safe Travels...

Thanks.  After you go through this process, isn't the upgrade only good for 30 days?  At the end of 30 days, won't you need to buy the Win10 license to activate Win10?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Follow up on my earlier post.

A couple of months ago I upgraded my Win7 laptop using the exact method on the webpage posted above.  After all was done, I was prompted to activate Win10.  That took me to a Microsoft page and they wanted like $130 to activate my upgrade.  So, I returned my laptop to Win7.  I read a bunch of different methods of how to activate using hacks, but decided against that approach.

Today, after the above information, I went through the process again on another Win7 laptop.  The process went smoothly and at the end it said that my Win10 was already activated.

So, on one Win7 machine it worked but not on the other.  Both laptops had the original Win7 OS that it came with from the factory, one a Dell and the other an Acer.  Don't know why I got two different results.

Thanks for the link k4rs, it inspired me to try it again.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Just did the Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade without a license number on two PCs.  The steps listed are correct

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have done about a zillion upgrades from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10.  The only time I have run into activation problems is when there is an issue with the Microsoft server.  In that case, it will probably activate automatically the next time you go online.  The key is to start the upgrade process with Win 7 or 8.1 running.  If you boot from the flash drive or DVD the first time it  will prompt you for a key.  You can usually enter the key from the label on your computer but that is not always successful.  Once you have completed the upgrade and have the digital license for your computer, you can then boot from the media and clean install without loading the previous version of Windows first.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio