Strange Ad from CC

SWharton

I called Amazon and the generic answer was "we made a mistake". I felt they should have sent out a correction to those people affected. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We just use a single credit card and charge most everything on it, use very little cash, no reason to. My CU sends me an email as soon as a charge is made, pretty much instantaneous. We also get 2.5% back on all charges so that adds up to a tidy sum. Only carry this card. Pay it off every month. Charge as much as we can rest is deducted from checking.

Our retirement is in tax deferred investments, so we do have some federal tax due each year.   We've reached the point where we have to take Required Minimum Distributions, so federal income tax only.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

That's one reason why we set our auto-pay for things that are the same each month,  quarter, annual.   Don't do it for credit cards because I may make payments half way through the month depending upon how much I have charged on a particular card during that month.   But phone bill, health insurance, etc. are reoccurring charges that I now are coming and are always the same (or within a few pennies) each payment date.

AutoPay is the way we've paid reoccurring bills in a very long time with absolutely no issues.  We use one separate cash-back credit card to do it.  We don't use that card for anything else.

We use another credit cards for all our day-to-day shopping, restaurants, vehicle repairs, etc..  If it's compromised we don't have to change all our AutoPays to another card.  When a card is used in dealing with the public that's when they get compromised.  Not with AutoPay.

We pay the credit cards in full monthly through our checking account.  We use Quicken so we know where every penny goes and it's accounted for.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We use auto pay for recurring amounts. Other than that, I use one cash back credit card for my on-line purchases and Dave gets an alert each time I use it. He uses ApplyPay or a different card from mine for his purchases. We have a debit card we rarely use. Dave tracks everything very closely so if something bogus shows up he is able to alert our credit card companies immediately and they have always responded promptly. Thus, we have no fear of using any of this.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I love using my Apple Card with Apple Pay.  Gradually more and more clerks understand when I am using the phone what I am doing, but for those who have never seen it before, the DING always startles them, and then they start asking questions.   Salon where I get my haircut now accepts Apple Pay, as does 3 of our new favorite restaurants.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Like others, we do autopay for recurring amounts. Other payments, like the credit card that we use for everyday purchases, vary from month to month, so those are set up on an as-due schedule. We just schedule the payment date and amount.

Many years ago we had an interesting experience with an autopay. For some reason the mortgage company didn't have our homeowner's insurance properly recorded, so they took an extra penny out. Jo Ann caught it and called to find out what was up. It took a few days to get it straightened out, and then only when Jo Ann mentioned some three-letter groups (ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC). THAT got their attention. The mortgage company was content to drop their extra insurance and keep the penny. Jo Ann wasn't. They actually had to get the treasurer out of a meeting to authorize the return of the penny!

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I've started using Walmart Pay on my smartphone because it offers 5% off on in-store purchases compared to 2% on the Walmart MasterCard it's linked to.  At least for the next year.

You load the Walmart app on your smart phone, then when you're in the checkout line you open the app, select Walmart Pay from a drop-down menu, enter a PIN and scan the QR image on the checkout card reader display.  Overall it's slower and less convenient than swiping or inserting a credit card and I doubt I'll continue using it after the 5% cash back promo ends.

Edited by Lou Schneider

I have been using Walmart Pay for years. Initially they matched prices to all the other stores in the area and gave you money back if another store had the same item at a lower price. Walmart no longer does that. The main reason I use Walmart Pay now is that all the receipts are on my phone, with pictures of each item. This is great when I am in another store and wondering if a "sale" item is really a good price. If it is an item I normally buy I can look it up easily.