Yannick

Looking for basic lot in Texas

Hi everyone!

I am finally considering getting a deeded lot to grow stronger roots.  Ideally I would get something near Rainbow's End in Livingston, but I would be happy with many other locations in Texas.  Since this is my very first time shopping for land, I really don't know where to start.  I know people post about lots for sales here, but that probably only covers a very small fraction of the lots available.  Should I start calling real estate agents in Livingston or is there a better way to get my search started?

Thank you and happy travels!

On 12/3/2019 at 5:32 PM, 2gypsies said:

Here's a lot for sale with access to Lake Livingston for $4,900.  I just did a quick check & I'm sure you can find more.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Rolling-Wood-Dr-Livingston-TX-77351/2096582937_zpid/

This lot demonstrates one of the issues that you'll have to sort out right away.  It is in a development (Shelter Cove) that has deed restrictions including "No camping trailer...or other structure of a temporary character shall at any time... be used as a residence temporarily or permanently...".  This restriction will be the case in many subdivisions, developments, etc.  So if you are looking for a place to build an RV pad you will probably need to be out in unincorporated areas of a county, outside of formal developments. 

The key will be to either find unrestricted land, and recognize that your neighbors are also unrestricted in terms of what they can do, or look for a lot in an RV or Mobile Home type development that is set up for exactly that type of structure. There are thousands of developments like that scattered throughout Texas, so deciding what area(s) appeals to you and then contacting a realtor or getting online and searching for deeded RV parks or unrestricted acreage is your best bet.

Note that most counties will have a minimum required acreage for installation of a septic tank.  We lived in Bastrop County for 30 years and they required 2 acres minimum to permit a septic system. 

Edited by mptjelgin

Rainbow Parks, including Rainbows End in Livingston, have deeded 1/3 acre and smaller lots within the park.  Most are already developed and you own them outright just like any other real estate.

Edited by Lou Schneider

8 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Most are already developed and you own them outright just like any other real estate.

As we discovered about 10 years ago when we started to look for a place to return to part-time RV life, those at Rainbow's End are some of the highest priced real estate in Polk County, TX. 

13 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

This lot demonstrates one of the issues that you'll have to sort out right away.  It is in a development (Shelter Cove) that has deed restrictions including "No camping trailer...or other structure of a temporary character shall at any time... be used as a residence temporarily or permanently...".  This restriction will be the case in many subdivisions, developments, etc.  So if you are looking for a place to build an RV pad you will probably need to be out in unincorporated areas of a county, outside of formal developments. 

The key will be to either find unrestricted land, and recognize that your neighbors are also unrestricted in terms of what they can do, or look for a lot in an RV or Mobile Home type development that is set up for exactly that type of structure. There are thousands of developments like that scattered throughout Texas, so deciding what area(s) appeals to you and then contacting a realtor or getting online and searching for deeded RV parks or unrestricted acreage is your best bet.

Note that most counties will have a minimum required acreage for installation of a septic tank.  We've lived in Bastrop County for 30 years and they required 2 acres minimum to permit a septic system. 

But less acreage if an aerobic system is used

There are several parks in the Mission area that have deeded lots where you can park your RV and/or build a house.  Have no idea what they cost.

Thank you for the information, everyone.  This should be enough to get my search started.

I'm sure this has been covered many times, so feel free to point me to the relevant threads.  When getting a lot outside of Polk County.  Should I keep Polk as my domicile if I'm having the Escapees process all my mail?

8 hours ago, Yannick said:

Should I keep Polk as my domicile if I'm having the Escapees process all my mail?

I probably would do that unless you actually plan to develop a home base and get mail on the lot you are thinking of buying. But remember that you don't gain anything related to domicile by purchase of real property in TX as the state accepts your current address/domicile for all purposes. If you want to buy because you plan to eventually settle in TX, or to spend extended periods on that land but if you expect to settle somewhere else when you stop fulltime RV travels, I'd not buy now. If you do buy outside of Polk Co. and make that your domicile, you will then need some means to get any mail that does go to that spot forwarded to you. It is probably going to be less problem if you don't change domicile. 

Here is a link to a thread I participated in regarding deeded lots in the RGV:

I've ruled out the RGV for myself, but many folks are very happy down there.

I am thinking about developing RV "condo" lots in Liberty county TX. What do you think I should included in the development? Can you give me an idea of what the average RVer would be looking for in a RV condo development, and what the average RVer would be willing to pay for a lot. Also what they might be will to pay for HOA fees? Can anyone give me an idea "how I could reach out and let the RV community " know about such a project?

I recently purchased a diesel pusher which has opened my eyes to this lifestyle and all the possibilities.

I am just interested in hearing what everyone might have to say about this subject.

Thanks

We are probably not typical RVers but we have a lot that we have been going to for years.  It is not in a park.  We had a dog so we wanted a fenced area and we like a little more room (1.3 acres).  We of course have full hookups and we built a shed that houses a washer and dryer and some storage.  Trash is somewhat of a problem as most companies prefer to bill for months at a time.  Sewer is septic and the only other bill besides water and electric is taxes.  If we were to sell today the proceeds would easily cover all of our expenses including taxes and utilities and then some.  We are not full timers so our home insurance has a free add on for the lot.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, Zebopman said:

Can anyone give me an idea "how I could reach out and let the RV community " know about such a project?

You might get more ideas if you were to post your information request in the General Forum as many do not read these ads unless they are shopping. Once you begin to develop the RV property idea you would probably do well by advertising in places like Escapees Magazine and FMCA magazine. 

I have a small parcel that fronts Sandy Creek, on the upper arm of Lake Travis, along the very edge Jonestown, 45 minutes to downtown Austin.  I intend to advertise for sale in the early Spring but am available to respond to inquiries now should there be interest. Photos, video and info by request. $35k

Charlie Locke

4 hours ago, Charlie Locke said:

I intend to advertise for sale in the early Spring but am available to respond to inquiries now should there be interest.

You haven't said how one can contact you??

42 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

You haven't said how one can contact you??

If you'll hover your mouse cursor over their username, then click on "Message", you can send them a private message explaining your interest.